Unlimited access >

Thread for overweight riders

i have the green with tan seat in the winter ones…rode at -30*C in them, and kept warm…

They might have to go on my Christmas list. Never mind I moved to a barn with a heated indoor arena (I know, don’t hate me!) but I still think winter breeches are going to be essential and my last pair of Kerrits Sit Tight & Warm are pretty much worn out.

One of my biggest issues though is simply buying new things when I’m at this weight. I keep deluding myself that it’s a waste of money because I’m going to lose weight…except I keep gaining instead of losing it!

Where do you buy Fuller Fillies? I thought they stopped making them? I can’t find them anywhere! I can’t wear Pipers either.

Order online through Fuller Fillies themselves. They have a ton of styles and colours!

BigMama I think we have similarly shaped lower halves. Would you consider a mens breech? The mens Ovation euroseat breeches are super comfy, soft and stretchy, come in knee patch and fullseat, and are super flattering. I have them in rust and find I won’t wear my other breeches anymore because none compare to the Ovations.

I would absolutely try them. I always thought men’s pants were cut straighter through the thigh, and not so accommodating to curves, so have never thought of it

I find the Ovations to be generous in the thighs, because they are designed to not be worn skin-tight like womens breeches are. I have such thick thighs that although I could probably squeeze into the biggest Elations in the waist, they don’t fit over my thighs at all. My Ovations fit beautifully at my natural waist and hug my thighs and hips without being too restrictive while mounted, but are still loose without being baggy when I’m just standing/walking around. I prefer the knee patch because I deal with such major crotch sweat that full seats aren’t the best for every day, but I do have a pair on hand for if I ever show, or if I’m having a bad pain day and need a little more security in my seat.

The Ovations are also a bit of a tech fabric, but have a TON of stretch in them. They are infinitely more comfortable than cotton breeches in the summer because they don’t soak up sweat and make you feel like you peed your pants, haha. And unlike the Tuffrider Patrol breeches I have, the zipper on the Ovations actually stays up :wink:

The ONLY feature I miss about women’s breeches is the sock bottoms. With how short my legs are, the velcro bottoms can hit a weird spot under my boots, but thankfully the Ovations fit nicely enough that even if I pull the legs up a little extra to get the velcro to hit the narrowest part of my leg rather than sit down at my heel they don’t cause bunching elsewhere. (if that makes any sense whatsoever)

Good to know! I am also super excited that Romfh is launching larger sizes this summer. They have a few high waist styles hat I’ve been coveting for ages.

I’m a big fan of the Kerrits Flex FS tights for summer riding. Available through 2x. So cool and the seat is fairly sticky.

I have trouble finding protective vests to fit. I’m not very tall and have curves (hourglass shape, albeit a plus-sized hourglass). I’ve been riding in a Tipperary Ride Light, but I want an approved/rated vest now. Most everything is too long in the back. I suppose I’m going to bite the bullet and try the Airowear Outlyne. Acoording to the chart, one of their stock sizes should fit…we shall see. Like you, BigMama, I have a hard time putting out the cash when I know I need to lose weight. At the same time, I get tired of relegating myself to 2nd-class citizen status (by depriving myself of nice things) because I’m plus-sized.

Reported.

Bumping this thread back up because I am struggling with my size/weight really badly lately, after some nasty comments were made by a vet (who has seen my horse once and has never seen me in the saddle) and a chiro (who also has never seen me ride, and who herself has stated that pony’s back is “nice and strong”). They say I am far too fat to ride my pony (the chiro doesn’t want me riding ANY horse, actually) and that I will ruin his back if I continue. And yet the chiro has not made any note of back issues in the 6 visits she has made to work on the herd (I went through all the reports) in the last 2 years?

The old chiro (before she retired from large animals) never had an issue with me riding my 14hh, 1200lb haflingerXmorgan. Neither did my vet (who has seen us a few times since he’s been at the therapeutic riding program, but hasn’t worked on him since the program has their own vet) who has seen me ride in both english and western tack at all gaits, as well as bareback in just a neck strap.

So realistically I SHOULD take the new chiro and the vet that made the nasty comments remarks with a grain of salt since neither has seen me ride, especially if my vet and the old chiro has no qualms about me riding him, but I cannot shake the fact that these other professionals are adamant that I should not be riding, let alone riding a 14hh pony, regardless of build. The vet who made the comments is a relatively recent addition to the practice that the barn uses, and while we usually use the practice owner, she was off having a baby so we had the new addition do teeth and shots this spring.

I also am having to look for a new saddle since the fitter was out several weeks ago and said that my 3 are “garbage and should be burned”, fit him with a saddle that works great for his therapy riders but doesn’t even remotely work for me, and refuses to work with me to find something that fits him and me both because she also thinks i am too fat to ride. I’ve also had a few companies that I have reached out to about ordering a saddle tell me based on still photos that I am too big for my pony and have since refused to work with me.

I physically cannot lose weight while on the psychiatric medication I have to take (but at least it doesn’t pack on countless pounds like a lot of these sorts of meds do), regardless of how hard I exercise and how little I eat. My GP has ruled out underlying health issues like thyroid problems and diabetes, and says that I am pretty muscular aside from my “beer gut” so the number on the scale doesn’t worry him. My psychiatrist has me on meds that are not known to cause weight gain, and a couple are actually known to cause weight loss, but I cannot lose weight. Neither are willing to try medication that may assist in my losing weight.

I guess I needed to vent more than anything, and figured the folks following this thread would understand better than most.

Sorry to drone on like that! Feel free to ignore me, haha! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s a tough situation to be in. I’ve been trying to lose weight myself. If pony hasn’t shown any signs of any problems I’d keep on riding him. What’s wrong with his old saddle? If you’re really concerned, I’d ger a second and a third opinion, especially since it sounds like you’ve veen riding him for a while without any problems.

CS, you might be interested in this thread. They are discussing weight carrying and @Guilherme is pretty well versed on these things, especially the historic cavalry aspect.

https://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/f…7#post10103317

PS: If your saddles have been working and aparantly fitting, then why dump all of them on the word of 1 (count 'em, ONE!!) fitter? I’d at least get a second opinion.

2 Likes

That sucks. Nobody knows your horse as well as you do, so as long as you feel he is comfortable and happy carrying you, you are probably right. The 20% rule of thumb is a decent guideline but not a hard and fast rule. The saddle issue is trickier. In general I think the horse is harder to fit than the person so if you have something that works acid him already, keep it. Why did you have a new fitter out? Is the horse showing signs of discomfort or poor fit in all of your saddles?

1 Like

The therapy program had all of the tack looked at for all horses as part of an annual wellness check thing, and the fitter looked at all three of my saddles and said they are all terrible. He’s never shown any signs of discomfort, and even though they all slip sideways somewhat, so does the “perfectly fitted” Duett with the hoop tree. It’s kind of just what happens when you’re dealing with a broad back and zero wither or spinal definition whatsoever. Haha. The fitter and chiro swear that his habit of popping his shoulder is due to poor saddle fit, but he only does it with a couple riders, and if it was a saddle issue he would be doing it with me as well and he doesn’t. With me he pops his hip, but that’s 100% a me issue because it’s the side I have limited feeling (and thus control) of my leg on. My coach can confirm this as well.

This new fitter came because the old one has left the Island and passed all his clients to her. She is an actual fitter in that she can make adjustments and change flocking and such, whereas others in the area are saddle reps who can say whether or not a saddle fits but they have to ship them off to a workshop to actually have work done.

In english tack I’m still under the 20%. In western I’m a bit over but I think western has even more leeway due to the lower PSI’s and larger weight bearing surface normally anyway. But since the fitter was out and looked at his saddles, the right bar on my western feels floppy, which indicates it likely being broken, so I need to find someone knowledgable in western saddles who can evaluate its integrity for me.

I went for a toddle in a really really comfy bareback pad last night. Slipping my hand between the pad and his back under my butt found minimal pressure points, which was reassuring. I may see if I can borrow it for the summer so i have something i can ride him in.

I read the book “Seats and Saddles, Bits and Bitting” by Francis Dwyer. He was in the Cavalry arm of the Imperial Austrian Cavalry in the late 1800’s.

He said in the book that when the hussar’s horses (“light” cavalry) were carrying all their gear and the rider that the total load they carried tended to be A THIRD of the horses’ weights (rider, saddle, weapons, ammunition, holsters, food and whatever else the powers that be thought these riders would need on campaign away from supply depots.)

I ride Forward Seat, and my weight when I sit in the saddle is carried by my seat, my thighs, and my stirrups. I do not know your physical limitations but if you can distribute your weight some away from your seat-bones you will feel lighter on the horses’ backs. Quite a few of the old equitation writers write that some heavy people ride lighter on the horses backs than lighter people who do not ride as well and become a burden on the horse.

I told my riding teachers and tack store people about the third of the weight of the horse carried by these cavalry horses and they all said to look at the reiners, big heavy men, riding in big heavy saddles on small horses.

To be fair, much has been learned since the 1800’s about horse welfare, and many of the reiners you speak of do not remain sound and in competition. I don’t think that either the example of the 1800’s cavalry nor the reining horses of today are relevant to the OP’s situation.

Each horse and rider are unique in their conformation. OP, your horse is sound and you feel balanced, correct?

If your previous vet saw no issue with your suitability to your horse, then you are only encountering people with a different opinion. You do keep an eye on your horse’s comfort, so if you feel OK with riding, I’d say ride on. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

saddle fitter just wants to sell you a saddle. if your English saddle has not been hurting his back, and if you are comfortable in it, then keep using it. Do be diligent to check his back every day and make sure and give him plenty of walk breaks. My DD is in your same position, has to take the meds, having a hard time losing the weight, but she is a good rider and is very considerate of her horse and gives frequent breaks. You need your ride time for your mental health, so DO IT.

6 Likes

Excellent advice!

My friend who weighed 200lbs rode my 15.1 TB hacking out (in a western saddle) with no issues.

She had ridden western since childhood and had decent balance. I think an English saddle might have been a more difficult proposition, both for her balance and the weight distribution of the saddle.

@BigMama1 I was just at Pleasant Ridge, and saw they had Kerrits in 1x,2x,3x on clearance, and other brands 40% off. Might be worth a look?

1 Like