Unlimited access >

The Big NYC Carriage Thread/UPDATES posts #41-51 NEW/EQUUS/Fran Jurga #67

When the City Council considers the ban, it’s now more likely to get thoroughly reviewed instead of them just rubber-stamping the mayor’s request.

I grew up in Chicago, and I remember in the 1950’s and 1960’s hearing stories of politicians who had purchased houses from people in poorer neighborhoods, at a price that was attractive to the owners. However, later these homes were sold at a great profit when the expressways were built. The politicians knew about the planned expressways whereas the homeowners (generally the children of immigrants – my family was Polish) knew nothing about it. That means I grew up deeply distrustful of any land grab. And this smells like a land grab to me.

There were a lot of RARAs on the tweet storm. Peta was on there posting photo of third world carriage horses that were thin with injuries and hobbles an trying to pass the photos off as NYC horses, and actress Kathy Najimi was on there telling people that the carriage supporters were paying people $2 per tweet. Then you also had NYCLASS tweeting the “doctored” photo of the stripped stall that they originally passed around earlier this year

Great to have a consolidated source for all of this information!

Hey, Kathy, I tweeted for free.

It’s strange to say, but I am starting to feel a bit sorry for people who are anti-carriage and have been duped by NYCLASS. There are people on this board who I consider my friends, and whose opinions I value, and they are anti-carriage. And probably, over the years, some of the improvements in NYC have been because it’s better for the industry to make the improvement than to have it legislated. Maybe the meddling and pressure from the antis had a positive impact. If NYCLASS turns out to be more of a sham than a genuine organization of New Yorkers who want cleaner streets and better environment, some donors might feel ripped off. I’m totally against PETA and any organization that wants to tell me I can’t ride/work my horse, but certainly there are instances where action from animal welfare groups is a good thing.

Tweet Storm was a HUGE success! :slight_smile:

Connecting the dots: http://theothermccain.com/2014/01/06/will-de-blasio-get-away-with-this/

"It was right there in the open: A story that, if it didn’t exactly “write itself,” as they say, was not very difficult to put together. All you have to do is go to SaveNYCHorseCarriages.com and start clicking links. Everything is right there, including links to news coverage of the shady background of the anti-carriage crusade:

Anyone can go see the “Timeline of a Scandal,” and anyone can find out how to contact carriage industry supporters for interviews. So why isn’t this sleazy hustle — real-estate money bankrolling politicians to push a phony animal-rights issue — front-page headlines in the New York Times? They won’t do it, so we’ll have to do it ourselves.

American Thinker – Following the money in De Blasio's horse-drawn carriage ban
Weasel Zippers – NYC Horse And Carriage Drivers Fight Back Against De Blasio Attempt To Ban Their Industry
Evil Blogger Lady — So why is Mayor De Blasio banning carriage horses in NYC? Hint: It is less about horse welfare and more about political donor welfare…
The Lonely Conservative — #SaveNYCHorseCarriages From Bill De Blasio
Da Tech Guy – And Mayor Bill DiBlasso as Senator Joseph Payne
Riehl World View – Is De Blasio's Horse-Drawn Carriage Ban About Campaign Cash?

Linked by Instapundit and a Memeorandum thread. Let’s roll."

I just wish a MAJOR publication or news outlet would pick up on this, like the NYT, New Yorker or 60 Minutes.

Jimmy Fallon did an awesome bit on us in his monologue last night - and the audience’s reaction was even better!! WooT!!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x19c405_late-night-with-jimmy-fallon-monologue-jan-6-2014-part-2_news

PS - website is being debugged as we speak for all of you who have contacted! Thank you for your patience!

[QUOTE=Beverley;7356879]
Might I also add a plea from Utah for proponents of carriages to comment on the proposed ordinance changes here via this link:

http://www.slcgov.com/opencityhall?pd_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.peakdemocracy.com%2Fportals%2F79%2Fforum_home%3Factive_forum_id%3D221%26active_issue_id%3D1616%26phase%3DOpen

I am well aware BTW that some folks are po’d at the owners of the one company here over how things were handled last August- but I still maintain that collectively, on a national (even international) basis we need to weigh in on the facts- horses pulling carriages is not cruel or inhumane. So we really need a lot of comments before tomorrow’s meetings- especially since 3 new council members were sworn in this morning- their thoughts are unknown but education never hurts.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=horsefaerie;7357513]I would hope that Cothers would unite against ANY attack on the carriage horses right now and in the future.

THey are coming after ALL horses one discipline at a time.

Now is the time to be heard by the thousands and perhaps delay these attacks or our relationship with these beautiful animals![/QUOTE]

I second that.

Watching some gaited horses motoring around and around, strange way of going, cut tails and padded feet, is to me like someone scratching a blackboard.

There are many, many out there that such is a great feeling, they understand all that goes along with it and why they do this and that and how to do all that in a humane way, so horses are taken care of properly.

That I don’t like that at all, just as some don’t like other we do, here carriage horses giving rides to tourists in cities, well, that falls into the live and let live category of what all of us need to understand falls outside of personal preferences, if we want to have a world that fits all.

When someone decides now that what they want is the one and only that should happen, everyone else’s wishes don’t matter, as animal rights extremist do about any use of animals, the NYC carriage horses just one more stepping stone to their goals, then we really should give this a second and third thought and try to stay together, or divided we will fall to extremists.

Lets continue to work so what we do with our animals is sensible, to avoid abuses where they happen, but lets not have others against what all of us do, have horses for whatever we do, be thrown out with the bathwater, just because some may not like this or that others do with their animals.

I hope that the NYC carriage horses at least get their time in the spotlight to present their side, something it seems they have not had, their voice ground by extremists and opportunists, the first ones after eliminating all uses of animals, the others after the very valuable real estate the carriage horses are using.

I don’t know where this will go.
The carriage horses may be run off NYC yet.
Think, to let the public hear both sides is the right thing to do first.
Don’t help those that want to silence them, as some horse people seem to be doing.
By doing so, you are furthering the agendas of those that are after all of us.:no:

[QUOTE=pony4me;7357619]
Hey, Kathy, I tweeted for free.

It’s strange to say, but I am starting to feel a bit sorry for people who are anti-carriage and have been duped by NYCLASS. There are people on this board who I consider my friends, and whose opinions I value, and they are anti-carriage. And probably, over the years, some of the improvements in NYC have been because it’s better for the industry to make the improvement than to have it legislated. Maybe the meddling and pressure from the antis had a positive impact. If NYCLASS turns out to be more of a sham than a genuine organization of New Yorkers who want cleaner streets and better environment, some donors might feel ripped off. I’m totally against PETA and any organization that wants to tell me I can’t ride/work my horse, but certainly there are instances where action from animal welfare groups is a good thing.[/QUOTE]

The active players in NYC probably shagged up with whomever had some muscle.
The true AR folks took in the greedy land grabbers, because of their political power, the Landgrabbers put up with the nutters because that was cheap (free) labor to keep the pressure on the drivers and to create a fake media outrage.

The COTH antis…well…they seem to believe they are above reproach when it comes to animal husbandry.

But then again, there is that chasm that is hard to understand for an outsider: You are not allowed to keep an animal, because you are cruel. But I can keep my birds, dogs fish or horse, because I am a better person than you…
(Had a lady on a bird keeping webside tell me ‘I think PETA does great work’ while stating she was veg-something-or-other, then telling a teenage member, she HAD to stay home from a holiday family gathering because the eggs of her bird were about to hatch…there was no question for her…totally skewed priorities!)

[QUOTE=michaleenflynn;7358322]
Jimmy Fallon did an awesome bit on us in his monologue last night - and the audience’s reaction was even better!! WooT!!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x19c405_late-night-with-jimmy-fallon-monologue-jan-6-2014-part-2_news

PS - website is being debugged as we speak for all of you who have contacted! Thank you for your patience![/QUOTE]

You gonna invite him to a free ride?

I just had a discouraging FB interaction with a couple of people heavily involved in the TB industry. They are against NYC carriage horses, believing “horses don’t belong in NYC.” They also believe that racing isn’t at risk because it’s “a billion dollar industry employing thousands of people.” Ugh, do they not understand that RARAs would love to get rid of racing, which certainly has a higher fatality and serious injury rate than just about any other equine activity? Wake up, people! This issue isn’t just about the NYC carriage industry. It’s about the slippery slope that bans or limits all sorts of horse sports.

[QUOTE=michaleenflynn;7358322]

PS - website is being debugged as we speak for all of you who have contacted! Thank you for your patience![/QUOTE]

I opened this and got a redirect to a spam/virus link Use caution.

[QUOTE=lolalola;7358861]
I just had a discouraging FB interaction with a couple of people heavily involved in the TB industry. They are against NYC carriage horses, believing “horses don’t belong in NYC.” They also believe that racing isn’t at risk because it’s “a billion dollar industry employing thousands of people.” Ugh, do they not understand that RARAs would love to get rid of racing, which certainly has a higher fatality and serious injury rate than just about any other equine activity? Wake up, people! This issue isn’t just about the NYC carriage industry. It’s about the slippery slope that bans or limits all sorts of horse sports.[/QUOTE]

they forget quickly the ‘racing is krewel’ outcry after Barbaro, and what other big name racer has a catastrophic breakdown in the public eye.

[QUOTE=lolalola;7358861]
I just had a discouraging FB interaction with a couple of people heavily involved in the TB industry. They are against NYC carriage horses, believing “horses don’t belong in NYC.” They also believe that racing isn’t at risk because it’s “a billion dollar industry employing thousands of people.” Ugh, do they not understand that RARAs would love to get rid of racing, which certainly has a higher fatality and serious injury rate than just about any other equine activity? Wake up, people! This issue isn’t just about the NYC carriage industry. It’s about the slippery slope that bans or limits all sorts of horse sports.[/QUOTE]

Really? Racing isn’t at risk? Tell that to the people who work at Balmoral, Maywood, and any other Illinois track, I am sure they would be glad to hear from someone who is so positive about that because right now the atmosphere is pretty gloomy in Illinois racing. The doom and gloom can ALWAYS spread.

Yes, I don’t understand the logic of “Horses don’t belong in NYC” but they do belong at the race track.

[QUOTE=lolalola;7358861]

So that was you? Interesting.

[QUOTE=Silly Pink Bunny;7359589]
So that was you? Interesting.[/QUOTE]

Houseguest?:wink:

Look out all you chicken abusers apparently NYCLASS’S Allie Feldman has decided back yard chickens are on their to do away with list

https://scontent-a-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1557674_10152159882612082_46913876_n.jpg

[QUOTE=Lynnwood;7360291]
Look out all you chicken abusers apparently NYCLASS’S Allie Feldman has decided back yard chickens are on their to do away with list

https://scontent-a-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1557674_10152159882612082_46913876_n.jpg[/QUOTE]

Of course…a chicken coop can be replaced with micro apartments for about as many chicks as it housed chickens before…

[QUOTE=Bluey;7359839]
Houseguest?;)[/QUOTE]

http://www.bunnyrabbit.com/equipmentpix/HappyBunny-pinkbkgd.jpg