Unlimited access >

the most important WEG discussion topic: WHAT TO WEAR?!

I’ve talked to my AirBnB host and she says its been hot…and I’ve looked at the 10 day forecast and there is a 30%-50% chance of rain next week? Here’s the most important question: what to wear??? what to take on my itty bitty carryon? so far I have my ankle length waterproof boots, my rain jacket, t-shirts, and a couple of pairs of jeans? Dressage starts at ZERO DARK THIRTY, so will it be cold in the mornings? I’ve got my clear football game bag ready to go, and I’ve dusted off the small tube of sunscreen. Should I pack my flask? I may have to get the disposable flasks (yes, that’s a legit question) cuz I haven’t seen if there is liquor there. Sorry, I am a born and bred Louisiana girl, and for any event I always ask where the bar is! :lol:

I was wondering the same thing. If I pack my waterproof barn boots, it will never rain, and if I don’t, then its 100 percent chance of rain lol. I just don’t know how hot or humid it will be. They say its a little cooler there because of the mountains, but just don’t know. I am bringing a raincoat, but are jeans going to be too hot ? Anybody live around there?

My plan right now is to bring a mix of lighter, breathable layers because mountains or not, it’s still the south and it’s been HOT on the East Coast these last weeks. Last time I visited the Tryon area in the warmer months, I melted.

I’m thinking zip-up, IceFil sun shirts for the longest days in the heat (when sunscreen space is at a premium), a light jacket for the mornings, a packable rain coat for the “just in case” rain, lightweight slacks, and maybe a breezy skirt or shorts if it’s over-the-top humid and miserable. Probably won’t pack more than one pair of jeans because heat / humidity + jeans = suffering. Some nicer outfits with appropriate shoes for the big days and dinners. Sneakers for heavy walking days and weather shoes for nasty field days or if it rains. Hats.

Of course, it’s a crapshoot no matter what I pack. The weather always knows what I left at home, lol.

Not sure if you can get a flask past security with the 1 sealed bottle water rule, but if you’re successful, report back!

I live just a couple hours from Tryon, similar weather patterns here. Most likely it will be bit breezy, possibly even chilly in the early mornings. We’ve had a few “early fall” mornings already. Then hot as hell in the afternoon with the chance of a severe thunderstorm popping up out of nowhere. Followed by high humidity till later in the evening. Basically, think about attending the event formally known as Rolex. I’m planning on bringing a waterproof lightweight jacket and light weight long sleeve exercise top, wearing breathable leggings, sleeveless shirt and expect to add/remove layers throughout the day. Comfortable shoes as I plan to be walking quite a bit. Also going to pack extra shoes in case mine don’t dry over night.

Oh and those cheap little pocket rain ponchos. Super useful, can sit on them if the grass is wet, protect purchases etc.

I doubt the are going to be body searching us, so I’d put the flask in my jacket pocket and wear it in. I’m going to do that with snacks. I eat ALL the time and there is no way I’m standing in endless lines every time I need a snack

2 Likes

when it comes to Tryon, historically speaking, it’s gonna rain more often than not (a friend of mine grew up there and thinks there is a giant rain cloud attracting magnet underneath that valley)… and it’s been hot (but the weather finally broke towards fall so the early mornings aren’t that bad, when the humidity takes a break). But let’s put that into perspective. You are in Louisiana. You might want to bring a jacket. :smiley:

I’m just packing ALL THE THINGS and going from there. Also disposable flasks with alcohol you won’t cry over if it is tossed can never really be a bad idea, can it?

I bought a decent poncho that zips up into a pouch in case of rain since you’re not allowed to bring an umbrella.

I’m going to be wearing comfortable capris, nice walking shoes and breathable shirts. Basically I’m dressing like I’ll be going for an easy hike in high humidity with a chance of rain.

Coming from the west coast (land of minimal humidity and extremely high real estate prices - see a connection here, anyone, lol?) I’m bringing my lightweight hiking pants, good walking shoes (Keens), several short and long sleeved tee shirts, a lightweight nylon fiberfill vest that stuffs into its own little tube (thank you Costco, $14.99) and my hiking rain jacket/shell with a hood. I will bring my great sunhat (Aussie outback-style) for sun protection. I am also bringing some dressy pants/blouses for evenings out.

I am so not looking forward to heat and humidity. I have a very narrow comfort range and that is usually 65-74 degrees. Deviations from comfort zone will not be welcome…

Oh, and no shorts whatsoever as these legs haven’t seen the light of day in over twenty years, and I certainly don’t want to spook the horses.

Southern natives - any other thoughts or recommendations?

1 Like

The town of Tryon is a bit up the mountain, but TIEC isn’t. For the most realistic WEG forecast look at Columbus, NC. The lows at night are mid to upper 60’s and highs in the mid-80’s for the next week.

1 Like

The weather has been unusual this year in the upstate of SC/western NC. We went straight from winter to summer (40’s one week and 90 the next) and it looks like we are going to be going from summer straight into winter. It was 93 today in the Greenville, SC area (where most of the flown in horses are arriving). It has been in the 70’s in the morning but heats up real quickly from there and that causes some wicked pop-up storms in the late afternoon and when I say pop-up I mean bright and sunny one minute and wind/downpours/thunder/lightening if you blink. If you can comfortably wear your waterproof footwear all day that is what I would go for along with a rain poncho of some sort (umbrella’s are not allowed), light shirt (polo type) and light jeans/khaki’s/capris. I would not bring a flask as I know I read in the “spectator rules” that alcohol was not allowed and I can not find it now.

TIEC is down in a bowl sort of so it is usually hotter there than the surrounding area.There is little breeze where the dressage/ jumping stafium is.It almost always rains in the afternoon and yes it is humid.We have shown here in Sept and it is usually hot.I live in upper east Tn mountains and it has been a hot summer.So plan for heat .I am taking several sun shirts/ ice fill and capris to sit out side plus a rain poncho.There are very few areas to get out of the weather if it rains.

Rain poncho in my tiny non-clear-plastic purse, shorts, t-shirt, long-sleeved Columbia fishing shirt, baseball cap, and sturdy, comfortable walking shoes. Also in my tiny purse, lots of money. :slight_smile:

If you have comfortable rubber boots that you can do a lot of walking in, there will be times when you wish you had them on, but OTOH, my rubber boots are pretty hot, so it’s really a question of which you hate more: feet wet from rain/wet grass or feet wet from sweating in your boots…

I’m not that far east of Tryon and it’s been hot, hot, hot here. In the early morning, I walk the dog in a fleece vest over a short sleeved T-shirt, but I shed the vest very quickly.

I live in Asheville and it’s been hot and humid. I’m sweating doing the barn work @ 8am. I usually don’t wear shorts that much because of the shockingly white legs but this year I simply don’t care and figure that people can look away!

I’m a few hours east at the beach but it’s still hot here. Currently at 83 outside at 9:30am. I’m planning on bringing shorts, 1 pair of capri type jeans for night stuff. If you’re sitting down watching it may not be too bad to be wearing pants but it may also just be oppressive with the humidity. I’m also about 7 months pregnant so I’m also planning on bringing y friction block stick and desitin for leg rubbing on cross country day, lol.

I’m wearing a long sleeve sun shirt with capri length yoga leggings, chacos, baseball cap, loads of sunscreen, and sunglasses.

I’m anticipating pouring sweat and baking from 11-3, getting soaked by a 3 PM shower, and then being wet and muggy 3:30-6:30. Long sleeves are easier than multiple applications of sunblock and prevent the skin baking feeling and wearing totally synthetic should help with wick moisture like sweat and rain.

I’m also tossing a rain jacket in my bag along with a trash bag so that if a storm pops up I can put my entire bag inside of a garbage bag so my phone and other items stay dry.

The garbage bag (smaller size) is a great idea! We have a second home about 10 minutes from TIEC and yes, it does get humid. Mornings are usually a little cooler, but count on humidity and possible rain in the afternoon. I am packing a lightweight rain jacket and a sun hat. Ice-fill long sleeve shirts are a great idea, I practically live in them. Jeans will get hot and sticky. Also, as far as attire for going out in the evenings, you will find that the Tryon area is quite informal. Capris and a cute shirt or a sundress and a lightweight sweater is all you will need.

It’s hotter than Hell’s back door here at the moment. And it’s still humid. Leave the puffy vest at home. You won’t need it. But everything else on your list should be fine.

Have fun and enjoy my native state!!

Not going to this WEG, but based on the KY WEG, the Event Formerly Known as Rolex, and a recent trip to hunter derby finals at the KY horse park…

Lightweight pants like these are more useful than jeans. Cooler, dry faster (both if you get rained on and if you need to wash), and lighter and take up less room in luggage.

Sunshirts, for all of the above reasons.

I’ve worn waterproof hiking shoes or this sort of thing if it’s going to rain and/or I need to walk around a lot.

Large garbage bag. You can use it to protect your stuff. You can put it on the ground and sit on it to eat lunch. You can put it on a wet seat before you sit down. You can wear it as a poncho if you cut a hole in it. The possibilities are endless.

I spent the afternoon volunteering as security on vendor row. I can tell you, as a Native North Carolinian who lives about an hour and a half east of there, it was hot! And dusty! The constitruction traffic was everywhere and so was the dust. The forecast predicts rain, so who knows. Wear good comfortable walking shoes. And a hat!