Unlimited access >

Tamarack Hill Farm Stallion Auction to Benefit UNH!

Hey everyone! I just saw on Denny Emerson’s fb page that my Alma Mater is actually doing a stallion auction to benefit the UNH Equine program! I adore the UNH Equine program and also love following Denny’s posts about these amazing stallions! My mare is on stall rest right now following a bone chip injury and I keep joking I’m going to knock her up with Formula One!! :lol:

Most of these stallions are already deceased, Skybreaker is now a gelding activly competing, and Formula One is standing stud, but not at this price!

There are a few different links so it might be a bit confusing, but here is the link for the basic info page:

http://equine.unh.edu/stallion-auction

Here is the full stallion list and prices

https://equine.unh.edu/sites/equine.unh.edu/files/docs/List%20of%20Stallions.pdf

And here is the order form!
https://www.events.unh.edu/RegistrationForm.pm?event_id=16360

I think you also need to send in the stallion contract form, but all of these can be found on the UNH Equine page here:

http://www.equine.unh.edu/

if you scroll down a bit on the left!

Wintry Oak and Formula One are sold out. I’d have wanted to invest in Wintry Oak.

Aberjack is still available, as are the other deceased Northern Dancer free TBs with old style pedigrees.

Wits End Eventing, where are you?

This is the end of an era in eventing breeding. Nancy Gosch has died and Denny Emerson is “selling out.”

I bought Loyal Pal, Wintry Oak, Epic Win and Forfeit :). What an opportunity!

[QUOTE=twistoffate;7531677]
I bought Loyal Pal, Wintry Oak, Epic Win and Forfeit :). What an opportunity![/QUOTE]

Smart on your feet, you are! What’s your plan for the Epic Win dose?? Seen a couple BEAUT EW babies (and grandbabies) over the years.

Kinda wishing I had a mare and the means to store semen… Can’t believe Wintry Oak and EW are so inexpensive. Good to see Skybreaker up there too, he is a good boy.

I don’t have a plan for them right this second but did not want to pass up that opportunity. I’d really like to use them on a future filly by my stallion, TF Classic Twist (by Triple Twist out of Skipping Class). So I’ll be sitting on them for a while most likely…

I have bought back one of my homebreds.
I have retired from breeding (!) but I can’t help but wonder which of these stallions might suit her.
She is a beautiful mare, lovely mover, big jump who won at Training level as a youngster.

If you scroll down you will see her partial pedigree:

http://www.clrc.ca/cgi-bin/pedigree.cgi?_breedcode=HU&_countrycode=CAN&_association=86&_regnumberprefix=&_regnumber=11966&_regnumbersuffix=

I’d love your thoughts (Viney?).

Now, now Fred. Not a one of us would mind if you bred this lovely girl! :slight_smile:
DO IT!!!

I didn’t know there was any Reputed Testamony still available. Does anyone have experience with his frozen? My mare is now 16, has had one foal.

[QUOTE=VirginiaBred;7532256]
Now, now Fred. Not a one of us would mind if you bred this lovely girl! :slight_smile:
DO IT!!![/QUOTE]

lol Enabler!!

“just when I thought I was out…” :lol:

C’mon Fred…I would die to see a Reputed Testimony foal out of your mare!! Just think how boring life would be if you weren’t breeding something?? :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=vineyridge;7531145]
Wintry Oak and Formula One are sold out. [/QUOTE]

Probably for the best, my mare is a big perch/tb mutt and there are plenty of those out there for me to find my next Beasty Eventer :cool:

It just seems like such a neat opportunity! I have a friend considering buying some and storing it until her current competition horse is no longer actively competing!

Fred, waiting to hear viney’s thoughts but Forfeit would give you a line breed to Bold Bidder through Two A Day. My sister and I had a Two A Day gelding - he could jump a house and always knees to chin. He did the hunters because that’s what we did but oh man, just textbook form. Not a huge horse but a monster stride. Viney will know if there are issues with this type of line breed but so much jump through that bloodline.

[QUOTE=twistoffate;7531699]
I don’t have a plan for them right this second but did not want to pass up that opportunity. I’d really like to use them on a future filly by my stallion, TF Classic Twist (by Triple Twist out of Skipping Class). So I’ll be sitting on them for a while most likely…[/QUOTE]

Use the Wintry Oak on a Twist line filly. You’ll have had two outcrosses, and it would be time to bring the Bonne Nuit/Bonne Cause blood back that’s in Wintry Oak’s dam. I’d drool over that cross.

[QUOTE=SueL;7532843]
Fred, waiting to hear viney’s thoughts but Forfeit would give you a line breed to Bold Bidder through Two A Day. My sister and I had a Two A Day gelding - he could jump a house and always knees to chin. He did the hunters because that’s what we did but oh man, just textbook form. Not a huge horse but a monster stride. Viney will know if there are issues with this type of line breed but so much jump through that bloodline.[/QUOTE]

Using Forfeit would give you a 3x4 cross to Bold Bidder, which would be a bit too close for my personal comfort. BB was notorious as being possibly the meanest TB stallion of his era, and I believe his temperament when he was racing wasn’t much better. His temperament was passed down to many of his sons, so it was definitely heritable. IMO, you don’t want to risk the temperament coming in somehow, especially if you got a son. And if it matters to you, there seems to be some question of whether Forfeit was a full TB. You’d have to ask Denny if you care. Anyhow, it may be moot because I think that I saw that Forfeit was also sold out.

Formula One also has a tail male sire line to Bold Bidder, but it’s back in the 5th or 6th generation.

But if you want add the truly old line sport TB genes,off the top of my head, I think of the ones that are still available, Right of Light is definitely the best looking on paper. He has a droolworthy sport horse pedigree. You’d double on Bold Ruler 3x5, AND you’d get Macherio and Arctic Star on the bottom, along with Dastur and Court Martial PLUS a double to My Babu from the top. Tail female to the Alexander Mare of 1790, which is quite wonderful for jumping. His racing get had huge numbers of starts, so he’d bring soundness, in case you need it.

Buy several doses and bank them; his pedigree is worth it.

Am thinking about the others with your mare.

[QUOTE=vineyridge;7533767]
Using Forfeit would give you a 3x3 cross to Bold Bidder, which would be a bit too close for my personal comfort. BB was notorious as being possibly the meanest TB stallion of his era, and I believe his temperament when he was racing wasn’t much better. His temperament was definitely passed down to many of his sons, so it was definitely heritable. IMO, you don’t want to risk the temperament coming in with such a close cross somehow, especially if you got a son. And if it matters to you, there seems to be some question of whether Forfeit was a full TB. You’d have to ask Denny if you care.

Am thinking about the others with your mare.[/QUOTE]

Thanks viney. Your insight is always valuable. Our Two A Day gelding was overall a nice quiet guy but a bit quirky. Beautiful jump, tons of scope and stride and a rubber snaffle mouth. I don’t think Forfeit was JC registered but with any of the deceased stallions you can’t get JC papers anyway. Here’s a link to a picture of Once At Twilight: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1467066238412&set=a.1386596226712.2055890.1286237815&type=3&theater and his pedigree: http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pedigree.cfm?page_state=ORDER_AND_CONFIRM&reference_number=715682&registry=T&horse_name=Once%20At%20Twilight&dam_name=Ricodel&foaling_year=1977&nicking_stats_indicator=Y

As always really value your insights viney!

shhhhh! Don’t tell my DH, but I just bought some…Wintry Oak, Epic Win and Loyal Pal. No definite plans, but couldn’t miss out. Will definitely be used on Cy daughters.

Fingers crossed that it’s all good frozen.

Has anyone used any of it?

[QUOTE=SBH;7532704]
C’mon Fred…I would die to see a Reputed Testimony foal out of your mare!! Just think how boring life would be if you weren’t breeding something?? :)[/QUOTE]

lol - and here I was thinking of how nice it would be with NO foal watch, and time off from the farm!
:wink:

[QUOTE=vineyridge;7533767]
Using Forfeit would give you a 3x4 cross to Bold Bidder, which would be a bit too close for my personal comfort. BB was notorious as being possibly the meanest TB stallion of his era, and I believe his temperament when he was racing wasn’t much better. His temperament was passed down to many of his sons, so it was definitely heritable. IMO, you don’t want to risk the temperament coming in somehow, especially if you got a son. And if it matters to you, there seems to be some question of whether Forfeit was a full TB. You’d have to ask Denny if you care. Anyhow, it may be moot because I think that I saw that Forfeit was also sold out.

Formula One also has a tail male sire line to Bold Bidder, but it’s back in the 5th or 6th generation.

But if you want add the truly old line sport TB genes,off the top of my head, I think of the ones that are still available, Right of Light is definitely the best looking on paper. He has a droolworthy sport horse pedigree. You’d double on Bold Ruler 3x5, AND you’d get Macherio and Arctic Star on the bottom, along with Dastur and Court Martial PLUS a double to My Babu from the top. Tail female to the Alexander Mare of 1790, which is quite wonderful for jumping. His racing get had huge numbers of starts, so he’d bring soundness, in case you need it.

Buy several doses and bank them; his pedigree is worth it.

Am thinking about the others with your mare.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much viney, and SueL.
I am a big fan of Bold Bidder, and was a huge fan of the spectacular Spectacular Bid. When he moved up to NY and it was ‘doable’ for me, I wanted to breed AFR’s full sister to him, but I worried about too much BB up close (2x3). 3x4 I am a little less concerned about.
The temperament issue did not run true with AFR (or his sister) or their sire, Brave Shot (GB), Brave Shot’s offspring, or Fred or Cricket’s offspring.

If I were able to get some Epic Win, what do you think of him for her?
Which stallion has had the best production record?
Reputed Testamony has Val de Lorne as dam sire - the very good AFR son A First Romance also has Val de Lorne as dam sire, so that is appealing too.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/a+first+romance

Viney, as always, I appreciate your vast knowledge and information, always grateful.

Well, Reputed Testamony and Loyal Pal both are recent enough that they should still have offspring competing. That means that you could do what would undoubtedly be an incomplete sire search at USEF for offspring and actually be able to see competition records–which would be a huge bonus.

For Epic Win I went to the site that I use for FEI results–and I admit that they don’t have complete records for horses that old, but they do have all of the Olympic games, WEGs, World Championships, Badminton back to 1946, and Burghley back to 1961. I don’t think that they include all starters; maybe just the top ten or twenty. But they don’t have Epic Win in their database at all, either for himself or in their pedigrees. (That’s why I like this site because they do have pedigree information, so you can get both progeny and results–and the progeny’s results if they had any. It covers many generations). None of Denny’s stallions, old or new, are in that database.

I do know that Right of Light was the sire of King Oscar, who was a successful event horse for Denny, I believe–but Right of Light is not in the database either. Epic Win also evented with Denny, IIRC, at very high levels, but I can’t find any reference to his get doing anything notable. If any one has info on Epic Win get in sport, that would be extremely helpful. Level, in particular.

IIRC, I did some research on Caro, and Loyal Pal didn’t show up as a very successful sire for sport. The best Caro son was With Approval.

If you put the mare in the Sport Horse Breed Database, you can get a five generation testmating.

I just remembered something. Years ago, I downloaded some old USEA records. If I can find them, I’ll look around to see if they have anything useful.

I’d really like to pimp Right To Light. He’s got Court Martial sooo close, and was an excellent racer with 65 starts, 12 wins and 17 places, and won at age 8. I think that says a lot about his athleticism and his soundness. He’s actually sired a performer in FEI level sport from very limited opportunity. He’s even got multiple lines to Roi Herode back in the engine room, along with quite a lot of Hampton through Bay Ronald, Ayrshire, and Ladas. He’s also got more than a little to Lady Josephine through both Mumtaz Mahal and Lady Juror. Macherio was the tail male grandsire of Angelo xx, a very productive line for German WBs in FEI sport, mostly in dressage. In fact, it’s one of the greatest in history, IMO. Sire of Ahlerich and Amon, damsire of the Rubensteins and Rembrandt. The line is starting to produce jumpers and eventers.

He’s described as a light chestnut with white mane and tail, not that you care about color.

I bought some Right to Light.
Thank you, viney!