Unlimited access >

Teaching the Passage - Can/ Should my horse do it?

If the horse enjoys learning new things, even at an advanced age, why not try some Horse Agility http://www.thehorseagilityclub.com/our-sport/what-is-horse-agility/ that might be fun for her and you.

If she’s out of shape, I wouldn’t start schooling towards piaffe or passage.

Once she’s in shape and feels comfortable, there’s nothing wrong with playing with half-steps (“baby piaffe”) if your connection feels good in all 3 gaits and in extension/collection, but passage is a whole 'nuther kettle of fish. 2-3 steps of half-steps? Not that stressful. Passage 2-3 steps? Much harder. If they’re not strong enough, you run the risk of disuniting the trot.

If your mare is out of shape to the point you’re not willing to take her out to lessons, she’s not in the shape she needs to be to school passage. School lateral work, yes. Play with expanding the range of gaits? Sure. Passage? I wouldn’t.

[QUOTE=cnm161;7488190]
If she’s out of shape, I wouldn’t start schooling towards piaffe or passage.

Once she’s in shape and feels comfortable, there’s nothing wrong with playing with half-steps (“baby piaffe”) if your connection feels good in all 3 gaits and in extension/collection, but passage is a whole 'nuther kettle of fish. 2-3 steps of half-steps? Not that stressful. Passage 2-3 steps? Much harder. If they’re not strong enough, you run the risk of disuniting the trot.

If your mare is out of shape to the point you’re not willing to take her out to lessons, she’s not in the shape she needs to be to school passage. School lateral work, yes. Play with expanding the range of gaits? Sure. Passage? I wouldn’t.[/QUOTE]

Oh definitely, I’m not about to do this until she’s well-muscled and happy to work. I’m just thinking that maybe in a few months I could try it. I am working on her basic gaits now, getting longer more active strides and going over poles. She gets better and more enthusiastic every day so I have every reason to believe that she’ll continue to improve. Hoping to do some training level shows this summer. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=zaparaquah;7488167]
Because she’s been out of riding for a while and I’m bringing her back up slowly (REALLY slowly, while trying to find better ways to manage her pain, which is going much better than expected now) , and I really want to get experience riding other horses and focus on myself as a rider since I’ve never really had a good coach since I switched from western riding 5 years ago. When my mare is in better shape, and is willing/able to ride at all gaits for an hour or more, then I’ll consider getting lessons on her.[/QUOTE]

See above paragraph for why you and this horse are not ready to embark on passage.

[QUOTE=meupatdoes;7488328]
See above paragraph for why you and this horse are not ready to embark on passage.[/QUOTE]

I also think it’s important to consider that this would not be training true passage -it would be training a “trick” but not passage. Passage is born from years of true training with collection. Not teaching a horse to pick up it’s feet and hover.

OP is interested in doing this for the alleged purpose of gymnasticizing and suppling her horse and maintaining soundness while bringing her back into work.

You know, we have a name for this sort of gymnasticization …it’s called “dressage.”

“Real” dressage would ride the horse long and low in trot on big curving arcs at this stage.

But let’s ignore that and teach it to lift its feet up and down in faux passage instead.

OP is young. I get her enthusiasm. I wanted to do all sorts of things with my horses that they (and I) probably were not ready for at that age. But she’s posting here and asking, which is great! Keep doing that, OP, because you’ll learn a lot from us old codgers.

I’d consider taking lessons now, so that you can develop your mare, with help, the correct way :slight_smile: Don’t worry so much about the cool stuff, because you’ll get there sooner than you think if you do it right. Your mare looks very sweet, and I’m sure she’ll enjoy the dressage work, if it’s done right!

Yes, OP is posting here and asking, but her responses indicate that she well may ignore the general consensus not to do what she is planning.

[QUOTE=zaparaquah;7487570]
Her topline was really bad but it’s getting a little better as she’s working daily. I did find an instructor, though I’m not going to be using my mare for lessons – but I guess I should probably just hold off or teach her something easier instead, like a Spanish walk maybe?[/QUOTE]

In another thread you asked about books. Before you go any further, start reading them Among others read books by deKunffy. So much depends on properly slowly strengthening and suppling your horse.

You and your horse are no more ready for any of the things you ask about than you are to work on a balance beam or a gymnasts rings.

Please learn to walk before you attempt to fly.

The horse “offers” passage when and if it is ready, and then, you say “yes”. It is not something you teach out of the blue. The foundation prepares the horse, and that is where this horse should be before a true passage could present itself…

It is perfectly okay to ask the question, but the answer is that it is probably not a great idea with no foundation and proper preparation that would enable the horse to offer the movement and could over tax the horse; especially, a horse needing pain management.

Yes, OP is posting here and asking, but her responses indicate that she well may ignore the general consensus not to do what she is planning.

She might. But we’ve had young people like that before. And they did change their minds. Youthful enthusiasm…I wish I had some of that zeal. I just remember being that age and what helped shape what I chose to do :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=meupatdoes;7488398]
OP is interested in doing this for the alleged purpose of gymnasticizing and suppling her horse and maintaining soundness while bringing her back into work.

You know, we have a name for this sort of gymnasticization …it’s called “dressage.”

“Real” dressage would ride the horse long and low in trot on big curving arcs at this stage.

But let’s ignore that and teach it to lift its feet up and down in faux passage instead.[/QUOTE]

I understand that and that’s why I’m learning Dressage, which I will then use with my mare once I’ve learned the basics on a steadier, sounder horse who can tolerate my clumsiness. I’m just looking for fun things to do on the ground while I get there as my mare is easily bored. All I’m asking is wether I could safely do a really clumsy not at all correct 1/2-2 step passage imitation as a training experiment. I’m not expecting her to do it “correctly” or under saddle as I realize that is a high level movement that neither my horse or I are ready to do.

What you are describing is Spanish Walk. It is not Piaffe - far from it. You can try, but you won’t succeed. Please get a real dressage trainer if you are interested in it. Based on your post, you don’t know what piaffe or passage are. What you can do that is also very fun is to ride “bigger trot - tiny trot - bigger trot- tiny trot” and so on and so forth. Make sure you remain the same tempo.

zaparaquah, I’d say take some lessons on the ground with your mare.

Zapa, I’m new(ish) to this, too, and I’ve done some fun things with my horse on the ground (tricks, etc.) outside of my lessons with our trainer. I think it builds our relationship, too! He bows, does carrot stretches on command, and some other cute things. He even taught himself to say goodbye when I leave the barn.

I can’t find the video right now, but if I can find it I will post it. Get some books on massage techniques, too, and incorporate that into your grooming; that’s fun to work on as well.

[QUOTE=Gloria;7488521]
What you are describing is Spanish Walk. It is not Piaffe - far from it. You can try, but you won’t succeed. Please get a real dressage trainer if you are interested in it. Based on your post, you don’t know what piaffe or passage are. What you can do that is also very fun is to ride “bigger trot - tiny trot - bigger trot- tiny trot” and so on and so forth. Make sure you remain the same tempo.[/QUOTE]

I am just about to take my first real dressage lesson on a school horse. So no, I don’t really know what it takes to train a real piaffe or passage. So yes, maybe what I’m talking about is more like a Spanish walk kind of thing.

I have had many lessons on the ground over the years.
And I already feel very proficient with my ground work and ground training. What I lack is riding finesse. So that’s what I’m choosing to spend my money on for the moment. That seems reasonable to me. Do others disagree?

"I’m not expecting her to do it “correctly” or under saddle as I realize that is a high level movement that neither my horse or I are ready to do."

Exactly how do you plan to achieve this movement which you know will not be done “correctly”? What process are you thinking about, i.e., how to you expect to proceed? What method? How do you plan to get the suspension…even for a few steps? The horses joints upon “landing”, on each stride, need to bend, and they are the shock-absorbers for the entire weight of the horse (with or without a saddle). That is why the horse needs to be very strong to avoid injury. It is not just a pretty movement, it is a powerful movement.

Just wondering.

Oh, I was just suggesting fun ground stuff :).

I lack much, so I am in full training with my horse :), plus go to clinics, read, watch videos, etc. (Watch Jane Savoie, Janet Foy/Steffen Peters series). It’s an inexpensive way to supplement your training!

Oh, no I wasn’t replying to you! Sorry. Haha that was to grey pony,
I’d love to see your video!