Unlimited access >

The Daily Dumb

I can’t even.

4 Likes

Today’s dumb; incorrectly tying a rope halter isn’t actually incorrect or wrong, it’s just less safe

Who knew? :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Sure, you can :smirk:
Me at the Royal Andalusian School in Jerez, Spain:
OhMyGod! That stallion has been performing piaffe in the pillars for at least 10 minutes! :open_mouth:

Crowd, watching another horse rearing:
Oooooooh! Aaaah!!
ClapClapClap :clap:

2 Likes

One trainer long ago used to say, the bigger horses were more quiet because it took longer for the brain signals when spooking to reach their feet and by then they had forgotten they were going to spook.

The smaller ones, according to him, could teleport instantly. :stuck_out_tongue:

29 Likes

Hahaha!
That would explain my 15.1 hand Tb mare’s instant & impressive teleportation abilities.

6 Likes

13.2 pony? They vanish from beneath you. Magic

23 Likes

I have my horses at home, and one day a bypasser asked me why I had a blindfold on my mare. I assured her she could see through the mesh of her fly mask.

My husband’s friend asked him why horses he saw had covers on their “beaks.” We still joke about that one.

Another friend told him he saw a horse wearing leggings - we figured they must have been fly boots.

2 Likes

Oh we have a couple newbies (they were tat the barn for 48 hours, then sent their horses to a trainer for 60 days).

What’s the best first horse for a larger eastern european man who can’t ride?

Yeah, a 2 year old (now freshly saddle broke) fine boned saddlebred!

This ought to be fun. I’m not a fan of this guy already just from the 48 hours he was at the barn, me thinks I will be cold as icewater until he learns to avoid me.

Once I was riding my saddleseat horse in an open English pleasure class at a small local show. Other entries were mostly western pleasure stock horses with a hunt seat saddle thrown on them, along with a couple nice English-moving TBs. In the lineup a lady in the stands pointed right at me and told her friend that my horse must be inexperienced because I was riding him in a “training bridle.” I had him in a full bridle.

11 Likes

I wonder if we knew the same guy except he wasn’t a newbie, just clueless. I remember the time he brought his new horse, a two year old paint saddlebred or something like that on a trail ride. The poor horse was scared out of its wits and was forced to carry this big guy on a full day’s ride. The horse was exhausted by the end and the guy was bragging he was going to “make a mountain horse out of him.” Yeah, if he doesn’t break him first which I think is probably what happened.

5 Likes

One thing I remember from an old thread was the ringside comment about the Siamese horse (it was a buckskin).

The thread was “Things Non-Horse People Say at Shows.” (Sorry, I am inept at linking in our new format.)

One thing about the Dumbs. If you’re stuck and they offer advice, just do the complete opposite.

5 Likes

I love this! When I win the lottery I will have myself a light buckskin warmblood and tell everyone it’s my Siamese horse. Heehee. Maybe a Bashkir Curly too and I’ll call it my Selkirk Rex horse. Oh, also a dark palomino who will be my Abyssinian horse. I wonder how many cat breeds there are that could be translated to horse colours?

14 Likes

I kind of get this - several years ago I was training a 4-year old half-draft, half-Arab gelding. That horse was talented, but he had two things I absolutely couldn’t stand: the first was the spooking, the second was the total brain shut-down. Not like young horses blink out, or get confused - it was just that he’d be fine one second, and totally brainless the next.

But the spooking - it was done in slow-motion. In steps.

Slooowly cock the head to the side.

Widen the eyes.

The falter.

The pause.

The sloooow gathering up . . . and by the time he got there, I’d already planted my butt in the saddle and applied the whip to send him forward. It was both annoying and funny. That brainless check-out thing, though - I never did get him over that, and neither did the next two trainers. It took about three years and a Grand Prix rider to get him over that, more or less. Literally, you’d be riding a horse one second, and the next, nobody’s home. No amount of half-halts, serpentines, cavaletti, or anything else worked - there was a short in his brain somewhere, I’m sure of it. My riding instructor used to get so mad at me for not keeping him in work - until she finally got on him one day. Then, she understood.

9 Likes

You could get a zebra and call it a tabby.

12 Likes

The trainer that told about bigger and smaller horses was one of those that trained and was showing Impressive horses when those first came on the horse world, before anyone knew about HYPP.
I always wondered if there was some that had HYPP episodes, light enough that they were still standing, but bad enough to have serious mental quirks related to that.

We had a few of those Impressive horses, even later when tested N/N, some were brainless as you describe and no, we didn’t keep them, someone else always fell for how beautiful they were and were willing to try, but no one could get them over that “no one is home” quirk.
That trainer said, if you can get them past 6 without them killing themselves or you, most would settle nicely.
We have come a long way now, have we.

2 Likes

My horse has his raincoat, his jacket, his parka, and his snow suit.

My dog has a bathrobe. (Apparently this is a thing for working dogs across the pond- it is called a “Drying Coat.”) She reclines on her chaise, dressed in her robe.

“Pajamas” is just so charming.

13 Likes

Doing up my horse’s legs last night I thought of this thread, 'She could have just told me she wanted to wear her socks this winter instead of going to the trouble of injuring herself so I’d have to dress her to her satisfaction."

Also - halter = hat, Sleazy/Slinky/etc=Green Hornet Costume or catsuit.

5 Likes

Does this work on long haired dogs? Inquiring minds want to know…

Yes! My dog is a Finnish Lapphund- a double-coated, long-haired arctic breed. When she gets properly wet she is a 6-towel dog and then she still drips on the couch. Now, I towel her off to remove excess water, dry her head and legs properly, and bundle her into her bathrobe. The robe wicks moisture and she’s dry in 20 minutes, and during that 20 minutes, the couch is preserved.

Hers is from Ruff and Tumble Drying Coats.

8 Likes

Well then!!