Unlimited access >

Tell me about your *dream* tack trunk

Hello COTHers! My sister and I have decided to get together and start building a custom tack trunk for myself! Having never owned a tack trunk, I thought I would source your brilliant minds :). What are your favorite/least favorite components in your tack trunk. What do you wish your tack trunk had that it doesn’t?

And if you’ve built your own tack trunk, is there anything you wish you would have done differently?

This is going to be an on and off project as I definitely don’t need one immediately. But I do enjoy working with my hands, and thought this would be a great project for us to work on together. :slight_smile:

Thanks so much for your input!

Someone in the tack trunk thread has a trunk with a secret drawer in the bottom and I think that’s the most genius thing I’ve ever heard of.

If I had to do it over again, I’d probably get a bandage lid. I have a deep lid, but it’s not a bandage lid, and my wraps are in the bottom of my trunk and get dirty and take up too much space. I guess I could always put dowels or something in the lid to make it a bandage lid but that seems like a lot of work and I don’t wanna.

Build yourself a tray. Maybe make some compartments in the bottom, but you may want to wait until after you’ve used it a while so you know how you like to organize your trunk.

OH! The handles are very important. Don’t get the skinny brass handles. Get the ones that are spring-loaded and wider in the part where your hand would actually hold them. Trust me. If you’re taking this trunk to horse shows, whoever moves it will thank you for it.

Thank you, ybiaw! I had yet to see the giant tack trunk thread until now. I think that should answer all of my questions!

Trunk, as in traditional trunk? Upright trunk? Or unconventional trunk? Will it be moved/loaded for shows? With or without wheels? Where will it ‘live’, at the barn, in barn storage, next to stall, in tack room?

For a semi-permanent trunk, I would love an armoire style cabinet/trunk to have at home. Alas, I settle for the Stanley trunks at the barn. I do also have a Burlington style upright trunk which is easy to move; usually it just holds misc tack and gear I don’t need.

keysfins, most likely it will be a traditional trunk that will live at the barn next to a stall and be loaded for shows.

But since I’m creating this from scratch, I’m totally open to all ideas. :slight_smile:

I always like to drool over these designs: http://elitetackdesign.com/

The plans cost money, but even if you don’t purchase one, there are some good ideas in them. If I was going to build another tack box, I’d use one of those sets of plans.

I am going to recommend you get handles wide enough to use two hands on, at each end of the trunk. Maybe use a grab bar from the safety equipment in bathroom supplies. They come in metal colors. The handles most folks have are only one hand wide. Only let you use one hand per end, so that is a LOT of weight on your poor hand and arm to move them. The grab bar is also a larger diameter, more comfortable for your hands to hold on to, than those skinny type, fold down handles. I have some of these wider handles on one tack trunk, which came with it, are so much easier to use to move it around.

I don’t use my tack trunks to work out of, just storage of equipment. I really don"t use the trays and totes, though they appear well used before I got them. Use some kind of protective paint inside, perhaps enamel, which will clean up easier with spills of linement, shampoo, etc. I painted over the stains, but it took several coats to get that done, quit the bleed thru of spilled “blue paint” wound treatment in the wood.

Do NOT use mothballs inside a tack trunk. Well made, the trunk should seal to keep moths out. Once that stink gets in the wood, it is about impossible to get out. I am about to try Fabreeze on a recent trunk purchase. Nothing else has done much to kill the moth ball smell, but I have hopes for the Fabreeze, just hadn’t thought of trying it before. Airing it out, painting over with several coats, coffee sprinkled in to absorb, dryer sheets, washing with various cleaners, so far have not done a lot on that smell. I do have the stuff stored inside, in plastic bags, so they don’t smell too much when pulled out to use. Just the trunk itself, which is too bad because it is a lovely trunk and very roomy.

[QUOTE=tunamarie;8626937]
Thank you, ybiaw! I had yet to see the giant tack trunk thread until now. I think that should answer all of my questions![/QUOTE]

Where is the giant tack trunk thread?

[QUOTE=goodhors;8627018]

Do NOT use mothballs inside a tack trunk. Well made, the trunk should seal to keep moths out. Once that stink gets in the wood, it is about impossible to get out. I am about to try Fabreeze on a recent trunk purchase. Nothing else has done much to kill the moth ball spray, but I have hopes for the Fabreeze, just hadn’t thought of trying it before. Airing it out, painting over with several coats, coffee sprinkled in to absorb, dryer sheets, washing with various cleaners, so far have not done a lot on that smell. I do have the stuff stored inside, in plastic bags, so they don’t smell too much when pulled out to use. Just the trunk itself, which is too bad because it is a lovely trunk and very roomy.[/QUOTE]

Try setting trays of charcoal briquettes in the closed trunk. Alternatively, loosely wadded up newspaper. Both absorb odors fairly well. I have used both in storage freezers when power failed and frozen meat spoiled. Another option is an ozone generator.

I covet the McGuinn vertical trunks and airplane boxes… http://www.mcguinnfarms.com/index.html

I’m lucky and my husband built one for us a few years ago. Ours does not carry tack and we use it differently than most people, so our layout may not work out as well for you.

We have several containers that go on the top shelf and are labeled to what is in them (so no more digging around!). We have containers for carriage parts, tools, pens, timers etc.

The bottom part has a milk crate that contains shampoo, fly spray, hoof blackner etc. Then my braiding kit goes in front of that. On the other side we store our clock, show halters, extra bits and lead shanks. Of course I don’t have any pictures of it filled, but here are some pics when it was first built:
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1017016_10154083560840046_5506616697691035472_n.jpg?oh=c92f7101544d569903b2c70da95f220b&oe=57B0EA51
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t1.0-9/10259946_10154040158295046_4022952614960320298_n.jpg?oh=7e78429557ebb973493a78b66d153f46&oe=57AACE6B

Our tack box is heavy, just over 100lb loaded, and yes to the leather handles as others have stated! We had metal ones on an older tack box and they were horrible and really hurt your hands!

We have a white board that is attached to the inside of the lid as well where we can write notes (I make notes for myself for when to braid the ponies, when to bring the ponies out to harness up and our show times. It helps me stay organized), but its not in the photos. It was an add on and I find it really helps me.

[QUOTE=bdj;8627043]
I covet the McGuinn vertical trunks and airplane boxes… http://www.mcguinnfarms.com/index.html[/QUOTE]

Ooooh, one of my trainers has something like the All Aluminum Airplane box. It is called “Big Bertha”, and goes to shows. SO much easier to roll and load over the ancient-but-much-loved oversized eventing trunk without wheels.

If it is wood, put wheels on the darn thing.

I have a really beautiful wooden tack truck that I got about ten years ago. Dark dark wood that’s almost black. Custom made with a bandage holder in the top, tray with dividers, and matching grooming tote. Brass everything including plate. Inlaid and carved.

Love that trunk. I have a matching bit box made for it as well. Felt lined, brass fixtures and plate, leather handles. They look really sharp in the tack room.

That being said, It sits in the barn and does not leave. It is so flipping heavy!! Even empty it is heavy. I have to get the dolly out whenever I want to move it. Plus lifting it in my trailer, good lord.

If I could go back I would have wheels put on the darn thing. It is so impractical to bring to shows. I would want heavy duty wheels, none of those small roller wheels that are pretty but are useless once they hit dirt.

I actually have two of the Dan’s Duralite trunks. One I’ve had for nine years now and it is in perfect shape. The other I bought a few years ago second hand. Love those trunks. Plus they stack perfectly in the trailer.
http://www.dans-saddlery.com/3.0/tack-trunks.htm

I love the vertical trunks. I dream of having one custom done one day.

I haven’t even considered leather handles. I was thinking something nice and long like these:
http://www.mcguinnfarms.com/images/trunks/mahagony_m.jpg

But I like the idea of the spring loaded or leather ones.

FLeventer: Wheels are a wonderful idea! I think I’ll definitely add that to my list of things to discuss adding. :smiley: :smiley:

[QUOTE=bdj;8627043]
I covet the McGuinn vertical trunks and airplane boxes… http://www.mcguinnfarms.com/index.html[/QUOTE]

Their tack trunks are GORGEOUS!

I really like the lockable small interior compartment option that McGuinn offers for keeping things like your wallet and phone secure when you may not want to have the entire trunk locked. I also really like their various stacking options, like having a coordinated cabinet or drawers that sits under the trunk.

Having had a bandage lid trunk, it is not a feature I prefer. They are always so heavy and wind up not going many places where I would actually use the bandages. I prefer to hang bandages on the stall front, either with bungees (the cheap option) or in a hanging bandage bag (the less cheap option).

[QUOTE=Kimstar;8626979]
I always like to drool over these designs: http://elitetackdesign.com/

The plans cost money, but even if you don’t purchase one, there are some good ideas in them. If I was going to build another tack box, I’d use one of those sets of plans.[/QUOTE]

My dad built me this one: http://elitetackdesign.com/WTP_pg.html

I love the fact that my saddle fits inside of it (with room to spare since it is an English saddle). My only complaint about it was that the compartment that is under the hatch is hard to get to–you have to take everything out of that space to open the hatch.

I asked him about the viability of cutting a door into the front of the trunk to make it easier to get at that space and he modified the plans to include one and is building me a second trunk as a replacement. He’s going to put in a slider in that space (like under a kitchen sink) and I plan to store things like mud boots (mine) and bottles of fly spray, shampoo, etc down there.

The first was made of poplar and is gorgeous. The second is going to be white oak.

Another thing that I added on was a collapsible blanket bar on the back for hanging sweaty saddle pads. The hazard of having a woodworker for a father is that he builds things that are air tight–damp pads were causing mold issues.

http://elitetackdesign.com/DAC_pg.html

We are in the process of building this one. I say in the process because it was supposed to be my Christmas present TWO christmases ago, and the pieces are still sitting all around my apartment (that’s another story…). We did modify the plans a bit to be slightly larger so that I will have room to hang either pads or folded coolers/fly sheets inside, and we added a third bridle rack, because I need space for his show halter, snaffle bridle, and (soon) full bridle. And we’re putting a collapsing blanket rack or perhaps a towel bar on the outside so I can hang pads to dry.

We also added heavy duty wheels so that we can move it back and forth between the barn and shows, and we’re using birch plywood stained in light cherry rather than pine plywood… all brass hardware, and I don’t remember what we’re doing for handles…

I LOVE the design, and it’s going to be wonderful when it’s actually done, which hopefully will be sometime soon…

I prefer the vertical trunks because the top of mine always collect stuff (and sometimes people) and I got tired of having to always move it to open my trunk. That said, the awesome vertical trunk my husband built me is HUGE and I’ve downsized some of my stuff since then, so I’m currently using a Dewalt from the home improvement store! At some point we will rework the vertical trunk to better hold my current setup.

[QUOTE=McVillesMom;8627727]
I prefer the vertical trunks because the top of mine always collect stuff (and sometimes people).[/QUOTE]

Hah! Yesss, this is true. The majority of the trunks at my barn are pretty cluttered on top with either horse paraphernalia or butts :lol: :lol:.