Unlimited access >

The Crown: Show Jumping Scene

At the Montreal Olympics Princess Anne fell off at a vertical made out of fairly narrow round wood pieces on undulating ground. Then was helped to remount and continued even though she had a concussion and afterwards didn’t remember the round.

She did not also fall off at the water - just the one fall in that round. She went on to complete the SJ the following day, even though the British Team did not complete.

What annoyed me about the episode that was supposedly Badminton: first that they called it a “show jumping career” but then were otherwise accurately portraying that it was 3-day eventing. Second (and worse) they called the horse, a chestnut, Goodwill (who was black)! At the least they could have fudged it by not mentioning a name at all!

I read an article that described the stand-in rider, she is a young rider doing very well in show jumping. Obviously they had to go with whatever horse she was riding.

2 Likes

Thank you for saving me from that rabbit hole tonight!

1 Like

[quote="Blugal, post:38, topic:751947, full:true
What annoyed me about the episode that was supposedly Badminton: first that they called it a “show jumping career” but then were otherwise accurately portraying that it was 3-day eventing. Second (and worse) they called the horse, a chestnut, Goodwill (who was black)! At the least they could have fudged it by not mentioning a name at all!

I read an article that described the stand-in rider, she is a young rider doing very well in show jumping. Obviously they had to go with whatever horse she was riding.
[/quote]

Sigh… still can’t get the hang of the quote/reply feature.

I think they probably referred to it as a show jumping career because non horsy people watching would have a better idea that’s a horse sport rather than calling it ‘eventing’. I wasn’t annoyed by the scene, I thought it was nice. They could have avoided it altogether, I give them credit for spending the time and money recreating what I thought was an enjoyable horsey scene. So many critics!

3 Likes

It would have been very anachronisic to call it “eventing”. The term had not yet been invented.

At the time, it was called “three day” (even for horse trials which took place on one day).

Have you looked at all the helpful advice in the FAQ thread in the technical help section of the forum?

I find the easiest way to quote is to highlight the text I want to quote and then hit the quote option that pops up. Here is a screen shot of me quoting your post.

But if you do not like that option, there are others that are described well in that thread I linked above.

I’ve read that this is because at any moment she could be pulled into an important/last minute meeting and a helmet would ruin her hairdo! I feel like simply keeping a few appropriate hats handy would solve this issue but I’m merely a peasant, what do I know.

Now that she’s in her 90s I also wouldn’t be surprised if her ponies got a spot of Ace before she went hacking, too…

How about keeping it generic and saying “equestrian career” :slight_smile:
(I’ve never seen the show but curiosity brought me here)

I’ve never watched the show but after reading this thread it’s been added to My List on Netflix. :grinning:

Thanks, i am not coordinated enough apparently and keep touching the wrong buttons. :joy:

The horse scenes are causing comment in the UK too. Referring to Eventing as Show Jumping is one annoyance, filming at Hickstead and calling it Badminton is another, Princess Anne warming up before her round by sitting in a room conversing is a third… The sorry thing is how many people will watch this show and believe it to be factual.

2 Likes

I don’t know if it’s accurate, but there was a recent comment on Facebook that said the Queen is not the first person to get on any horse she rides these days. Not by a long shot.

I do agree that she should wear a helmet, not just for her own safety, but to set a good example for others. However, it’s not as if there is anyone who can tell her what to do. Especially at her age.

4 Likes

Yeah, had the same thoughts as all of you guys. The SJ round was too slow, the horse too noisy, and everyone rides too many Friesians. Actually, if you watched any TV show set in Britain, you might think the place was hoaching with Friesians. I yelled angry things at the screen during the two episodes of Outlander I saw (for many reasons), but Friesians in the Scottish Highlands in 1745 (or ever) was one. LOLOLOL. They wouldn’t last five minutes. The only thing that survives up there are furry, tough Highland ponies. But I’ll give the Crown credit for using a real Highland to carry a deer off a mountain on the Balmoral estate (except it was filmed at Ardverikie, on the other side of the Cairngorm Mountains from Balmoral, but nevermind).

The “ride to a lovely picnic spot and then have a Very Important and Intense conversation while your horses graze totally unsupervised, with their reins on the ground” seems endemic in the entertainment industry. They did this very thing in a 5th season episode of Jane the Virgin, along with dozens of other shows. There seems to be an assumption amongst filmmakers that horses are like cars. You can park them and they stay put; you can drive/ride one away from its pals and it doesn’t care; you never see one refusing to move, screaming for its mate, biting, bucking, taking off, or spooking at nothing. Also, everyone travels everywhere at a flat-out gallop, regardless of footing.

And everyone owns a Friesian.

10 Likes

The thing that had me laughing/banging my head on the couch was the custom CWD that (and someone please correct me if I’m wrong), I’m fairly certain was not around when Princess Anne was competing…?

3 Likes

Only people of a certain age will understand, but when I was young I was very amused by the cowboys in what were known in those days as “Spaghetti Westerns” (movies about cowboys in the old West filmed in Italy.)

They rode the range in the old West on their trusty Andalusian/PRE steeds. For anyone horsey, it was difficult to take seriously. :grin:

4 Likes

Haha my husband just watched a bunch of Sergio Leone movies and every time a horse came on-screen he’d wait for me to tell him what was wrong with it. No Friesians at least though!

3 Likes

At least they’re keeping horses in the public eye and providing employment for some movie horses and their handlers. Even if they don’t get all the details exactly right.

3 Likes

Not from The Crown, but I watched the bad rom-com “Made of Honor” with Patrick Dempsey the other day and the close-up of PD on the horse included him with his legs in front of the thigh/knee blocks in a dressage saddle. I’m happy to tolerate a weird way of holding reins for those close-up shots so long as they aren’t yanking on the horse, but really? Can’t get him in the saddle remotely correctly?

1 Like

Wow. That’s really bad. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

:joy: really? Maybe he was relieving his “nether regions”? Too funny. That can’t have been comfortable :laughing: