TB Pedigree for Sport *Update 2023 Take2 Thoroughbred Hunter Champion

Does anyone have any thoughts on this pedigree for a sport horse?

Thanks!

[QUOTE=mimeismoney;8928933]
Does anyone have any thoughts on this pedigree for a sport horse?

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pedigree.cfm?page_state=ORDER_AND_CONFIRM&reference_number=9286290

Thanks![/QUOTE]

The top is absolutely lovely; the bottom leaves me fairly cold.

It depends at lot on what you plan to do with the horse. In my mind, I can see a useful mid to lower level amateur eventer or show jumper who might have a bit of an attitude that would make being a hunter difficult.

[QUOTE=vineyridge;8928973]
The top is absolutely lovely; the bottom leaves me fairly cold.

It depends at lot on what you plan to do with the horse. In my mind, I can see a useful mid to lower level amateur eventer or show jumper who might have a bit of an attitude that would make being a hunter difficult.[/QUOTE]

What about the dam’s pedigree bothers you and why? I would like to know what you are seeing. :yes:

Viney is not a fan of Seattle Slew horses: for the amount of horses he put on the ground, he has very few representing him FEI.

HOWEVER! I think Slew does consistently pass on rideability and try; I think that their courage and will to please will often overcome their shortcomings in other areas. In my experience, they are semi-athletic. Athletic enough for any LL pursuit, but usually they seem to top out at Prelim. Which is fine; Slew filled a HUGE market and there are many, many of them that are packers. They have the exact attitude you need for a packer, IME, and are very willing and forgiving of rider errors. I have had great experience with SS, both direct offspring and grandchildren: I really think that they have the right temperament for eventing. AP Indy is a great example: he is known for producing wonderful ammy horses that are very tolerant of mistakes, and have a lot of try.

The other part of the dam side is that it is very commercial; you have Seattle Slew and Smart Strike, two stallions who consistently produce dirt runners. Not always the best for sport.

I will say that Smart Strike is ABOVE average in terms of movement; he has put some seriously lofty horses on the ground. Mr P and Classy N Smart probably contributed to that.

I don’t mind the dam-side, personally; it has a lot of punch in the engine room. Lots and lots of Nasrullah, Never Bend, and Mumtaz Begum.

I haven’t heard much about Pleasantly Perfect, but Pleasant Colony is one of the better names to have in a pedigree; he combines two known sources of movement and jumping ability – thru His Majesty and through Sun Colony’s ancestors: Double Jay and Nasrullah.

Pleasantly Perfect’s dam has an okay pedigree IMHO, though I love to see Lyphard for grit and endurance.

I would expect a fairly nice trot out of a horse with this pedigree. Do you have any videos?

As far as for sport… well… I think it’s a good start. Not for breeding, but I would definitely expect a rideable and athletic horse for at least Prelim.

I’m not wild about the Raise a Native line breeding.

[QUOTE=Virginia Horse Mom;8929979]
I’m not wild about the Raise a Native line breeding.[/QUOTE]

that’s so far back though, the effect it could possibly have is negligible.

[QUOTE=Timex;8929995]
that’s so far back though, the effect it could possibly have is negligible.[/QUOTE]

that and… RAN doesn’t seem to be A Bad Thing in double doses IN sport horses if the contributor that has RAN is not a crappy horse; IE, assess the individual sire/dam that have RAN, not RAN . In other words, it depends on who the sons/daughters are that RAN is coming through.

A double of RAN actually brings a surplus of good “old blood” horses back into the mix.

That and there are a lot of successful horses ATM with a double (at least) to RAN… Look at California Chrome… he has RAN, iirc, two times as well.

IME, RAN’s “soundness” reputation has a lot less to do with his actual soundness and a lot more to do with the precociousness of his offspring: they look mature, and “grow” fast - they also had blistering speed – so it’s really not a small wonder that the breakdown in RAN seemed inordinately high; the line itself is very slow maturing skeletally.

Some of the favorite stallions on this board are linebred to RAN… Corinthian is a huge favorite on COTH and in OTTB retraining circles, and he has RAN top/bottom.

1 Like

I do not like Mr. P in a sport horse pedigreed. When it is good, it is because to the dam, not because of him.

And RAN twice? I would want to find out if those horses by him were sound and good movers.

Love Pleasant Colony. Like Affirmed.

All in all, a good (grade of B) pedigree for sport, but nothing I would consider breeding unless the mare was a very good horse herself.

[QUOTE=Lord Helpus;8930125]
I do not like Mr. P in a sport horse pedigreed. When it is good, it is because to the dam, not because of him.

And RAN twice? I would want to find out if those horses by him were sound and good movers.

Love Pleasant Colony. Like Affirmed.

All in all, a good (grade of B) pedigree for sport, but nothing I would consider breeding unless the mare was a very good horse herself.[/QUOTE]

I think we might have had this discussion, but can you explain why? A dose of Mr P can be a very good thing.

One of the most consistent sport lines, at least from a jumping and eventing standpoint, is Fappiano, who is a son of Mr P.

Another big name for big jump is Gone West, also a Mr P son. Mr P’s success is enjoyed in several other sons/grandsons for sport too: Cryptoclearance, Unbridled’s Song, and Two Punch as well.

The thing about Mr P is that he seems to have a really strong nick in Bold Ruler/Princequillo from a sport (not racing) standpoint if he is tail male: a lot of really good horses come from that mix. It’s really more Nasrullah/Bold Ruler/PQ.

I don’t really think it’s idle coincidence, or entirely in credit to the mare: Mr P has a place and a purpose. I think in his heydey he made a very good long format horse if you could manage the feet; now, he’s far enough back where there’s much more influence from the other parts of the pedigree than him.

2 Likes

What do you want to do with the mare, OP? Breed another TB, or outcross ?

I concur about Seattle Slew… I have met a few that were wonderful event horses. And the feedback on RAN being more slow maturing is interesting.

If you look further back at the dam line and Memories of Home ( just because I like looking further back - I don’t care if it’s irrelevant :-), that mare was quite packed with lines to Nasrullah and Princequillo

http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pedigree.cfm/Memories%20of%20Home?horse_name=Memories%20of%20Home&reference_number=4465528&foaling_year=1998&include_sire_line=Y&nicking_stats_indicator=Y&breakout=Y&breed_type=TB&horse_type=FD&page_state=DISPLAY_REPORT

So to Beowulf’s point… They crossed that mare with a Mr. P son.

Confused…the linked pedigree is for Gottobeperfect, a 2012 colt. I think the OP is looking him as a performance prospect. And I also assume this horse is a gelding by now, too. I will admit the gelding thing is a just a guess, but it seems reasonable, since I also am pretty sure he didn’t become a filly or mare, either, whether the equine pedigree info is up to date or not… :wink:

My mistake! I never even looked - just assumed we were discussing a mare. I am way too much of a mare person :slight_smile:

Thank you all for the thoughtful responses! He is indeed a gelding as of March of this year and is a performance prospect. I think his type is like that of his sire, he is 17h, has a big plain head, and laid back personality. I ended up bringing him home on Sunday.

He never made it to the races, as a two year old, his knees were still open, so they sent him home for a year. He went back to the track for training earlier this year, but the owner had financial issues and decided to cut his losses and sell him as a riding horse.

I do have video from the day we went to see him, we were able to work him in a round pen and free lunge him over a little jump, but it’s incredibly pixelated as it was sent from my friends phone, so I don’t know that it would be helpful. Perhaps I can get some more soon. He hasn’t been ridden in months, so we’ve got a slow groundwork plan for the winter.

Thanks again.

Hi all,

Here’s a brief video of Gottobeperfect’s first oxer experience. Unfortunately not too long after I picked him up, I received a cancer diagnosis, had two surgeries and had to put him on the back burner. So now he’s had about two months with my trainer, and I’ve been back to riding for about a month. He’s been nothing but a gentleman and a real treat. When I don’t have to wrangle my dog while videoing, I’ll try to get more of a video to show his movement.

https://youtu.be/SWiKZy17xLU

2 Likes

Healing thoughts!

I just picked up a Pleasantly Perfect three-year old. Jury is out on his abilities but he is beautiful and so relaxed. Mine has Storm Cat and Forty Niner (Mr. Prospector) on bottom.

2 Likes

Thanks so much, melula! Getting better and stronger every day. The jury was definitely still out on my guy for a long time, my trainer questioned my eye/sanity when she first started working with him. But she is pretty jazzed about him now. He is definitely relaxed, non-reactive, and learns very fast. I’d love to see pictures of your PP if you’re so inclined to send them.

1 Like

He looks lovely. Major jingles and healing vibes to you OP, so glad to hear you are back in the saddle.

He has a lovely canter. Very much a Pleasant Colony and Smart Strike thing.

2 Likes

Thanks beowulf! :slight_smile:

More healing thoughts! I like your guy a lot!

Hi there!
Bumping this back up because Gottobeperfect was the Take2 Champion in the hunters yesterday! I am a bit over the moon about it and had to share. Jeff Gogul kindly accepted the ride on him for me, so for this year, I spared my horse my show nerves. He scored an 86 and an 87! So very thankful to Jeff and my regular trainer Emily Burniston!

15 Likes