Unlimited access >

Teaching the Passage - Can/ Should my horse do it?

I have an older mare (21) with a bit of arthritis in her hocks. She has never been ridden in dressage per say but she is well trained and shows real aptitude for it (though because of age and soundness I’m not planning to ride her hard) - anyway, when she was laid up a while ago I started teaching her to lift her legs when I tapped them ( as a precursor to bowing) and she LOVES it. She offers to pick her feet up like that now whenever she’s bored or confused. Which got me thinking… She’d probably think a piaffe was lots of fun! I know she can physically do it as I see her passage at liberty when she’s excited. Do you think it would be ok to try and teach her a passage??

No. That sort of strength and carrying power takes years to develop.

From what I understood in your other threads/posts, no I wouldn’t recommand you start experiencing such movements with your mare.

Prancing in a field and actual passage/piaffe is two different things.

Of course you could teach her to do some sort of a poor quality piaffe/passage but if this mare was mine, I would skip hard trick riding and concentrate my effort in real correct basic riding. You would also have to budget regular joint injections.

In order to be strong enough to piaffe/passage, the horse must have had YEARS of real dressage training.

You risk blowing out the soft tissue too. Tendons/ligaments take much longer to strengthen than bones/muscles do.

Please don’t put your horse through it.

[QUOTE=alibi_18;7487447]
From what I understood in your other threads/posts, no I wouldn’t recommand you start experiencing such movements with your mare.

Prancing in a field and actual passage/piaffe is two different things.

Of course you could teach her to do some sort of a poor quality piaffe/passage but if this mare was mine, I would skip hard trick riding and concentrate my effort in real correct basic riding. You would also have to budget regular joint injections.[/QUOTE]

She is getting regular injections/ supplements/ sweats and regular exercise and I am working a lot on basic riding, but she’s a special mare and I just want to do as much with her and learn as much from her as I can while she’s still sound enough. Thanks for the input though!

I agree, unfortunately - it’s like asking an unprepped 70 year old to run a marathon. Possible maybe, but not advisable.

[QUOTE=zaparaquah;7487469]
She is getting regular injections/ supplements/ sweats and regular exercise and I am working a lot on basic riding, but she’s a special mare and I just want to do as much with her and learn as much from her as I can while she’s still sound enough. Thanks for the input though![/QUOTE]

Have you found a trainer to work with?
I’d start there … not sure if you have current photos, but the saddle fit one I saw, she seems to lacking topline & general muscling.

I suspect if you post video of her movement/your skill level, you’ll get more useful input

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=alto;7487558]
Have you found a trainer to work with?
I’d start there … not sure if you have current photos, but the saddle fit one I saw, she seems to lacking topline & general muscling.

I suspect if you post video of her movement/your skill level, you’ll get more useful input

:)[/QUOTE]

Her topline was really bad but it’s getting a little better as she’s working daily. I did find an instructor, though I’m not going to be using my mare for lessons – but I guess I should probably just hold off or teach her something easier instead, like a Spanish walk maybe?

There’s a lot you can teach that’s not too hard on joints. Look at those comedic trick rider videos for ideas. One that I always wanted to try was the horse who could pick up baseball caps and put them on people’s heads. Or you could do a bit of bridle-less riding, if she will reliably woah from seat/voice!

[QUOTE=Pipkin;7487582]
There’s a lot you can teach that’s not too hard on joints. Look at those comedic trick rider videos for ideas. One that I always wanted to try was the horse who could pick up baseball caps and put them on people’s heads. Or you could do a bit of bridle-less riding, if she will reliably woah from seat/voice![/QUOTE]

She’s already a pro at bridle less. :slight_smile: Thanks for the tips!

[QUOTE=zaparaquah;7487570]
Her topline was really bad but it’s getting a little better as she’s working daily. I did find an instructor, though I’m not going to be using my mare for lessons – but I guess I should probably just hold off or teach her something easier instead, like a Spanish walk maybe?[/QUOTE]

Actually I had in mind Training Level Test 1 :wink:

There are some great videos & commentary to be found at Judge My Ride

Winnie & Anne - this has the video embedded

Another - you need to open the video (he’s a cute paint boy :slight_smile: )

YOU WILL BREAK HER. How special will that be ?

Oh, jeese you guys. If she wants to teach the mare to pick up her feet and do a little starting piaffe, let her. She is not going to blow her joints by doing a few steps here and there, and it’s just an obedience thing. My Appy stopped doing 1 tempis in his late 20’s, but he could do his little piaffe until the day he died at 31.

My mare now has other issues, but she likes to passage and it’s her happy place. Piaffe is a good place to go with hot horses that need somewhere to put energy, no matter how classically “correct” it is.

But your appy learned to piaffe well before 21.

The only reason there’s 70 year old in marathons is because they’ve been running all their lives. Folks at 70 don’t just “pick up” running. Especially not ones with demonstrated muscle atrophy and no prior running experience.
In this case, its like getting behind grandma with a whip and asking for high knee drills. If grandma is feeling good and decides to jump up and down after winning bingo - awesome! However, this is not an invite to start her training for the next 5k.

She’s not doing high school movements. Any horse can do baby piaffe. She’s already doing it. Having her lift her legs on cue is not like a 70 year old doing marathons. It’s like the 70 year old going to yoga and keep moving. As long as the horse is doing it happily and not stressing out, no big deal.

[QUOTE=zaparaquah;7487570]
Her topline was really bad but it’s getting a little better as she’s working daily. I did find an instructor, though I’m not going to be using my mare for lessons – but I guess I should probably just hold off or teach her something easier instead, like a Spanish walk maybe?[/QUOTE]

Why are you not going to use her for your lessons?

[QUOTE=Beentheredonethat;7487861]
Oh, jeese you guys. If she wants to teach the mare to pick up her feet and do a little starting piaffe, let her. She is not going to blow her joints by doing a few steps here and there, and it’s just an obedience thing. My Appy stopped doing 1 tempis in his late 20’s, but he could do his little piaffe until the day he died at 31.[/QUOTE]
The question was about passage, not piaffe. There’s no “baby” passage, as far as I know. I join those who advise against trying to put passage on this mare.

[QUOTE=Beentheredonethat;7487861]
Oh, jeese you guys. If she wants to teach the mare to pick up her feet and do a little starting piaffe, let her. [/QUOTE]

The question was about passage, not piaffe. There’s no “baby” passage, as far as I know. I join those who advise against trying to put passage on this mare.

[QUOTE=meupatdoes;7488013]
Why are you not going to use her for your lessons?[/QUOTE]

Because she’s been out of riding for a while and I’m bringing her back up slowly (REALLY slowly, while trying to find better ways to manage her pain, which is going much better than expected now) , and I really want to get experience riding other horses and focus on myself as a rider since I’ve never really had a good coach since I switched from western riding 5 years ago. When my mare is in better shape, and is willing/able to ride at all gaits for an hour or more, then I’ll consider getting lessons on her.

[QUOTE=SillyHorse;7488087]
The question was about passage, not piaffe. There’s no “baby” passage, as far as I know. I join those who advise against trying to put passage on this mare.[/QUOTE]

I think there is a “baby” passage. I’m not going to ask her to sit or do it for extended periods of time and I’d even be fine doing it one leg at a time instead of with diagonals. Do you think piaffe would be easier on her? I’d be fine teaching that instead. Just something she’ll enjoy that stretches and works those joints.