Thinking of trying this for my Western Dressage Saddle

I like it because it is not as bulky as a Western saddle -I don’t know how to ride in those; I feel like I’m hovering over my horse -and the seat looks deep enough to enjoy hacking with it too. And it’s got English rigging -Western rigging befuddles the heck out of me. Anyone try this? I’ve heard great things about the McClellan saddle (design).

Paula

Try an Aussie saddle instead! I LOVE mine! Hmm very interesting. I really don’t know about that flap… I cross train my barrel horse with western dressage, I think I’ll just stick to my barrel saddle… It’s hard to say, each to their own! For myself, it doesn’t look comfortable even for endurance x_x

A couple of years ago I’d been thinking about a hornless Abetta because it just happened to really fit my horse, and I’m thinking I read somewhere about having to have a saddle with a horn to compete.

http://www.westerndressageassociation.org/western-dressage-rules-tests/ here’s a good link! I’m thinking about getting into it myself. Though I think cmdrcltr is right, if you’re going to be hardcore about it and want to compete you may need to get the real deal, and it ain’t gonna be cheap!

Royal King is cheap, imported crap. Everything from the hardware to the leather is sub-standard. This saddle is a copy of a Tucker, I’d get the Tucker one if you like the style.

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/tucker-endurance-saddle.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwheqgBRD5vOfR45az5AESJABy4m8-RfvD-pf8a-6XlzBCN01AGD3fmHl5D7NG0Pyi1Y8JtBoCkWDw_wcB#.VBtgKhYXJhU

Someone gave me a Royal King training saddle once, after a fender broke while they were riding. They thought I could fix it and use it since I do leatherwork. I took that POS apart and threw it away.

Honestly, that looks like a very cheap unbalanced saddle. Kinda like the equivalent of those “starter package” english saddles - where everything is just wrong

And personally, even a “real” tucker looks very bulky to me - a lot of seat and padding etc between you and the horse.

Have you looked into Wade western saddles at all? I am like you, I don’t like the bulk (and especially the very wide twist) of western saddles. BUT I like saddles with Wade trees…

I just find that they sit closer to the horse…

And I find the twist to be more narrow - and the saddle less bulky

http://jjmaxwell.com/saddle-photos/wadetrail1_medium.jpg

Vs. a tucker, which often just look a mile high off the horse’s back to me.

Thanks for the input, guys. WDAA doesn’t require a horn. Appsolute, I’ll look atthe ones you suggest because we seem to share the same requirements!

Regarding price -if they require expensive tack for WD they’re shooting themselves in the foot IMO.

Paula

If you are serious about western dressage, don’t totally discount a “traditional” western saddle. I have an english background (but mostly rode trail and endurance and took lesson from a dressage trainer), but have been riding western (ranch versatility type stuff) for the last few years. I picked up a nice used reining saddle that has very close contact.

Good to know.

Paula

There are lots of nice western saddles out there, especially used. I had a similar saddle as that one but with a more traditional fender. I sold it. Cheap leather is cheap leather. Buy used quality instead.

A good barrel saddle will put your leg under you for dressage, the way the fenders are hung makes it easy to get your leg on. A reiner, an all around, even a trail saddle will work. A roper will be heavy and the stirrups set more forward. Hated my aussie, felt trapped. Comfort was fine, but didn’t like mounting or dismounting in it from the ground.

Run away from the Royal King.

[QUOTE=paulaedwina;7766699]
Thanks for the input, guys. WDAA doesn’t require a horn. Appsolute, I’ll look atthe ones you suggest because we seem to share the same requirements!

Regarding price -if they require expensive tack for WD they’re shooting themselves in the foot IMO.

Paula[/QUOTE]

I don’t know of any discipline where the cost of your equipment is a requirement. What is a requirement is for you and your horse to perform to the best of your abilities (and if you want to compete, don’t you care about performing your best?). Cheap tack is cheap tack. Poor workmanship, poor materials, poor fit. Honestly, you are continually looking for things on the cheap, and afaict you haven’t found anything yet. Maybe instead of focusing on how you’re going to make it in the show ring, you should put money aside and get a good bundle saved up so you can buy something of quality. Your horse’s back will thank you for it.

Actually I did find a cheap AP saddle that fit me and my horse so persistence can actually pay off.

Please don’t make assumptions about my life and priorities based on brief posts on the Chronicle.

Paula

If you are going to do Western Dressage get a traditional western saddle, there are plenty out there that are reasonable and still well made, look for used also. I second the idea of getting a barrel saddle, they are light weight and you will find it much easier getting your leg under you. I have a Circle Y barrel saddle I bought over 35 yrs ago, it’s still a great saddle and has held up well.

I have a Circle Y Monarch Performance saddle, which “looks” like it sits way up off the horse’s back but in fact it’s very comfy and easy to communicate with the horse via seat and leg. It’s better to spend a little more to get a saddle that has a good tree and fits the horse well, and will last. Also, the newer saddles are MUCH lighter than the old saddles. I would buy this saddle again in a heartbeat. Puts you in a great position.

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/monarch-arena-cicle-y-.html#.VBwbjvk7u-M

You guys are chock full of information. Now I know:

That some Western saddles are closer contact than others.
That they don’t all weigh half a ton (what is THAT about?).
That the Royal King is a copy of a Tucker (there’s one on Ebay that I’m watching because of this information). I really do like that look!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tucker-Equitation-Endurance-Trail-Saddle-17-seat-wide-tree-excellent-cond-/171466357138?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ec30f992

Now as for price -reality is reality. The many thousand dollar saddles you’ve linked are really not in my range. I am sure they are awesome. I mean I get longe lessons on a Custom dressage saddle and it is diviiiiine. But truly, if I have a couple thou lying about there are many many things ahead of a saddle.

As to how serious I am about WD? I’m no more or less serious about WD than I am about traditional dressage, ranch pleasure, competitive trail, eventing, hilltopping, cross country, hacking, and trail riding. In that it looks like fun and I’d like to try it.

Paula

Keep in mind, Tucker Equitation Endurance has to accommodate your leg similarly as English saddle does.

I used to have one and it did not fit me- it did not accommodate my legs and going one seat size up was not going to solve anything- I would just drown in that saddle, ha, ha.

Also, there is original model and Gen II. A lot of people prefer original models, as Gen II is so cushioned, one can hardly feel the horse at all (I got to try it in another Tucker model). It is probably great for long trail rides though. Of course, it is also a matter of preference.

If I were you, I would probably try to find a western saddle (since you already have AP- the ride is not that much different, IMO, and you can get trail stirrups for English leathers, too).

I would not go with ranch or roping saddles- those are the heavy ones (they have to be sturdy enough to hold a cow from).

I love barrel saddles and they are typically the lightest ones- it is a race after all.

Watch out about skirts. If you horse has shorter back, most square skirts will not accommodate that! If in doubt, go for a round skirt. Don’t let people tell you, long skirt does not matter, because there is no tree. It might bother your horse eventually big time!

As for Circle Y saddles- many believe the newer ones run narrow (among others, my fitter). It is my experience also. The wide tree was not wide enough for our guy. Some models come in X-wide, so, perhaps that might work.

Finally, I would suggest, stay with American made (as baffling as tree sizes might be).

ETA: You might find a good used saddle for a reasonable price.
The new ones, the good ones, however, are pricey (even more than many good English ones). I met a lot of people on the East Coast, who thought western saddles were supposed to be cheaper than English ones (probably, because they are originally work saddles, while riding English has always been really just a wonderful past time for those, who could afford it).

Good Luck with your search! (living on the East Coast, I gave up long time ago- I have much better access to quality English saddles than western ones- new or used).

[QUOTE=paulaedwina;7767623]
You guys are chock full of information. Now I know:

That the Royal King is a copy of a Tucker (there’s one on Ebay that I’m watching because of this information). I really do like that look!

I have a Tucker Equitation Endurance and really love it; I’ve had 2 actually, a wide for my round, mutton withered mare and a regular for my current high withered KMSH. I do LD endurance and competitive trail and have never been uncomfortable in my Tuckers.

Also, that is a great price on EBay; I easily got over $900 for my wide one when I sold it.

But one thing, the Tucker Equitation Endurance (like your Ebay version) has English girth and leathers. If you’re wanting it for Western Dressage you might want to look for a Tucker Endurance Trail saddle. It has the same seat style (and still no horn) but the leathers and rigging are more Western style so might blend in better in the Western Dressage world.

Thanks for the endorsement. I like the English rigging actually. Western rigging befuddles the snot out of me. The price on Ebay today is no guarantee of the price when the bidding ends 9 days from now unfortunately. I do have one question about their saddle; is that a Western 17 or an English 17? A Western 17 would work for me -I ride in an English 18, but if it is an English 17 it won’t work. I’ll ask if the price is still decent in 9 days!

Paula

Tucker’s sizes are in western.

This might help you determining size for a Tucker:

http://www.outfitterssupply.com/tucker-saddles-choose-seat-size.asp

Tuckers are not close contact and/or suitable for dressage. They are made specifically for trails and are great for that.

I would not go that route, if I wanted to do western dressage. You might not get subtle signals through.

Some barrel or reining saddles would be much better, IMO (they tend not to be bulky at all, as lightness and/or soft communication are the key).

When I wrote, you had an AP and should just stick to it, because TEE was similar ride- well, it feels like English saddle on steroids. It kind of rides English and then again it doesn’t, because you are not that close to the horse. It is great for long hours on trails though.

Perhaps, you could look around for local saddle shops and see, if some carry Tuckers, so that you can feel for yourself.

That’s what I’m hoping -that I’ll have the chance to try them in real life.

Paula