Unlimited access >

The Ultimate Guide to Hunter Hair for Short Locks: Calling Lord Helpus!

Okay, here it is! I have actually documented the process by which I tame my short hairs into Hunter Princess hair. Watch and learn:

The overall guide:

The tools of the trade

See, I really do have short hair!

In the beginning, there was pantyhose…and it was GOOD!

Boy scout knot-tying class

Really, I am not an 80’s throwback…

You put the left hairs in, you put the left hairs out…sing along!

Egads almighty. Who’s that girl?

Ah, the lovely Ruth Buzzy look! How fashionable!

Really, this isn’t macrame

A little mosquito netting, anyone?

Look away, Reynard Ridge–the hunt cap is there for demonstration purposes only!

I’m…too sexy for my hat…

There she is…Miss Hunter Princess…

Okay, Pam, is it any clearer now? I’ll happily give you private lessons in return for George.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-title”>quote:</div><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-content”>Originally posted by 2Dogs:
Dang, that sure is a lot of work for a short hair thing and as a doctor, I am with LH - if I saw that doo-rag thingy on the head of any patient of mine in the ER, you betcha, off to the next office over for a psych check up </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, it just looks like a headband. Now, if you saw someone wearing the panty part on their head (complete with the little white crotch pad), the I could definitely see a psych evaluation in the orders!

Once you get this little manuever down, it takes about two seconds longer than if you had long hair. I definitely need a mirror to make sure I’ve gotten all the little wispies under control, but I can put up my hair lightening fast now.

Oh, and about the hose color for lighter colored hair…I contemplated going blonde for the summer, but then was stricken by the thought that I wouldn’t be able to find hose to match. Ah, vanity!

Thank you, thank you (bow). Photog credits go to Horsey Nurse, who had a little, um, difficulty working the camera at first, but proved a quick study.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-title”>quote:</div><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-content”>Originally posted by Madeline:
This IS a joke, right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course it is…sure, of course it is

This IS a joke, right?

Boy. Oh my.

How, pray tell, does one figure out that would work?

But, it looks like hair. Amazing. Hats off… uhhh, maybe not…

hmm i gotta try this, i have BARELY shoulder length locks that are thick as heck and never stay back under ANYTHING. so maybe this will work…we’ll find out next saturday at Mr. Goodwrench’s first show! (molly has to sit this one out)

LHU, your hair looks loverly! (and so does George, hes adorable!)

Well, I have blonde shoulder length hair with short layers and after seeing how easy SMS put her hair up with the pantyhose I am going to give it a try! I hate putting my hair up and usually SMS has to help me with my hunter hair because I suck at it. This way I can even make my hair color go best with whatever I am wearing!

I think that a very sheer light tan would look good or maybe even nude. I know that all the people at the department store are going to think I am nuts as I match their sample hose colors to my hair in the mirror!

Hooray for whoever thought of this idea originally!

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-title”>quote:</div><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-content”>Originally posted by Lord Helpus:
I dunno SMS, I think I may have to grow my hair out and look funny for 97% of the time just so I can look good for that 3% of my life when I have my GPA on in public.

I have my pride… </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am attempting this option. Step one was to bring the hat, hairnet, etc, into the salon and explain the issue to the guy that cuts my hair. He agreed that the hair needed to be longer

BTW, hat in salon produced no funny looks. Perhaps b/c it was two days before Halloween in W. Hollywood?

Dang, that sure is a lot of work for a short hair thing and as a doctor, I am with LH - if I saw that doo-rag thingy on the head of any patient of mine in the ER, you betcha, off to the next office over for a psych check up
But hey, since when did hair get you a blue ribbon? Find those 8 jumps and I challenge anyone to dreadlocks!

I support that nomination. Thanks so much SMS for going to the trouble of preparing these photos. The result looks great.

Excellent. After several years of not understanding the wrap-the-pantyhose-around-the-head-hairnet-equals-perfect-HP-hair, I finally get it. Thanks. My life will never be the same.

LordHelpus- My goodness no! I would NEVER mock those brave people with enough resolve to spend the time on their hair to make it look so… real

I myself am of the lazy variety who keep their hair long for the sake of ease.

I meant what I said- I bow down to those hunter princesses with short hair

Bravo Bravo Bravo - Thanks a million! I will follow your step by step in my next show - my hair looked horrible in my last show!

So what do you do if you have shoulder length hair, but it doesn’t cover your ears? It is VERY fine to start with and to make matters worse… it is VERY layered!!!

I am never cutting my hair! Putting it in a pony tail and flipping it up under my hat is work enough. Cudos to those that do this every time you show! And if your classes are spaced apart, can you fit a ball cap over it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-title”>quote:</div><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-content”>Originally posted by USETSomeday:
WoW

hats off to those of you with short hunter hair!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mock us? Cruel, I say, CRUEL! Just because YOU can take your hat off without looking like a refugee from Nurse Cratchett’s padded room doesn’t give you the right to rub it in… <sniff>

I dunno SMS, I think I may have to grow my hair out and look funny for 97% of the time just so I can look good for that 3% of my life when I have my GPA on in public.

I have my pride…

Wow…I always wondered how people got their hair like that when it was short!

Quick question: I event and noticed that people do their hair a bit differently. So, why do hunters cover their ears with the hairnet (and sometimes, hair)? Whenever I put a hairnet on and it covers my ears, it bugs me so I push it up over them…I guess it looks more like I am riding without a hairnet, but my hair is all contained. Is it just a look thing or is there a tradition? Enlighten me, please!

So, is it too early to nominate this thread to the “Favorites”? I think that the mystery of hunter hair has been solved and should be preserved for all eternity.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-title”>quote:</div><div class=“ip-ubbcode-quote-content”>Originally posted by ImJumpin:
Anyone with lighter blonde hair ever try this-- and if so, what color of hose do you use? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I, for one, was taught NEVER to wear suntan hose, and I am assuming that means on the head as well. I would stick to a very sheer nude perhaps? Any lighter could prove to be scary, but sheer would be key. Also, the lighter colored hairnets help keep it looking lighter.