Unlimited access >

Thoughts on my OTTB?

Hi! Just wanted to get some feedback on my 5 yr old ottbs movement/jump! planning on taking him to his first shows in children’s hunters and non-pros!!

He is currently starting to understand it feels better to be long and low and is getting more comfortable with the hunter life! this was his first time doing a higher course around 3’3. Currently in steel shoes so hoping when he gets aluminum he will be a little more flat kneed.

2 Likes

Really lovely horse. Great jump, great way of going—can’t believe he’s only 5! What’s his breeding and how long has he been off the track? I know you posted concerned about pinning against warmbloods, but honestly, if you find all the jumps on that one, no one’s going to give the slightest lick what breed he is. Quality is quality.

12 Likes

For some reason, I’m only getting audio on the videos. Happening on my phone (android) and here (windows with chrome)

1 Like

Videos not working on Firefox either.

I am using Chrome on a desk top computer and I can not see the videos.

Maybe @Moderator_1 might have an idea.

1 Like

The videos play fine on my iPhone, for what it’s worth.

2 Likes

He’s super super cute. Does he have a walk-canter? In these specific clips his trot is still a little short and upright, both things that will continue to change as he gets stronger. Going straight into the canter may be beneficial if he can do so without becoming tense. He has great rhythm and a really honest way of going considering the space available in the indoor.

1 Like

Grabbed my work phone, and yes. The videos play on an iPhone just fine, other than taking forever to load.

1 Like

What a lovely horse, best of luck with him OP.

Videos didn’t work at all on my laptop, using Chrome, but loaded immediately and played perfectly on my iphone 12.

1 Like

Boo Hiss. I do not have an I Phone.

The posts make him sound lovely!

1 Like

Thank you!! His last race was feb 2019. i bought him in june 2020 and he only knew basic wtc.

that’s weird! could it have been bc i uploaded vids thru my phone?

thanks so much! it seems to be working for people when they use their phone.

just in the past two weeks he has been really getting the hang of the more long snd low hunter ride. he anticipates the transitions so much so i have been working on getting him to not rush into them. he does have a walk-canter but i have not been doing it lately just due to the fact that i am working on other things

I’m so excited to be able to ride him in a big arena!!

NICE horse! Anyone knowledgeable will recognize that.
He is going to fill out a lot on the next three years. I think you found a good one, and he can be competitive in your chosen discipline.
Focus on your journey and education with him, and learn to only look at other competitors as ways to learn more.

6 Likes

Ah ha, he has wonderful old-school sport TB lines which explains a lot! So much of bringing along the young TBs is just time and strength (which is where some of your challenges lie—e.g., the shorter trot), but you can’t train a naturally good brain and a nice jump and your horse has both. Enjoy him and focus on putting in the best rounds you can. I think you’ll find that you win when you deserve to. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

My mare does the same—it’s the double-edged sword of the Thoroughbred’s willingness to work, right? When you flat him, try to mix it up: do some rides where maybe you only go walk-canter, or maybe you only walk-trot-halt the whole ride (no canter!). I realize that my mare was figuring out pretty quickly that the gig was usually “walk-trot-canter,” so now we start some rides straight into canter or trot. It’s helped a lot!

2 Likes

thanks so much! he has gotten a lot better about it

thank you!! if you don’t mind me asking, which horses in his breeding have the strong lines? i’m not familiar with any of it. :slight_smile:

thanks so much!! he really has filled out a lot, i’m really liking how he’s starting to look!!

this was when we first got him,
image|375x500

vs now!!

12 Likes