Unlimited access >

Tall socks- inside or outside

Socks over breeches, and I like to get all sorts of weird patterned ones. My college cycling team was sponsored by a sock company, so I have like a gagillion pairs of weird ones…sharks, ponies, solar system, flowers, our team logo, cats, cats with weird sayings.

And I most certainly wear them out in public…the breeches are weird enough, I figure the socks aren’t really making things that much worse.

[QUOTE=Dutchmare433;8509980]
Socks over breeches, and I like to get all sorts of weird patterned ones. My college cycling team was sponsored by a sock company, so I have like a gagillion pairs of weird ones…sharks, ponies, solar system, flowers, our team logo, cats, cats with weird sayings.

And I most certainly wear them out in public…the breeches are weird enough, I figure the socks aren’t really making things that much worse.[/QUOTE]

Same here :smiley:

So is it only me that wears two pairs of socks? Thin ones under the breeches and the long ones over!

[QUOTE=Nous;8510023]
So is it only me that wears two pairs of socks? Thin ones under the breeches and the long ones over![/QUOTE]

I do! The thinnest microfibre socks I can find (crew sock length) under the breeches, then the tall socks over. It creates a “slide plane” between the two pairs of socks and you never get any heel rubs. I was at a two week Mounted Unit seminar where we were in boots all day every day, walking a lot as well as riding and my system worked perfectly for me. Others ended up with some nasty rubs.

I wear my socks over my breeches out of habit. During the summer, I live in flip flops including to and from the barn. Easier to get socks on and off when they are over my breeches.

Socks peeking out over the top of [street] boots is a current trend in fashion. Manufacturers are designing the top cuff of boot socks with an extra eye to looks, as the socks are supposed to show. There is even a product called a boot cuff or topper that is a separate piece.

Example of sock

Example of look

I’d say that fashion is bleeding into the horse show world.

Out! The crazier the sock, the better.

[QUOTE=Nous;8510023]
So is it only me that wears two pairs of socks? Thin ones under the breeches and the long ones over![/QUOTE]

I do this too!

[QUOTE=toady123;8510351]
I do this too![/QUOTE]

Same here! I wear ankle socks underneath so that my boots don’t rub my heel.
Then I put the crazy colorful ones over my breeches.

[QUOTE=toady123;8510351]
I do this too![/QUOTE]

I used to do the double socks but then I started using the Peddies from Noble Outfitters and they have a thicker bottom so no need to double up.

I’m also a tall socks on the outside person. I’ve never heard of anyone putting their tall socks UNDER their breeches until now!!
I always found that back in the days of my pull on boots - having your tall socks over your breeches helped the boot slide on/off easier, and added bonus - kept the velcro part laying down smooth since I always have some overlap.

Over, to anchor the breeches down and make it easier to zip things up!

I live in a very horsey area (10 min to TBird!). Ran into Home Depot one day on my way to the barn… asked where the tool chests were. Guy looked at my breeches and said “those black Stanley ones, right?” He was, in fact, correct. :smiley:

Over. Always over.

I like to wear hubbie’s tall socks over and pulled high enough that the heel of the sock is about mid-calf. Then I hike the wasteband of my britches as close to my collar bones as possible.:winkgrin:

[QUOTE=Cayusepapoose;8511487]
I like to wear hubbie’s tall socks over and pulled high enough that the heel of the sock is about mid-calf. Then I hike the wasteband of my britches as close to my collar bones as possible.:winkgrin:[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Love the Peddies from Noble Outfitters. They are a regular sock at the bottom and lycra from there on up. Particularly good if you are not a short skinny kid with toothpick legs. And they go on the outside, although if I am headed for the grocery store I cuff them down.

My new tall boots rub my heels pretty bad, but found a pair of gel anti rub things at a horse show this summer. One has now grown legs and walked away. :frowning:

They work amazingly well, and are super comfy.

(I tried to Google, but Google isn’t coming up with an exact match. This is close though. http://www.amazon.ca/Absolute-Bunga-Pads-Ankle-Sleeve/dp/B000289XWQ Oddly enough, the first review is from a Dressage rider.)

I wore it pulled down a bit, and had some of it on the bottom of my heel.

I’m an outtie. I guess the habit carried over from the pull on boot days. I find happiness in my crazy patterned socks and wear them in public without regret. I don’t pull my socks all the way up to my knee since my old boots sag and my socks will peek out.

Socks inside, otherwise I get annoyed to death by the Velcro on the bottom of most of my breeches.

Socks over my breeches and the wilder patterns the better! I also will go to the grocery store after riding like this… No weird looks, so it’s become pretty normal to see around here LOL

Over but because I change clothes from work at the barn and it is just easier to pull them on and put my paddock boots and half chaps all at once.