Unlimited access >

The Pentosan price thread: what are you currently paying?

Where do you get your Pentosan, and how much do you pay?

I know this has been asked before, but I couldn’t find anything recent. Since there seems to be wide variation in prices (and even Wedgewood sales!), perhaps we could keep this going as a reference thread.

I purchased my last 30mL vial of Wedgewood Pentosan (250mg/mL) directly from the vet, for $150. She said she would be willing to write a prescription for my next vial, so I would like to see which pharmacy has the best price. TIA!:slight_smile:

If I buy Pentosan through my vet it’s $200 and I believe his comes from Wycliffe. He will not write me a script as PA law does not say he has to.

I have gotten my last two 50ml bottles of Pentosan Gold from Horsemedsonline for $128 plus shipping and have been very happy with it.

I last paid $180 for 100ml from Wedgewood but it has been a while so I don’t know for sure that is still an accurate price.

I paid $96 for a 30ml bottle from Wedgewood; they ran out of 50ml which is usually $109. I’ve always gotten consistent pricing and great service and communication from Wedgewood. My question is does the Pentosan actually work? Jury is still out for me…

Try Farmvet. Love the stuff. It works on my guy where Legend and Adequan did not. It depends on the horse…

[QUOTE=Absolut Equestrian;8278762]

I purchased my last 30mL vial of Wedgewood Pentosan (250mg/mL) directly from the vet, for $150. [/QUOTE]

That is the same that my vet charges as well, from Wedgewood.

I just ordered a 50 mL bottle of Pentosan from HorsePreRace.com With shipping, the total was $136.52 This is my first time trying them but I’ve had many other people use them with success. It definately is WAY cheaper so I thought I would try it this time around.

Do any of these outlets sell it without a script?

Horse PreRace sells without a script.

I paid $160 through my vet, it came from Wedgewood. They have been reluctant to give me a script, but I am going to have to push the issue this visit.

It has done miracles for my gelding. I’m very pleased with how it works for him.

My vet had not used it before, but was willing to give it a try. He has seen how well my horse responded, and has recommended it for other clients. I believe my vet feels that it is an option that’s worth trying, though, with ALL medications YMMV.

[QUOTE=Hermein;8279265]
Do any of these outlets sell it without a script?[/QUOTE]

I just looked at horsemedsonline (from BoyleHeightsKid’s post) and as far as I could tell, up to the point of entering my CC info, they don’t need one either.

I think Horsemedsonline and Horseprerace are the same or related somehow. I was ordering from HPR one time and they had a product that said “to order click here” and it took me to the HMO site. The next day the link was gone. Kinda weird.

My vet has told me that Pentosan’s shelf life is only about 60 days (per the Pentosan rep he spoke with) and after that, the % of Pentosan in the bottle decreases very rapidly. They’ve tested it repeatedly and only recommend buying the big bottle if you’re doing a whole barn. So I don’t buy the big bottles anymore unless I’m doing the one shot every four days loading series. I only have one horse so the big bottle lasts too long and I don’t want to be injecting nothing.

[QUOTE=NurseHorsey;8279412]
I just looked at horsemedsonline (from BoyleHeightsKid’s post) and as far as I could tell, up to the point of entering my CC info, they don’t need one either.[/QUOTE]
No they do not and they ship super fast too… Packaging is always nice. It’s $70 cheaper than my vet WITH the glucosamine.

I also believe HPR and HMOL are either related or are the same company.

My vet said the shelf life of Pentosan is 6 MONTHS. Your vet said 60 DAYS. That is a big discrepancy. Has anyone else been given information about the shelf life of Pentosan? This stuff is too expensive to waste, and we aren’t doing our horses any good by injecting medication that has lost its effectiveness.

I go by the expiration date on the bottle and store it as directed. I’ve been paying $109 with shipping for a 50 ml bottle from Wedgewood. I give it 2-3 times a month for two horses so I go through it quickly.

My prescription expired so I.checked the price from CSU this week and it is $312 for four single dose vials. Everything else there is so reasonably priced so that really surprised me.

Yep I told him the bottles have a 6 MONTH expiration on them. He asked the Pentosan guy about that and he said that is how long they can detect Pentosan in the bottle - not how long it’s at full strength. I don’t remember the exact numbers, but something like after 60 days it’s at 70% strength, 90 days less than 50% and just down from there.

This was from a guy who works for the company in Australia, not a sales rep and not a compounder, so I would think he knows more about it than a vet or someone else. I was very dismayed to find this out since the price is so much cheaper for the big bottle. And honestly - I definitely noticed a difference in effectiveness from the first dose to the last. So if this is true, I wouldn’t be surprised.

I just buy the single dose bottles now if I’m doing the 1x/month routine, and the big bottle only when I’m doing the loading series.

So this brings up an interesting question…those of you that use Pentosan regularly, how do you dose it.

1. 6ml 1x a week for 4 weeks, then 1x a month?

2. 6ml every 4 days for 7 injections, then 1x a month?

3. 6ml every 4 days for 7 injections, then as needed?

4. 6ml every day for 7 days and then as needed?

I have tried it a few ways…2,3, and 4 to be exact…I’m on #4 now (just finished dosing a week ago). This was the new way my vet wanted me to do the injection. He felt like it was similar to an IA injection in that you got LOTS of the medication into the system to calm down the inflammation.

Style #3 lasted for 3 1/2 to 4 months…although this was during our less stressful time of riding, so I’m not sure if it is a very good experiment.:winkgrin:

If Style #4 lasts longer…it will be more cost effective in the long run. If the product doesn’t last very long in larger bottles, then I think Style #3 is more cost effective than #2.

Just me over here counting my pennies!

I just paid $109 plus shipping for a 50ml bottle from Wedgewood.

The pentosan rep for Australia would be talking about the real stuff. In US, we have the compounded version (much cheaper). Can you really compare the shelf life? (I don’t know…) I always go by the expiration date on the Wedgewood bottle. Going with the once a week injection for 4 weeks and then one or more times each month as needed, I always notice a positive response after the 3rd shot. I have maintained that with 2 shots a month.

Thanks for the replies everyone, very helpful! :yes:

Today, I came across a somewhat local compounding pharmacy (Boothwyn) that will provide a 50mL bottle at $110 shipped. I spoke with a pharmacist there to ask about the shelf life, and she said that it was 3 months.

[QUOTE=jawa;8279878]
So this brings up an interesting question…those of you that use Pentosan regularly, how do you dose it.

I have tried it a few ways…2,3, and 4 to be exact…I’m on #4 now (just finished dosing a week ago). This was the new way my vet wanted me to do the injection. He felt like it was similar to an IA injection in that you got LOTS of the medication into the system to calm down the inflammation.

Style #3 lasted for 3 1/2 to 4 months…although this was during our less stressful time of riding, so I’m not sure if it is a very good experiment.:winkgrin:

If Style #4 lasts longer…it will be more cost effective in the long run. If the product doesn’t last very long in larger bottles, then I think Style #3 is more cost effective than #2.

Just me over here counting my pennies![/QUOTE]

I’ve done #1 and 2 and seems like #2 works better.

[QUOTE=jawa;8279878]

Just me over here counting my pennies![/QUOTE]

Last summer I used it for my gelding, did the following:

1 dose every 7 days, for 4 weeks, so 4 Saturday’s in a row - then every 4 weeks after that.

A different vet recommended this schedule:

1 dose every 5 days for 6 weeks, and then every 3 weeks after that

I haven’t tried this schedule yet as this summer he hasn’t seemed to need it yet.

I did notice a huge difference when I did the 1 every 7 days for 4 weeks, then monthly after that. About the 3rd week into the monthly dosing, I could tell he was coming up on needing another injection. His big thing was cross cantering on the lunge.