Unlimited access >

"The Horsey Set Enjoys Puking, Diet Pills, and Diuretics"...

So proclaims the latest cover of JANE magazine. I just swiped the magazine from my roommate so I haven’t read the article yet, but judging from the captions and bolded sections, it gives the impression that the majority (it includes excpetions the the “rule”) of equestriennes are involved in swaping purging tips in the tack room.

I’ll admit - I’m totally naieve on this kind of thing. Is this an accurate judge of riders (not in general, but of a significant set of them) etc? Basically, I’m just shocked to see it mentioned in a regular publication like JANE… thanks -

Swift’s Injuries: 4 Major, 21 Minor, 9 XRays. Injuries to rider: 6.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jr*:
the thing is I really am overweight. I hate it and it’s not good for me, but it’s an inherent part of the A-circuit jr. set. This is sad, but honestly, the first thing I though when I read that blurb on their website was “God, i WISH i was the skinniest girl in the barn”. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First of all, nicely put. Second of all - boy can I relate! While i’m not extremely overweight, I sure am no size 26 TS. The truth of the matter is that I never will be. Neither of my parents are sticks, and i’m “big boned” - or atleast I like to keep telling myself that. But I have realized that eating 1, 6 or no boles of rice will change that. Instead of stopping eating, it’s better to excercise and eat healthy. Eat smaller portions of healthier food, but always have food in your stomach every 4 hours. You’d be amazed at how fast that weight can come off. It’s not something magical - it’s like being an effective rider - you have to WORK for it. WHile I will always wish I was the skinniest girl in the barn, or even a size 28 TS, it won’t happen and it’s nothing i’m going to kill myself over. My horse is more important than my weight any day.

Hey Delighted, my interest has been peaked, could you send me a copy of those “quotes”?-- sydney781@yahoo.com

Thanks!

** Ashley and a big fannie named Annie **

Could I have a copy of the article too? Jo_at_COTH@hotmail.com. TIA.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Delighted:
Email me and I’ll get a copy of it to you? I don’t think I can post it, but I can probably email copious amounts of “quotes” to you if you want.

-Another poor college student looking for something to do tonight instead of studying

And, ETBW - Why, why, WHY can’t I show in Virginia?! Argh - down here we have Cheez-its and lukewarm Mt Dew on a good day!

Swift’s Injuries: 4 Major, 21 Minor, 9 XRays. Injuries to rider: 6.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please E-mail a copy to webmaster@catchride.com

Thanks!

http://www.catchride.com

Please send me the article too at jenaddis27@hotmail.com

can you fit into 26’s. I’m about 5’3" and weigh around 100-105 pounds and wear a 26! Can I not read or did you really say you were 5’7", 130-145 pounds and wear a 26!

~Rachel~

I have read this article and plan on writing a very long letter to the editor.

I was amazed at the incorrect information and the exagerations.

Yes we all know GM has issues with weight, but I truly cannot imagine his saying what he is quoted as saying. Additionally, why did they only present comments from a few? It gives people the impression that they entire industry is that way.

When compared to other sports and the same school age kids in general, we are not any more affected than they are and probably are less so.

Most of the drs I have spoken to have said that being involved in a sport makes a person less likely not more likely to have an eating disorder.

To play a sport, especially riding, you need to be fit and healthy. Yes those that have weight problems may have to diet, but imagine if you didn’t ride? Would you not be dieting then?

And yes from the articles slant and sources, it is obvious that they have an “in” on the bb.

I may not always win, but I will always try to win.

Gifty, I understand your feeling that the cover blurb certainly did give the impression that all, or the majority, of riders are anorexic or bulimic, and that the article may have given that impression to a casual reader.

They did, however, include several photos of women who they specifically said do not have eating disorders. (One caption reads, “These women pictured do not have eating disorders – they’re just demonstrating a girl’s love for horses and the importance of not passing out for lack of food [referencing an over fence photo].”)

They also included a statement from a therapist that the horse show world does not breed eating disorders, but that since showing costs a far amount of money and eating disorders are more often found in affluent groups, certain of the young women from affluent families who participate in showing may be predisposed to eating disorders.

On the incorrect facts, there were lots of quotes from various people about their personal experiences and opinions, but I can’t see those as misstatements of fact. The one I did notice was the statement that “The getup is not only expensive, about $350 to buy a new set of jacket, pants, boots and chaps, but also tight.” I guess we’d like to be able to get all that stuff new for only $350! What were the other incorrect fact statements that you found?

I haven’t noticed it a bit, certianly not around my delectable feasts!

Saturday, CDCTA schooling show menu:

Chicken salad sandwiches
Homemade ham biscuits with cranberry honey mustard
Crab mini quiches
Shrimp mini quiches
Vegetable crudite w/sour cream/roasted garlic blue cheese dip
Pecan shortbread cookies
Shrimp cocktail
pretzels
potato chips
Fruit kabobs of pineapple,strawberry,kiwi,raspberry and ripe honeydew melon (artfully displayed )
jalapeno jack cheese cubes

Take that, JANE!

My friend knew I was addicted to the COTH BB, so she sent me a copy of the article. I had the same impression that Portia did. I never saw the front page blurb, only the article itself, and I thought it was very well written.

CTT, I was thinking about you when I read about “Shelly” because I remember the things you posted a long time ago. I was wondering if that was you.

Can I legally quote the magazine on here? Hope so - if not, apologies.

George Morris is quoted in a paragraph that reads:

George Morris…is also known for being shockingly open with riders about how he feels about weight. One of his mottoes is, “The best exercise a rider can get is to push away from the dinner table.”…“You see these overfed, over-self-indulged girls and ladies,” he says, enunciating each word, “Their riding coats are tight and bulging a little through the seams. They are galloping around on top of the saddle. It makes them top-heavy, like a cork on top of a wave. They hate me, they don’t want to hear the truth.”

George, a former judge, says he would “absolutely” take points from the heavier rider if two people were equally skilled in competition. … Later, George tells me, “I hope you don’t water down my quotes like you people do, soften it up and whitewash it…”

Well, guess Jane doesn’t have too much of an effect. I read the article, posted about it, sat and wondered if my show coat still fits, then went off and had Chick-Fil-A for dinner. Ah well!

Swift’s Injuries: 4 Major, 21 Minor, 9 XRays. Injuries to rider: 6.

Jane magically appeared in my mailbox a year and a half ago after I moved from one state to another (so much for not getting any junk mail for a while!), and continues to appear every month, and I have never paid a penny for it. I really don’t care for the magazine, but usually find an amusing article to read.

First, my personal views:

I am an overweight person and an overweight rider, who has been through two episodes of eating disorders, but never for the purpose of looking better on a horse (which makes sense, as I don’t show). I have ridden horses since I was nine (I was a fat kid, too), and you know what? When I was feeling the worst about myself, feeling that people didn’t like me and my family was disappointed and embarrassed by me because I wasn’t thin, the one solace that I had was that the horse didn’t care. What I’ve found as a young adult is that most horses I’ve ridden have a harder time with a lighter rider who is unbalanced or whose seat is dependent on their hands than a heavier rider who is balanced with a secure, independent seat, and light hand. If I seriously wanted to show, yes, I would need to lose weight. No argument there. If I just want to ride for fun, perhaps go to the occasional show, I’m not going to kill myself to get into smaller breeches.

Now my response to the article:

I read the “horsey set” article with interest and a relatively open mind. I’m a person who rides for personal pleasure, is closely involved with competitive dressage, and has a best friend who’s an eventer. I composed a long letter (which I have yet to send) to Jane, presenting the other side of the story: how in dressage, the movement that the horse performs is what is judged, not the rider; how in jumpers it doesn’t matter what you look like as long as you can go clean (and then clean and fast); that any person without caloric reserves would pass out on a foxhunt; how in endurance riding there are actually minimum weight requirements; that eventers have to have the strength and stamina to get around a cross country course, and so on and so forth. Maybe I’ll still send it. I’m surprised nobody here has mentioned Frankie Chesler, a very successful rider who is sponsored by and is a model for 1824 (for those of you wearing 26s or 28s, you’ve probably never shopped through this catalog ). Anyway, I suppose what my point is is that the need to be thin does seem to pervade some equestrian disciplines, but certainly not all. I wish that the article would have reported on some of the other disciplines, even if it was along the lines of “In dressage you can have a fat butt and big boobs and still succeed (even though those white breeches make you look bigger than you are.)”

Just my $0.02

Jr
I took “the sh!t” as the “yay yay cheerleading mini-skirt wearing BRING IT ON the sh!t, like, the bomb or the best” as well. JANE mag was trying to be the ever-so-on top of things magazine it tries to be.

~~Erin B~~
Have you hugged your horse today?

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Everythingbutwings:
I haven’t noticed it a bit, certianly not around my delectable feasts!

Crab mini quiches
Shrimp mini quiches
Vegetable crudite w/sour cream/roasted garlic blue cheese dip
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ETBW, we need recipes!!! All in the interest of good health, of course!

I’m gong to check out this article, and I mean really check it out. What I’ve heard so far on this thread uttelry disgusts me. If GM said these things, given what we know now about eating disorders and body self image then I am equally (again), disgusted with him. And that is surely a shame because I think that he is a teacher whose legacy extends to the very roots of hunter/jumperdom in our country. I WONDER WHAT GORDON WRIGHT WOULD THINK OF HIS VIEWS OF THIS???
Personally I suspect he would be ashamed. And if Goerge really wants to wonder where we were a few decades ago when our USA team was knocking the socks off of everyone take a look at Melanie Smith (who was no one’s idea of Kate Moss) or Katie Monhahan, not exactly anorectic either. Yeah the the winners of the Medal/Maclay final may have been barfing in the bathrooms at the Garden but the girls who got the job done in the GRAND PRIX had some meat on their bones!!! makes me want to scream.

Oh, go ahead and raise that schooling fence a little higher, use a metal pole for the top rail, it’ll teach your horse to be more careful when he nicks it. Of course it MAY be the last thing he ever does, poor bugger, gee, he was nice horse, just didn’t learn his lesson… DOA

[This message was edited by heelsdown on Sep. 11, 2001 at 02:06 AM.]

We don’t have to binge and purge, we just get lipoed.

Actually, this is crazy and not true…of all horse sports. Maybe there are some that have certain groups that do it, but in all my years in eventing and dressage I’ve never seen it. (Hmmm…if you can only be skinny, how come the bigger sizes in breeches are often the most popular sellers??) Seems to me this magazine is a crock.

three are On-Course brand and one Harry Halls. Both are 26 long and while they are a smooth fit they are not “skintight”. I also have a couple of pairs of Harry Halls that are 28 long from before I lost about 30 lbs. But like I said, I’m a DQ: Maybe our breeches are cut more generously to soothe our fragile egos. Sort of like a, say, Armani “size 8” is more generous than an off-the-rack size 8?? G Or may TS breeches are cut a little too sparingly to convince hunter princesses they need to diet even MORE?

$350 for a jacket?? Yikes. I’ve seen 'em for that much, and shadbellies are even pricier, but I show in a jacket that’s quite nice and cost CONSIDERABLY less than $350. Heck, at most I wear it 2-3 times a month during the summer and when the temps hit the 90s, not all: How expensive does it need to be for that kind of use?

Send me a copy of this for sure! justjumpit1982@hotmail.com
I get asked all the time if I am anorexic, and it’s quite annoying. I have a very high metabolism, and I eat every 5 minutes. I like to invite people over for dinner who think I throw up my food, to watch me eat enough food for 3 people. I have very thin arms, and my bones poke out in front of my shoulders like a models, but then I have the ghetto booty! Argh, why can’t people accept others for who they are and not what they look like?

~Courtney~

Portia, I agree with you!

It seems like there is a lot of jumping to conclusions about this article and it makes me wonder if all of the people who are sounding outraged read the article.

Really, it is time for people to become aware of this problem within our industry and our sport.

I just read the weight issue threads and I was appalled by the posts that were there.

Having participated in horse shows for many years, and not having an eating disorder, I was not insulted by the article at all. If it helps one person to identify their eating disorder or to call out for help then its great.

I do think that GM is getting a lot of heat that he does not neccessarily deserve, as he seems to want people to be healthy, and fit, more than just thin. We tend to read something or hear something and because of human nature jump to the conclusion that the speaker means something that he/she doesnt. It does seem to me that he is a bit mislead to think that none of the riders that have ridden with him had eating disorders, because you just have to look at the show ring in west palm beach and you can tell that there are a couple of grand prix riders that definatly have a problem, and I thought that most of the grand prix riders rode with him at least once in their life.

It occurs to me that maybe because he is a man, he doesnt realize just how sensitive teenage women can be. I mean, if he told me to lose some weight, I would probably starve myself half to death to please him. Maybe he doesnt realize that he has that effect on people. Besides which, I have noticed that the teenage boys that hang out at our barn are really kind of lazy and they dont go out of their way to please anyone, even the people that they like, and the teenage girls will do almost anything to win, look good, be popular, and ride like their idol (whoever is current in the horse world), where the guys are all like, if you dont like it who cares.

GM is a guy, so even if he is as meticulous as I hear he is, maybe he doesnt realize that girls are different in this way. What he percieves as weakness (I hear he thinks girls are spastic) is just an inordinate need to please and gain approval (perhaps a weakness in its own right).