Thoughts on "The Traveling Horse Witch?"

Thanks

Thanks. The before and after pictures are just realy odd.

1 Like

In the “before” photo the horse is dirty and not clipped. In the “after” photo it is clipped and clean. The look of the near fore in the “before” photo looks like the horse is about to reposition the leg. The “after” photo shows an offset and enlarged knee.

The photos really can’t be compared when taken from different angles.

7 Likes

Do customers really respond to before and after pictures of training like they do before and after weight loss pics?

2 Likes

The hooves in the before and after pictures look like they’ve been through a few shoeing cycles.

2 Likes

Good question, LOL!!! And of course, those photos are similar in the fact that the “before” pix are always of the person with no makeup, hair a mess, poorest posture, bad lighting, unflattering outfit. The “after” is in a much cuter outfit, great lighting, standing up straight (or my favorite, the 45 degree angle shot), hair and makeup done to a “T”.

4 Likes

Oh but that can’t be what’s helping, it’s magic, silly.

4 Likes

not everyone objects to being lied to. For some, it actually seems to be a comfort-zone.

5 Likes

If you lie to yourself, it can be very hard to spot other people’s lies.

Many people are dishonest or inconsistent with themselves about their intentions, abilities, goals, with their horses. Fake it til you make it, chasing the new shiny thing, denial about fear, denial about horses physical issues, staying with trainers that have poor track records and ultimately destructive training methods because of your ego, etc. It is more comfortable to follow a lie that helps support your own lies than to confront your own self dishonesty.

Also many people don’t have the bandwidth or knowledge base to process new claims or information about horse or human health, nutrition, or fitness. They are vulnerable to pseudo science or snake oil for both humans and horses. Someone with batsht ideas about human health and nutrition isn’t going to suddenly think clearly about horses.

So for both these types of folks, a big energetic cheerful bit of flummery is their comfort zone.

13 Likes

i have always thought people just naturally have a bullshit-filter. And that those who appreciate fakery do so because it’s ‘nicer’/easier etc…than the truth. Than the cold,hard, truth.

2 Likes

No, many people truly believe some kinds of bullsht because it fits their world view and does not disturb their self image. Perhaps I’m actually more or less agreeing with you :slight_smile:

People evaluate claims based on factual/intellectual aspects, emotional reaction, authority of claimant, social pressure and self interest. The mix is different for different people.

Some people say “I will get out my vet and do what he says.”

Some people say “I will get out my vet but in the meantime research everything I can to have an educated discussion with him.”

Some people say “I don’t like or trust vets because they never listen to me or treat the horse holistically and I prefer an alternative therapy that takes my emotional needs seriously.”

Some people say “There is no problem, Pookey is just being naughty.”

Etc.

12 Likes

internally though…don’t you think they know?
dogs know. horses know. heck, even chickens know. How can people not?

2 Likes

Because people very often lie to themselves and that means they can not see lies in other people.

Because people base their beliefs on facts and information and when those are wrong, the conclusions will be wrong. See 19th century medical ideas.

Because people have egos and the number one job of the psyche is to protect the ego, the sense of self. We reject ideas that threaten our core identity, our survival, and our existing intellectual and social and emotional commitments.

Animals lack all of these.

6 Likes

My biggest iffy feeling about things like these is that you end up paying so much money for something that you could really learn from other, less expensive, less gimmicky sources. Or even better, you might spend all that money just to learn the super special techniques are something you already know. I just don’t buy that I have to have a one on one session with someone to understand the concepts without harming my horse.

8 Likes

Well…she’s being gifted…gifted by other folks’ hard earned money, LOL!

1 Like

NO comparison between this person and Mr. Charles De Kunffy.

Never said she was comparable. Maybe re-read that post.
You seem to have taken this whole topic very personally and are leaving logic by the wayside. Got an axe to grind?

5 Likes

Why bring up his name if it wasn’t to make a comparison?:woman_shrugging:t3: I’m firmly on the side of logic, not magic. Interesting how that is a trigger for some.

2 Likes

Know what i think???
I think it’s perfectly OK for someone to revere a practitioner as long as no horses were harmed in the making. Let them like this traveling witch. What’s the harm in that…
It would be a stupid boring world if we all liked the same things.

10 Likes