Unlimited access >

Tell me - French Bulldogs

Tell me about French Bulldogs.

I consider myself a dog person but for some reason I’ve never paid a bit of attention to this breed…don’t see that many around and have never actually met one.

My daughter just bought a puppy (Olive) and it is certainly the cutest little thing and has passed all health checks. Seems her main interest in life is to cuddle and be with her person…and eat.

From my experience, they are rather charming and love everyone. They are smart and do well in obedience. But with that squashed face, be careful in hot weather.

1 Like

Yes, indeed - not good in hot. Climate here is very moderate, but in some areas it would be hard on them with those little faces. I actually hope she is not too extreme in that way. Friend has a pug and had his little nose reamed out to give him more air…

They are HUGELY popular right now and are everywhere - I have no idea what started the trend. I know a few people who have them and they are really sweet dogs, but they are in no way a dog for someone who lives an active lifestyle and wants the dog to be a part of that. That shouldn’t surprise anyone who understands anatomy and physiology, and can see the conformation of a French Bulldog’s face.

One of my groomers had one. Nice dog, but SO many health issues. It had horrid allergies/skin issues. Plus the noises they make are just gross and weird.

Frenchie noises are the best! They sound like zombies and I love it.

Anyways from the veterinarian point of view, they do tend to have neurologic issues and I know several who can’t walk and are in wheel chairs.

I love them and want one, but I always joke that I’d run it through a CT machine before getting it as they really do have some issues.

I think they are adorable, but very irresponsible to breed and buy them (essentially any bulldog).

There is a Frenchie on the show Modern Family which may have added to their popularity the last few years.

1 Like

How are they in cold and snowy weather? I think they would have to wear coats a lot of the year, and you would have to either shovel the yard a lot, or have a covered patio they could go potty on during snow storms, and after. In Colorado I had to shovel the back deck, stairs, and paths for the dogs, and that was a pain.

My farrier had one and he was a great dog; it was a rescue situation where the dog got left behind by people in a divorce…so sad! :frowning: He stayed home in the summer and traveled with a coat all winter long. Being a bit top heavy/head-heavy he had to be careful with him in the truck. But he was a smart dog and really fun character.

To say that the puppy has passed “all health checks” is a misunderstanding of what “health clearances” means - the puppy is too young to be evaluated for congenital health defects. It would be the parents that should be cleared of congenital issues prior to being bred.

They are super cute but SO MANY have such SERIOUS congenital problems. It’s sad. :frowning:

The vet clinic I use had a breeder who kept bringing in litter after litter, different breedings, and from each litter almost immediately half the pups had problems. Several staffers ended up adopting the culls. And she was a “responsible” breeder and tested her breeding stock (and didn’t repeat breedings with problems) but there are so many issues in the breed generally, it can be really hard to get away from them. They seem to have great personalities, but you have to be ridiculously careful when you pick one and even then, it’s no guarantee.

This is (apparently) what the breeder of this pup did - bred these dogs for years, but I take all that at face value - parents had all been checked, for whatever, but we will have to see. They can’t all be genetic freaks!

[QUOTE=Foxtrot’s;8784114]
They can’t all be genetic freaks![/QUOTE]

But that’s part of what the breed IS- genetic freaks… The breed was made from dwarf bulldogs and refined from there. So they took freaks and bred to freaks and kept on going until the “look” of the FB became more pronounced… which is when you start having more and more problems. The more extreme the breed is, the more you concentrate “bad” extreme to get the “good” extreme. That’s the problem :frowning:

An exaggerated face like that goes along with breathing and eye problems. An exaggerated body like that goes along with hip and spine issues.

Certainly they are not the ONLY breed to have issues, but the more extreme you make an animal look, the more you get the health consequences that go hand-in-hand with that look.

I love them, I think they’re SUPER CUTE and sweet dogs. They are, however, a breed that generally has a lot of issues, many serious, and a shortish lifespan given the size.

3 Likes

Oh Christ - I didn’t mean it that way and I think you might have figured that. I have a boxer (our fourth), perfectly healthy.

I guess I don’t understand what you wanted then, OP. You asked people to tell you about the breed. When they told you, you dismissed it. Apparently this puppy will buck all the trends. Just like your boxers (a breed I would say has its share of problems but not as extreme a type as FB). Okay, terrific. This dog, like your dogs, will beat the odds. So… I don’t know what you’re looking for then?!

1 Like

This is ridiculous - I’ve never known a French Bulldog myself, so came here.
I know they can have problems, my point is I don’t necessarily think she can beat the odds, but obviously some do. My boxers have all been fine and I know they can have heart problems, too…all dog breeds have some problems it seems these days if you search all breeds.

How many of our COTH members have actually bought one of these dogs?

I did not expect to be told my daughter was irresponsible to buy the pup…

I suggest your daughter obtain pet health insurance and secure a vet now.

Perhaps discuss a grain-free diet and keeping the dog lean with her vet.

There are surgeries to alleviate some of the airway problems. So many breed lovers say the sounds are normal but they aren’t. Those sounds come from the dog struggling to get air.

Google the common health problems: skin, spine, eyes, tail, and multiple airway issues from nares to palete.

1 Like

I’m with you OP. I think it’s rude to say it’s irresponsible to buy or breed them. There are responsible breeders out there. The biggest problem with that is that it is very expensive to get a really reputable breeder’s puppy.
As a vet, I had one take a huge chunk out of a tech’s arm, but that was only one. All the others I’ve dealt with have been sweet. But they are bulldogs, so they come with skin issues, breathing problems in hot weather, and bulldog noises. But I love them anyway.

[QUOTE=Foxtrot’s;8784587]
This is ridiculous - I’ve never known a French Bulldog myself, so came here.
I know they can have problems, my point is I don’t necessarily think she can beat the odds, but obviously some do. My boxers have all been fine and I know they can have heart problems, too…all dog breeds have some problems it seems these days if you search all breeds.

How many of our COTH members have actually bought one of these dogs?

I did not expect to be told my daughter was irresponsible to buy the pup…[/QUOTE]

I dunno…my friend has one and let’s just say that the dog is “energetic.” It’s like the friggin’ Energizer Bunny, it runs all day long at the barn. Seems fine around the horses and doesn’t appear to have any health issues, including labored breathing that I’ve seen. She is super fit, though and slightly underweight from all that running around.

I think that’s a great idea to get pet insurance. Never used it before, but this might be what she should do.

There is a vet here who specializes in these dogs, used by the breeder. She she will contact them.

I do have a friend who had her pug’s nostrils widened.

Lots of health problems. But cute as hell. I squish all over them at work. I can’t help it. They are freaking cute.