Thinking of trying this for my Western Dressage Saddle

I have a big shouldered qh mare that I ride in a saddle with a Circle Y Flex2 tree regular width, and it fits her well. I have a 14 hand Chincoteague pony that goes in a Duett English saddle with a 38 cm tree (super wide) and a Circle Y Flex2 Wide tree, which also fits her well.

Horsesaddleshop has a template you can download to see what kind of tree tends to fit your horse well, and also a height/weight chart to chose a seat size for yourself.

I also sold several saddles via Craigslist for reasonable prices, so maybe you can find a good deal there. Good luck!

Horsesaddleshop is having a sale on Tucker and Circle Y saddles this weekend, up to 30% off on select models.

OP, you really can get a great quality used Western saddle for little money. Buying mid- or high-end used in WesternWorld is better/more possible than in EnglishWorld. Just know that they aren’t the same before you decide you can only afford bad-quality tack. It’s never satisfying…. in any discipline.

Happy saddling!

Paulaedwina, having been coping with saddles ,and saddles, students saddles, etc. I can say that most of the less expensive saddles literally get you in the end. They also get you in the pocketbook when you in desperation try to sell them…

Most used saddle stores will let you take them on trial, usually for 2 weeks. That gives you a decent amount of time to find out whether it fits you, your horse and is not going to destroy your position. I would stay away from ebay, too many tales of woe from students, and have patience. Good saddles last forever. I have an English AP that’s approximately 50 years old, and is still i use. A dressage saddle 24 years old, and still in great shape, the 50 year old has worn through the leather is spots :lol: but is still a comfortable ride.:wink: I will admit that the newest one is cushier.

You want to learn a new discipline, learning to adjust to any one different saddle, within reason, is part of it.

I too prefer my English saddle any day, but learned to be comfortable on any saddle and, really, for work that requires sitting more, a western saddle is easier on the horse’s back, distributes the weight over a larger surface and so there is less weight on any one place.

It just takes time to find which saddle fits you and your horses best, in any kind of saddle, but don’t despair, there are some out there, keep looking.

Always better to buy good quality used than lesser quality new.

My suggestion is to not buy saddles not suitable or made for the discipline you are trying. If you are wanting to do Western Dressage, get a western saddle. The rigging isn’t rocket science and nothing wrong with having a horn on the saddle. If you prefer English then do English and get a proper dressage saddle. As other’s have suggested don’t waste money on poor quality equipment, while it may be all that is in the budget at the moment, when you sit down and add up the dollars spent on several poorly made saddles that don’t fit you will find you’ve spent enough to have bought a better made/quality saddle. Besides, buying quality doesn’t mean spending a lot, there is a big market of used saddles; just buy what is appropriate to the discipline you are aiming for. FYI if you ride an 18" English dressage saddle, you will likely ride a 16" or maybe even a 15 1/5" Western saddle, they measure differently. There are roughly 3 tree sizes, semi QH bars = narrower; QH bars = medium/wide; Full QH bars = wide/extra wide. If you have a horse with a shorter back, rounded skirts will fit better. Understand that some Western saddles can weigh 30++ lbs. If you want something lighter weight stick with a barrel saddle.

I am definitely keeping my eye out for a good used saddle. As for disciplines -I ride everything, not just English, not just dressage. I belong to an Eventer/Barrel Racing barn so I have turned barrels and bent poles in my English AP saddle. I am not wedded to any one sport or discipline in any way shape or form. I was hoping a Tucker (now that I know the name of the design I like so much) would be as multi-purpose as my AP; Western Dressage, Western games, competitive trail, trail riding, hacking, etc.

I appreciate the breakdown of the sizes very much. I’m thinking Fella is Full QH bars since he rides a Wide tree about 8". Rounded skirts is good to know as well because is relatively short-backed. I’ll ask our BO/Trainer what saddle she rode him in when he was in training with her.

Paula

[QUOTE=js;7769895]
My suggestion is to not buy saddles not suitable or made for the discipline you are trying. If you are wanting to do Western Dressage, get a western saddle. The rigging isn’t rocket science and nothing wrong with having a horn on the saddle. If you prefer English then do English and get a proper dressage saddle. As other’s have suggested don’t waste money on poor quality equipment, while it may be all that is in the budget at the moment, when you sit down and add up the dollars spent on several poorly made saddles that don’t fit you will find you’ve spent enough to have bought a better made/quality saddle. Besides, buying quality doesn’t mean spending a lot, there is a big market of used saddles; just buy what is appropriate to the discipline you are aiming for. FYI if you ride an 18" English dressage saddle, you will likely ride a 16" or maybe even a 15 1/5" Western saddle, they measure differently. There are roughly 3 tree sizes, semi QH bars = narrower; QH bars = medium/wide; Full QH bars = wide/extra wide. If you have a horse with a shorter back, rounded skirts will fit better. Understand that some Western saddles can weigh 30++ lbs. If you want something lighter weight stick with a barrel saddle.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with js. Along with the $ spent on several saddles, you may also spend money on vet bills for sore back, AND have time out from riding when your horse (or you) are sore.
My Mustang is short (height and back). His dressage saddle is a 38cm, 18" seat Duett Fidelio. His western saddle is a 16’ Crates with a 26 1/2 " skirt, full qtr. bars, weighs 35lbs. I had a McCall Lady Pendelton (close contact) with a Wade tree that I loved. But, as Woodrow developed, it became too narrow in the shoulders.
Good luck - finding the right saddle is a bitch.

[QUOTE=paulaedwina;7770199]
I am definitely keeping my eye out for a good used saddle. As for disciplines -I ride everything, not just English, not just dressage. I belong to an Eventer/Barrel Racing barn so I have turned barrels and bent poles in my English AP saddle. I am not wedded to any one sport or discipline in any way shape or form. [B]I was hoping a Tucker (now that I know the name of the design I like so much) would be as multi-purpose as my AP; Western Dressage, Western games, competitive trail, trail riding, hacking, etc.

[/B]Tucker isn’t the name of a design, it is a brand. It is brand of saddles that are made for trail riding. Within the brand of Tucker saddles are various designs - some with horns, some endurance style, some with deeper seats, some with flatter seats, some with more skirting, some with less. I’m sure it would be quite comfortable for trail riding. For Western Dressage, it might not be the best choice. I have a dressage saddle that I love for dressage. For trail riding, I don’t love it. I’ve had a saddle that I loved for trail riding. For dressage, it sucked.

Typically what one would call an english all-purpose saddle are really not effective for teaching proper balanced riding and don’t do much to help one have an effective position on a horse for balanced seat riding, which is what you want if you’re interested in dressage of any sort. Can you do it? Yes, of course. Will you fight the saddle for you position? Undoubtedly. Having a saddle with a balanced seat (that encourages proper alignment vs. having your legs out in front of you), however, will serve you well no matter what discipline you choose because you will learn proper balance while riding in it. If you ever jump the big jumps, a proper jumping saddle with appropriate stirrup bar placement would be necessary. If you do barrels or roping, a saddle with an appropriate horn would be necessary. If everybody could ride effectively ride every discipline in just one or two saddles, no specialization would be needed. Since each discipline has its own idiosyncrasies, different saddle types exist.

I appreciate the breakdown of the sizes very much. I’m thinking Fella is Full QH bars since he rides a Wide tree about 8". Rounded skirts is good to know as well because is relatively short-backed. I’ll ask our BO/Trainer what saddle she rode him in when he was in training with her.

Paula[/QUOTE]

There is a lot, a lot, a lot that goes into fitting a horse for a western saddle - moreso, I’d say, than an english saddle. At least in my experience, I find fitting a western saddle so much more difficult. “QH bars” (or whatever other designation) is just a small fraction of fitting. There’s also the rock, the flare, the angle, the type of tree, the type of material, the placement of the rigging, the amount of skirting, the seat shape, the type of horn, the type of cantle, the open-ness of the seat, how the rigging is attached, how the fenders are placed, etc.

What is “a wide tree about 8”?" That really doesn’t tell you much.

Your best bet is to make a map of his back and create a 3-D cardboard shape that you can take to tack stores when looking at saddles. That would at least eliminate some confusion on what might or might not fit by just looking at it.

ANY western rigged saddle can easily be converted to english style rigging if you so desire. I switched all my western style endurance saddles to long dressage billets and use a short equalizer dressage girth.

http://hillviewfarms.com/girths.htm scroll to the bottom of this web page to find the western to english convertors. They are excellent quality, no bulk to them, made in house by American saddle makers. Hill View Farms sell all kinds of handy stuff, lots of stuff for camping, trailering, etc. Great web site to look at.

I like the cinch/girth convertors because I get less bulk under my short legs on my wide barreled Arabians. Not sure you would want to “show” with this type of rigging but for you trainers and trail riders this is a great deal and makes girthing up a snap.

http://www.actionridertack.com/p-61-equalizer-dressage-girths.aspx is my favorite girth because for my old arthritic hands this is much easier to tighten and adjust. Trail riders take note!

chicamuxen

That’s wonderful, chicamux! I had no idea you could do that!

Paula

FWIW, this is what I finally purchased.

http://protectorpad.mivamerchant.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=protectorpad&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PATIV

It was $2,300 including shipping, custom-made to fit both my unusually wide-apart pelvic bones and my short-backed Arabian. The price included all of the fittings, saddle pad and saddle pad shims. He was and is endlessly patient with all of my eleventy-thousand emails with questions.

He makes a beautiful Western Dressage saddle that I really wanted, but it was outside my budget at the time.http://protectorpad.mivamerchant.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=protectorpad&Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=SAD
He’s super god about working with your budget.

Bottom line is that you have to go with what works for you, not what worked for anyone else.

Trying to find the right saddle is like trying to find the right bra.

That’s gorgeous! LOL! You’re right with your bra comparison!

Paula

That saddle is drool worthy. I may have to investigate this further. I wonder if it would work on a more narrow horse?

Although you are not required to have a horn as per the USEF rules, a Western saddle in the rulebook is defined as one that has Western fenders.

[QUOTE=californianinkansas;7771846]
FWIW, this is what I finally purchased.

http://protectorpad.mivamerchant.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=protectorpad&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PATIV

It was $2,300 including shipping, custom-made to fit both my unusually wide-apart pelvic bones and my short-backed Arabian. The price included all of the fittings, saddle pad and saddle pad shims. He was and is endlessly patient with all of my eleventy-thousand emails with questions.

He makes a beautiful Western Dressage saddle that I really wanted, but it was outside my budget at the time.http://protectorpad.mivamerchant.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=protectorpad&Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=SAD
He’s super god about working with your budget.

Bottom line is that you have to go with what works for you, not what worked for anyone else.

Trying to find the right saddle is like trying to find the right bra.[/QUOTE]

When I was saddle shopping I was wondering about his saddles - how do you like it?

http://www.rockingrsaddlery.com/available-now/

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/all-around-rocking-r-saddle.html#.VCDBxhbgUkI

I’ve owned three Rocking Rs, all of which are models they no longer make. Very well made, balanced, good leather, and look at that price. I still have the Lady Trail I had made for Chip.

One is retired to a saddle stand in my great room, it was my Jake’s saddle and since he’s gone on in, I’m keeping it for when I see him later :wink:

[QUOTE=mrs.smith;7772298]
That saddle is drool worthy. I may have to investigate this further. I wonder if it would work on a more narrow horse?[/QUOTE]

You might want send Mr. Len an email to ask him?

He’s very good about sending detailed replies within 24 hours -and I’ve sent the poor guy lots of emails. My first email to him had eleven questions, to which he promptly replied with detailed thoughtful answers.

He’s a very nice and tactful. Mr. Len’s an older Navy veteran, so while he’s as nice as could possibly be, he tells it like it is. Every bit of advice he’s given me has been 100% spot on.

He didn’t try to get me to upgrade anything or give me the “hard sell” at all. His son owns the saddle tree company, so they can make you whatever you need.

Once you get past the (truly god-awful) formatting of his website, the information there is quite good IMO. YMMV and all that.

As below, please feel free to PM me for pics and the like. :slight_smile:

I and my princess-and-the-pea Arabian both love this saddle, as does my comadre’s oil barrel of a QH/Arab mare. If the saddle didn’t fit my gelding perfectly, he Would Let Me Know.

It is the first new saddle that I’ve ever sat in -it was much slicker than I expected it to be. I bought a can of Sit-Tite, a pair of half-chaps, and a sheepskin seat cover from Distance Depot (all of which I was going to buy anyway) which solved the problem nicely.

My saddle does not have any thigh or knee blocks/rolls at all; I come from a (non-soreing) saddleseat background, so I feel much more balanced in a saddle that doesn’t have all that. I feel balanced and secure in this saddle.

This is the first saddle that I’ve ridden in since my saddleseat days that didn’t cause me to feel like I was being torn apart at the crotch like a wishbone, or cause me to feel like the pommel was …um…er… “overly friendly.”

Even with all the fittings, it is still lighter than my comadre’s dressage saddle.

If you (or anyone else) want to PM me your email address, I can send you photos of my saddle and the saddle on my gelding or link you to my FB page.

I was very frank with Mr. Len about my budget limitations. He never made me feel like I was a second class client at all. I’d imagine if you’d ask him, he’d let you know when he heard that one of his used saddles was on the market.

I hope this helps you both!
Best Regards,
Amber

[QUOTE=katarine;7772620]
http://www.rockingrsaddlery.com/available-now/

http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/all-around-rocking-r-saddle.html#.VCDBxhbgUkI

I’ve owned three Rocking Rs, all of which are models they no longer make. Very well made, balanced, good leather, and look at that price. I still have the Lady Trail I had made for Chip.

One is retired to a saddle stand in my great room, it was my Jake’s saddle and since he’s gone on in, I’m keeping it for when I see him later ;)[/QUOTE]

Wow! Those are beautiful saddles.

[QUOTE=californianinkansas;7772753]

If you (or anyone else) want to PM me your email address, I can send you photos of my saddle and the saddle on my gelding or link you to my FB page.

I was very frank with Mr. Len about my budget limitations. He never made me feel like I was a second class client at all. I’d imagine if you’d ask him, he’d let you know when he heard that one of his used saddles was on the market.

I hope this helps you both!
Best Regards,
Amber[/QUOTE]

PM sent :wink: