Unlimited access >

Tall Field Boot Recommendations

I am looking at purchasing my first pair of tall field boots. My budget is up to $1000. I would like to get a good quality pair that will last years. I have tried on a few Ariat pairs at Dover saddlery and they are OK. One of my calves is a bit bigger than the other (who knew?) so I was between a slim and xslim. One of my horsie friends said to go with the smaller and have them stretched.

Any insights and recommendations appreciated.

What Ariat style were you trying? I don’t believe they come in an “xslim”

With that kind of budget, you can probably do custom. Unless you are a teenager. Then I wouldn’t spend anywhere near that much and just get something that’s comfortable and that you like.

I would try Sergio Grassos, they’ve got a ton of fit options and are great boots.

Where are you located? I just left the Maryland Saddlery Consignment shop in Crofton MD and tried on a “mismatched” pair of Ariat field boots (sz 9). One shaft was slim, the other was med. $420. Didn’t fit me, but if you’re anywhere near Crofton, MD - get over there and try them on. :slight_smile:

Oh…I guess it must have been between regular and slim then. I tried on a couple. I think the Heritage and Challenge. I think I tried the Quantum too.

Thanks Anna …I am a 7.5 so I think the 9s would be too big a stretch, but thanks for sharing the Saddlery…I might go up and check them out.

Thanks…Sergio Grassos had excellent reviews on the Dover website. I don’t think they carry them in the stores though, so would have to order online.

If you order from SmartPak, there is free return shipping on sized items, so you can return if they don’t fit. But more importantly, not sure it always makes sense to buy the more expensive boots for your first tall boots. I like the Sergio Grassos but didn’t love them for day in/day out boots as they didn’t drop the way I’d wanted them to. Others may have different views. Rather, I found the more basic Ariats have worked well for me and held up pretty well (I have one pair that are 9 years old and still going strong, another pair that are a couple years old and still polish up beautifully). You could get two pairs of the middle line Ariats or MountainHorse for your budget, plus, it wouldn’t break your heart if you had to replace them in 4-5 years. Also, keep your eyes open for used boots - in addition to the customs out there at resale and eBay, there are often a lot of older but still beautiful Effinghams, Ariats, etc. particularly if your heart isn’t set on having zippers, there are some gorgeous boots around and -bonus - already broken in.

My ariats are 10 years old, and I love them. They are old-fashioned pull-ons, and you couldn’t beat them with a stick. However, I’ve heard Ariat has had some quality issues/inconsistencies in recent years, and I’ve known lots of people with zipper problems.

I’d get the bigger boot (regular) as it’s easier to wear a thicker sock on one leg than to have the boot stretched. I’ll second SmartPak. What a great company!

DeNiros from Smartpak. They might be eligible for the 15% off sale.

I would try Treadsteps too, they run slim and are nice quality.

Throwing in a dark horse: I just bought the TuffRider Wellesley boot, which is a very passable rip on the Parlanti Denver, and I REALLY like this boot. I was blown away it was only $259. I really regret buying Parlantis now and I am only keeping them because I got a deal on the Parlantis so I’m saving them for showing.

Ariat isn’t what it used to be (Chinese quality control hiccups, like with a lot of companies). Just check out all the fairly recent models being dumped on Ebay with broken studs and zippers. Now the older ones without zippers could be a deal. You could get a great quality pair of used boots and err on the side of slim leg then take them to your shoe repair shop for stretching or a strip of elastic added on the inside to customize them for you. (I hate new boots!)

[QUOTE=yellowbritches;7502436]
With that kind of budget, you can probably do custom. Unless you are a teenager. Then I wouldn’t spend anywhere near that much and just get something that’s comfortable and that you like.[/QUOTE]

This. On that budget, you can easily afford Dehners, the Vogel Young Rider Boot, La Mundial, Casas de las Botas, etc. For someone with two different calf sizes, that might be a very practical investment. Dehners, in particular, will last damn near forever. I know people who are still riding in Dehners made in the 1980s.

cant beat sergio. expensive, but worth it. I am a strange in between calf size and was able to go semi custom (not sure where your located but some stores do size people then order the boot for you)
they require zero break in, fit like a glove, and look amazing. before sergio i always bought cheap, then tried a semi expensive ariat and hated it.

I have Sarm Hippique dressage topped, zipped boots. They were an 18th birthday present and I’m now 28 and they still look as good as they did when I first got them, super comfortable, very smart and will last you a long time. Love them!

[QUOTE=Meredith Clark;7504265]
I would try Treadsteps too, they run slim and are nice quality.[/QUOTE]

My husband actually just got me the Tredstep Donatellos this weekend as a birthday present (GOOD HUSBAND). I love them so far! I need to break them in and get 'em to drop, but I love the way they fit me.

[QUOTE=PaintedHunter;7504745]
My husband actually just got me the Tredstep Donatellos this weekend as a birthday present (GOOD HUSBAND). I love them so far! I need to break them in and get 'em to drop, but I love the way they fit me.[/QUOTE]

I’ve had a pair of the Tredstep Donatello’s and the DaVinci’s and i love them both, lots of sizing options too! Half your budget as well! SmartPak sell them both so if you don’t like them you get free returns. The Donatello’s break in faster but in my opinion the DaVinci’s last longer, so they’re worth the extra break in time :smiley:

[QUOTE=LeapOfFaith;7504884]
I’ve had a pair of the Tredstep Donatello’s and the DaVinci’s and i love them both, lots of sizing options too! Half your budget as well! SmartPak sell them both so if you don’t like them you get free returns. The Donatello’s break in faster but in my opinion the DaVinci’s last longer, so they’re worth the extra break in time :D[/QUOTE]

How much did yours drop, if I might ask? I’m hoping a decent amount, as mine are decidedly too high.