Unlimited access >

The Big C! RIP Kim, see pg. 218

There, I said it. Cancer. And evidently I have it.
It was suggested by folks on the Colonoscopy thread to start a separate thread.
I was hesitant because it seemed to me that I was looking for sympathy. Nope, Just support from wonderful COTHERS. Who after 18 years are my virtual family.
I would like to hear from anyone who has or has ever had cancer, or was close to someone who did, or does.
It was discovered yesterday during a colonoscopy. Which was a piece of cake.
I do not know what stage or anything yet. But it is not something that was just started. I am waiting to hear from the Docs office for the surgeon apointment. and CT scan.
What I want most is to tell people who say it can never happen to me and I do not need to get tested, BS.
I just turned 60, and I was the poster child for never going to the doc. Been healthy my whole life never an ilness or surgery. However, I had these odd symptoms that were mild and not bad for the last several years. I only made this appointment when things got painful this winter. Hopefully I can beat it…
I used to say Ahh, 60 is old enough, I have no family, I have lived a good life. Well, not a good thing to say. :slight_smile:
I feel very different now.
Like I said I have gotten some wonderful advise from the folks on the colonoscopy thread.
The most important is to stop planning my demise before I have all the facts. :lol:
I welcome all your comments info and experiences.
And please please please. if any of you are thinking this will never happen to me, think again. the test is so not a big deal. Cancer is another story. Thanks for letting me vent.
COTHERS have always been the most supportive bunch I know.

First off, hug. Second, you’ll get through this.

I’ll write more when I can focus.

3 Likes

Oh, that’s not the world’s happiest outcome, true. But it’s also something many MANY people face down just fine. I don’t have specific experience to offer you, but I’ll be keeping track of your posts, and you have my best wishes.

3 Likes

Wait to worry until you know more what to worry about.

Then we will all worry along with you.

Next seems to be more diagnostics, easy ones, it seems, no more hose one end ones.
That is something to be thankful for.

5 Likes

Yes, but I forgot to write this on the other thread. after all that clean out yesterday morning. I decided I would step on the scale. I weighed 8 lbs less than I did a week before. LOL Sadly I am sure that has changed.

7 Likes

Wow, you must have really cleaned a lot out, good for you.

3 Likes

Hugs. My mom’s best friend is alive and thriving 20 years of a diagnosis of colon cancer (and not super early) in her late 40’s

9 Likes

I’m glad you got a diagnosis, but sorry it was this one. My BIL had colon cancer a few years ago, had minor surgery, and is doing great still.

4 Likes

I am so sorry to hear this, Sannois. Hugs for you.
Sheilah

1 Like

@Sannois

You got peeps here who are on your team. Chin up. Get more info. We Will know where we are

4 Likes

A friend’s mother was diagnosed with stage 4 rectal cancer a few years ago. She had surgery, no colostomy, and has been cancer free through all of the testing since.

You can get through this.

5 Likes

Last spring Mr P had a higher than usual PSA. He elected to retest in a few months. It was still high. Another blood test, a 4K was mid range. Had a biopsy in Nov, Gleson score 3 + 4. Oncotype testing said that active surveilence was not an option, choice of radiation or surgery. Had the robotic prostatectomy a few weeks ago.

Best news: Clean margins.

I wish the same for you.

And {{{{HUGS}}} it’s been a stressful 6 months. He’s 71 and no, it’s not old enough.

5 Likes

Ok, found you.
I`m still in.

2 Likes

Good of you for having the procedure and here’s hoping you get answers and directions from your Doctor ASAP. A High school friend just completed chemo after two surgeries for colon cancer and he is doing very well. Baby steps and prayers for you.

1 Like

My dad was diagnoised back in 05’. He has been clear of anything including polyps since 2012! As far as cancers go, if you’re going to get it, colon cancer is one of the “best” (I know, there is no such thing when it comes to cancer) and is highly treatable with one of the best remission rates out there.

5 Likes

Holy Crap!!!:eek:

Sorry, couldn’t resist…I’ll shut up now. :o

19 Likes

{{Sannois}}

FWIW, not colon cancer but cancer survivor of 59 years :slight_smile:

It can be beaten!

I have never gotten the feeling you were looking for sympathy but support for deciding to get the procedure done, support for the prep, support for the anesthesia and now support for the next steps.

We’re here to hold your hand as much or as little as you feel you need (and that can change day to day).

It is scary but that’s what we’re here for!

7 Likes

@Sannois

I can’t stress enough how fond we are of you, and how many friends you have here. Whatever it is diagnostically we are here and will be with you.

5 Likes

I am glad you got a diagnosis, but sorry it was this. No personal experience with cancer but have seen many patients come into the ER who were fighting and doing well. Have met many a survivor. You will be there, too.

Right now I am giving you a huge (((((hug))))) and wishing you strength, optimism and positivity. We are here to lift you up.

2 Likes

I would like to strongly encourage you to join the below group. You will get a tremendous amount of support from people who have that specific CA as well as information on treatments, trials, care giving, etc. Ask any question there, someone has been there, done that. I have been a member in a different group for 5 years. Yes, you have to sign up with your email address, but I have never gotten any spam from it.

https://www.smartpatients.com/forums/colorectal-cancer

https://www.smartpatients.com/commun…orectal-cancer

Hugs to you.

3 Likes