Unlimited access >

tell me about your corgis :)

I lost my lab to cancer in May and have been trying to no avail to adopt through a rescue for a while. Everyone wants a pandemic puppy. It’s really depressing :cry:

I have an opportunity to get a corgi puppy - they are 2 weeks old now, so it wouldn’t be for at least 6+ weeks. I met the breeder this summer shortly after I lost my lab and asked her to keep in touch when she had puppies. She seems like a responsible breeder and has confirmed that her dogs have tested negative for DM. I did have a female corgi as a kid - she was a great dog but my lifestyle is a bit different now than when I was 12 :winkgrin: Of course I spend a fair amount of time at the barn and doing all the farm maintenance work - I am confident in a corgi being a great fit there :slight_smile: But I’m married to a guy who enjoys life away from the the barn (there is one! sometimes :lol:) We also enjoy going hiking and camping, which was great with the lab. I just wonder about going hiking with a corgi? With short legs I would imagine their distances are more limited? And given a choice, would you get a male or female corgi and why?

Please share your corgi experiences!

I am new to the corgi world. I have a 8 month old Cardi. She is wonderful. I had a Pem rescue who wasn’t good with my cats, so I had to give him back to the rescue. I’ve heard that Cardis have a little prey drive than Pems.

I don’t really hike and camp, so I can’t really speak to that too much. Corgis seem up for a lot of things with their owners. I’d think that if you gradually increased the difficulty of the hiking, they’d be okay. That is, depending on the temperature. Here in Tucson in the summer, it is too hot for most people, never mind their dogs.

Do you plan to spay or neuter? I’ve heard that males can be a little mellower and more affectionate, but my Moxie is plenty sweet.

Our barn owner has had 3 corgis over the years. They seem game for adventure, though I don’t think they get enough as they became obese once they got to be 8+ years. They were all very sweet and playful, however the biggest drawback was their barking. The black tri male would walk around the farm barking non-stop. Even when no one was around! He would walk, sniff, mull around like dogs do, all the while barking to nothing in particular. VERY annoying! His red successor didn’t bark quite as much, but he would bark a lot…just not when he was alone or without what most folks would consider good reason. They have their latest pup who is 6 months old. He is the most normal so far, but if he runs/plays with my dog, he barks a lot . My Aussie doesn’t bark in response - just plays. Personally, the barking is a deal breaker for me. When I was considering Shetland Sheepdogs, I was similarly warned about their barking by breeders and owners. That’s a hard “no” for me. I understand if it’s an alert signal…but not a trait they’re known for.

DM is the tip of the iceberg. OFA hips and eyes are also super important. Run away from any breeder not doing OFA hips and eyes. I find them easy to live with, and incredibly easy to train. But, I’m a hardcore agility person. Training is a way of life and trainability is something my mentor and I cultivate in our bitch line. Even my uber high drive could hang with a border collie girl completed installation of her off switch at 15 months and is EASY to train.

1 Like

There is a facebook group Pembroke Corgi Advice from Responsible Breeders. There are a lot of corgi puppy scammers out there, do your research and find a reputable breeder. I have one corgi right now, my first female dog ever. She is more petite, more energy and more of a handful than my two males were. They were basically like stuffed animals haha. Very exercise adverse and had a tendency to be chonkers unless food intake was watched.

She is the only one who is ball motivated, she’d chase a ball until she drops so you have to be the one to stop. She was a lot more barky but has calmed down a lot in the last few months. She turns 5 tomorrow! She can be cranky around other dogs so I do have to be careful with that. She’s fine on walks, it’s more when we have stopped and a dog approaches her.

I’m guessing you’re considering a Pembroke, as they’re much more common?
Pems are adorable, little dictators. Sassy. Opinionated. Always want the last word - literally. A lot of dog in a little package. Mine doesn’t bark for “no reason,” but he does bark when excited, playing, or if he hears a strange noise or someone in our property.
In general I think males are easier. I read someone online say that female corgis (Pems) aren’t dogs for first time dog owners. I laughed and sent the link to my mom who has a lady Corg that is…a handful, haha.
What other tests does the breeder do for the parents? Does she temperament test them?

2 Likes

I’ve had Pems for nearly 60 years. I have 3 now and Cairn that we adopted. First off, they shed, a lot. Whole undercoat blows twice a year. There’s so much hair, that it will seem like they shed all year long. However, that coat can deal with any kind of weather. They can roll in pond scum and in 30 minutes they will look like they just had a bath. Amazing! They absolutely HATE having their toenails clipped and it’s best that you take them to the vet or a groomer if you like the looks of your fingers the way they are now. They have an opinion on everything and will love to share that opinion with you. They are vocal, but usually in response to something that’s legitimate. The chase small children and nip their heels. They’ll chase your horses too, if you don’t nip that in the bud right away. They will chase a ball as long as you’re willing to throw it. Territorial, rarely wander off unless your neighbor leaves cat food out on the porch. Will ignore an invisible fence if they want to leave. But won’t cross it to come home. Will stay off the furniture when you’re home, but will be all over the furniture the minute you leave. They will always have to be on a diet. However, if they have food left in the bowl and choose not to eat it, they will spend the rest of the day guarding it. You can have one Corgi, or three. Never have two or they will fight over everything. Someone a 3rd Corgi acts as referee and stops all fights, usually over food. Highly intelligent…usually smarter than their owner and definitely smarter than the kids. They are smart enough to stay away from the barn cats. Can occasionally catch rats and mice but don’t seem to want to kill them like a terrier. Travel in cars and trucks like a pro, all day long. Love to hang out at the concession stand at horseshows. Not good at guarding the tack room, though. Do not panic if they sleep on their back with all fours in the air. Totally normal. The can sleep through a hurricane but are awake the minute the refrigerator door opens. High energy dogs, until they aren’t. I think they qualify as clowns of the dog world. My DH thinks they walk like a baby with their diapers falling down. I adore mine and can’t live without them!

8 Likes

Toenails are an owner training issue. Mine have all had their nails dremeled by one person without restraint, except the youngest still requires a holder.

3 Likes

Watching this since our puppy will be ready within the next few weeks. I think I’m ready for the Corgi intelligence. lol My ex had a Corgi and she was very smart, but the first time the ex met my JRT he said, “Your dog is scary smart. Cassie (corgi) is incredibly smart for a dog, but Tanner (jrt) is smart for a person.”. Let’s hope that he prepared me well. lol

My JRT was kind of couch potato-ish for a JRT, but then, he just wanted to be with me and do whatever I was doing. I’m hoping the Corgi will be my new hiking partner and can maybe keep up with me for running, along with working cows with my SO.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! It seems like the female corgi we had growing up fit the female corgi stereotype pretty closely! She did not like it when a horse would bang its door at dinner time, was a very eager but ineffective mouser and was the only dog we had growing up who did actually attach herself to the pantleg of the UPS driver.

Yes, we are looking at a Pembroke. I hate to judge by color but if there was a male tri available I would probably throw all caution to the wind. They are all red/white/sable. I definitely need to ask about what other testing she does - it was kind of random how we met this summer to begin with, I mentioned having a corgi that had DM and she told me that they now test for it (they didn’t back then) but I don’t know what else her dogs have been tested for. I admit that I am just so completely fed up with the rescue adoption process altogether - plus looking at breeders has me thinking about all the additional unknown factors on any rescue dog that a good breeder will have already tested. It’s almost as if buying from a breeder is a responsible thing to do - go figure! :o

1 Like

Tri is recessive, so less commonly seen overall. I am partial to tri. All of my reds carry for tri, so I typically have both in my litters

My pups dad is a tri. He is adorable but was a bit odd when he was a puppy. I only say that because all dogs everywhere usually love me and this guy was terrified of me. lol Now, 2 years later, he will gladly come to me for scratches, but when he was little he would bolt and hide if I even looked at him. It’s not like I ever chased him or anything, just squatted down and tried to touch him but he was having none of that. It was weird. My friends refer to me as the animal whisperer because I have a knack for getting the uncatchable to come to me whether it be horses, dogs, cats, etc. just not this guy.

If you get a tri, be prepared for “Is that a corgi mix?” followed by “Oh, I’ve never seen one that color!” :wink:

1 Like

The breed is rare, now, in the UK. A little historical note: they were used as cattle driving dogs (heeling and barking) by the Welsh drovers who took herds from the Welsh mountains to the market in London, or to major cities in the Midlands. The drovers would be away from home for weeks, travelling along familiar tracks, the dogs working with them. Going home again, once the livestock was sold, the dogs would take off and run home on their own. When the dogs arrived everyone knew the men would be home soon as well.

1 Like

We had a Pembroke Corgi, female, for about 12 years. She had charming points and some real issues that were hard to live with. She loved ALL children, would squirm her way over to them for pets and hugs. Started that as a tiny puppy. She liked pretty much everyone human, excellent on a leash, accepting pets from everyone. She was a bit of a coward around unfamiliar dogs, so not a good Obedience competitor during long sits and downs when they looked at her. Have to say she could do mileage with no issues! Very speedy on a leash beside the bicycle on vacation, which is how we exercised our dogs.

On the bad side, she barked at EVERY noise! No correction would fix it beyond a moment. Sorry, I hate barking dogs, they set my last nerve going. So we resorted to a bark collar, and it worked well. She got 2 barks before collar reacted, so both of us were happy. She hated our other dogs and would attack them for no apparent reason! The big dogs were rather tolerant about that until she started biting harder with age. Corgi have serious teeth, it can hurt! She fought to win but they only fought defensively, keeping her back, so she usually was not damaged. Though a couple times they lost patience and she needed to go to the Vet for repairs. And she would go at them AGAIN once healed! She never went at anyone else’s dog, just ours. We learned from other Corgi owners that they will fight and can be deadly in groups of 2 or more. A pair went after a roaming Rottwieler that tried attacking their owner and killed him! Dog was over 5 miles from home and owner tried to sue Corgi owner for “damages!” Judge threw the case out over his ridiculous claim. Said he was considering fining Rottwieler owner for not controlling a dangerous animal!

We controlled the hair with a weekly combing and vacuuming her. Otherwise she shed worse than a German Shepherd, daily. The spring and fall shed lasted about a week of bath, then daily grooming, then done. We started the vacuuming as a little puppy, both blowing and suction, which was a huge help with any shedding and drying her much faster after a bath. As mentioned, they are pretty weather resistant to dirt, rain or snow. A shake and they look good.

Our Corgi was small, from working stock dogs. The breeder had parents, grandparents to view. The eye thing doesn’t show until dog is older, 4 and up. All the dogs had good eyes and hips, moving well even as older dogs. They were all smaller dogs, 25 pounds or less, no fatties among them. Many people thought she was a puppy even as an old dog. I never cared for the “big” Corgi of 30-40 pounds on huge bone. Not fitting the breed standard, not very active and had a lot of health issues. We kept our dog weight at 18-19 pounds, no-fat treats lIke cheerios. They can accumulate fat in their liver eating human food. She was much more active at a lighter weight. We never let her “jump up or down” into cars or trucks or on furniture. We lifted her up or down. House has few stairs so she did not have to manage them. I firmly believe that helped prevent spinal issues over her life.

I probably would not have another Corgi unless it was my only dog. Corgsi I know do not “speak” regular dog talk, react like regular dogs to situations. They are butt-biters for fun, which regular dogs react badly to! Guess I am not a Corgi person at heart. We enjoyed many things about her, but not enough to get another.

2 Likes

I’ve had 4 boy Corgis and one girl. All shed like crazy. All were/are wonderful creatures. Smart, smart, smart with a sense of humor. As a prior poster said “dictators” but trainable with clear rules. Saying in our house “Corgis love rules”. And all have been serious eaters. Weight management can be a challenge because well, Corgis are smart and my husband is an easy mark. Love my Corgs!

Cardigan Corgi mix here! I have a “Cojack” and he is the coolest little dog. We joke Corgi trainable with Jack Russell energy. Does not shed, super smart and basic puppy training was a breeze except for house training. House training took until 10 months. Obedience training was too easy… He is 4 now, he is an entitled little bugger, sleeping on the bed is his birthright. Love this little dog, would have another in minute.

3 Likes

Well we decided to go with another lab. Now I keep seeing the corgi puppy pics and they are so freaking cute I am second guessing myself. Maybe the next dog…

As an aside, I really tried, I mean, I TRIED, to adopt/not shop and it really just broke my heart more.

1 Like

Cardigan Welsh Corgi need a very dedicated trainer. They’re smart, so if you aren’t consistent in training, they’ll walk all over you. They need mental stimulation or they can get destructive.

They shed all year. A lot. Don’t let anyone tell you differently.

They are noisy. They bark. They talk back. My corgi “talks” to me all the time. He makes grumbly growly noises constantly. If you’re not okay with a little barking, then this is not the dog for you. Any corgi owner I’ve talked to has never been able to 100% train a corgi to not bark. They’re a good little guard dogs. They will always tell you when they hear something.

3 Likes

“I know I wasn’t allowed in the kitchen yesterday, but maybe today is different.”
“Outside ball isn’t allowed in the house. I’ll drop it outside the door…and then grab it real quick when I come inside. Maybe Mahm won’t notice.”
Their creativity and persistence is amusing. :joy:

2 Likes