Unlimited access >

Thread for overweight riders

Regarding saddle fit- the port lewis impression pad. These are a little pricey but I really like that I can get a bead on how my saddle is fitting. Just thought I’d put the info out there.

https://vimeo.com/73426309

1 Like

Any of my fellow fluffy riders have any success with a low carb / high fat diet? I am giving it a try (while also keeping an eye on my total calories to make sure I’m not eating more than I burn) and it’s only been a couple of days but so far I’m not finding it too difficult. I like the satisfaction and fullness the higher fat component seems to bring.

Since my thyroid surgery my levels have really dropped into the low category so the dr has finally put me on Synthroid, which I’m hoping may also stimulate a little little weight loss.

My new horse is only 16.1. She’s a large-framed warmblood with solid bone and my trainer assured me I’m not too heavy for her, but I’m sure the mare would appreciate having a little less f me to carry around :slight_smile:

I have not personally tried it but I know more than one person who has. They lost weight. They also found out that their bad cholesterol levels went thru the roof with this eating style so they had to modify to not eat so much high fat food.

I can see how that could happen easily. It doesn’t seem like a nutritionally sound long-term solution, unless you are very careful about watching cholesterol and saturated fat levels. But hopefully a good way to kick start some weight loss

Sort of. I am doing low carb but not so much high fat- more low carb and healthy. Similar to Whole 30 but with some dairy. I am also fasting (8/16- 8 hours of the day I can eat, 16 hours I can’t). If I keep myself focused on a goal, I find it pretty easy to follow. Right now my goal is a 55 mile endurance ride at the end of August. I did it a couple months back in a pact with my brother (so helpful to have someone else doing it with you!!) and lost 25 lbs in a month. I’m 10 days into this stretch and down 13 lbs. Yes, I know some of that is water weight but I’m pretty sure my mare doesn’t care where the weight I lost came from if she gets to carry less over those mountains lol. I think between the fasting, the diet change and being very active (I work at a tree nursery, ride 5-10 miles a day most days and have been doing a strengthening program)- so far it’s working pretty good. I don’t think that people who don’t struggle with the weight understand how insanely hard it is- losing weight is almost an all consuming job. If I take out one of those 3 elements, it doesn’t seem to work. Sooo frustrating!

I know a lot of horse people who have lost weight on those Keto-type diets. Me? They make me feel worn-out and low-energy. But they must work for a lot of people - try bringing pasta salad or anything carb-y to the next barn potluck and see how much you go home with!
I’ve been doing Noom for about a week now. You can get the first two weeks for a dollar, to try it out. After that, it’s around $140 for the next four months. I like it - it’s similar to Weight Watchers in that you track your food and exercise on an app. But I like it better because you’re not playing the “point” game. Instead, they just tell you how many calories the food has and you have a daily limit. The goal though is to re-educate you to eat less calorie-dense foods. I’ve lost five pounds this first week, which I realize is probably mostly water weight, but I’ll take it!

I use My Fitness Pal to log all my food and track calories and nutrients. Not trying to do as low card as Keto - that would mean cutting out almost all vegetables which doesn’t make much sense nutritionally. But I am using full fat cheese, cream in my coffee, etc. which so far is keeping me full and halpy

1 Like

My psychiatrist and I sat down after my GP and Endocribologist both ruled out hormonal/physical reasons I’ve been unable to lose weight and looked at revamping my meds, and opted to replace my old mood stabilizer with a different one, Topamax, which is known to cause weight loss, in hopes of helping me shed a few pounds since diet/exercise/lifestyle changes have not made any difference.

Ive been on it for a few weeks and am very slowly titrating up to a therapeutic dose and am pretty happy so far. Haven’t really seen any weight changes but don’t expect to for a while yet, but I also haven’t experienced any “Dopamax/Stupamax” brain fog that people often complain about with Topamax either. I’m also finding my sleep quality is GREATLY improved! I’m not sleeping particularly long, maybe 5 to 6 hours most nights, but it’s quality, restful sleep. And if I don’t lose an ounce but continue feeling rested while taking it, I will be perfectly happy!

I also started the process of ordering a custom saddle for ponypants and me. Anxious about the cost, guilty for buying new after only ever owning second hand saddles before, but excited to be working with a saddle maker that isn’t shaming me for my weight vs pony’s height (Thank you Frank Baines!).

so feeling better lately overall. Yay!

7 Likes

I understand feeling anxious about the cost of a custom saddle, BUT if it’s properly fitted and sized to you both, you will not regret it. I ordered a semi custom saddle 11 years ago. It was made to fit me and my then gelding. Luckily it fits my current horse as well. And even now, after every ride I still exclaim ‘I love my saddle!’ LOL.

I also went through the pain of dealing with a naysayer who insisted I was so large that he would have a hard time making a saddle for me. This saddler was wringing his hands, shaking his head, and intermittently mopping his brow at the sight of me sitting in a floor model on the rack.

Just keep on keeping on – happy to hear you’re feeling better. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My issue was I kept getting told that it was impossible to fit a saddle to pony and me both, and that I am far too big for him. They could fit something to him, or fit something to me, but not to both of us, and I should be riding an 18hh draft horse at my size apparently. Multiple companies and fitters told me this, so I gave up on riding for several months. Frank Baines told me to get my local stockist out to measure us and they would look at hooking us up with something because they don’t see any reason why I shouldn’t be able to ride him, even in a 17.5 or 18 seat saddle. So huge shoutout to Frank Baines for being willing to give it a go and work with us!

4 Likes

So glad to hear things are moving in the right direction!

Are there any particular websites for selling plus-size riding clothes? I have shrunk out of my biggest stuff and need to get rid of it so I don’t go back there. I’ve tried my local used tack sales, but apparently no one here is as big as I was (I’ve lost a whole person).

1 Like

Congratulations, losing a person is fantastic.

There are a number of Facebook groups that list clothes fir plus size riders.

What size are they?

I bet I’m as big as you were lol - let me know what breeches you have! On Facebook look for a page called the English Plus Sized Rider Sales

I am doing WW and have lost 37 lbs so far. My diet is mostly low fat protein and lots of fruits and veggies. I love their new free style program with the 0 point foods. It is easy for me to follow for the most part. I mean I am losing weight and changing my diet so there are things that I choose not to eat and i miss that I can’t just eat like a normal person. But I am losing the weight and it is the only program that has really worked for me. Oh WW was formally known as Weight Watchers.

Just wanted to add- I joined WW this past January and am down 42 lbs. I don’t feel I’m restricted, and I find I eat normal- just more in moderation and healthier alternative recipes. For example- I have a pizza recipe I make quite a few times throughout the week, and I eat ice cream every day. There’s a way to still do comfort food! I also increased my riding and try to do some extra exercise.

I tried to do the keto thing before this and had minimal success, plus found it way more restrictive than WW.

3 Likes

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has updated reccs for breeches / tights? I want full seat and a pocket big enough for my phone!

1 Like

Kerrits tights are pretty much all I wear anymore. Nothing else fits me as well. The Thermo Tech full leg for winter and Ice Fil full seat tech tights in summer.

Both have pockets big enough for your phone, although I’m not sure the Ice Fil pockets are big enough for the giant phones that seem to be getting more popular.

2 Likes

I’m also a fan of Kerrits.

1 Like

I use Land’s End leggings. https://www.landsend.com/search/S-yp2?initialSearch=true&q=519112&cm_re=plus_size_linking_search&dq=plus%20size%20Women's%20Active%20High%20Rise%20Compression%20Slimming%20Pocket%20Leggings
They always have some pro or with 40-50% off.

They are pretty thick and have the thigh pockets. So far, they have held up fine for riding. I prefer nothing sticky so they work fine. Baleaf also makes some riding tights with a thigh pocket. I wore these all our very hot summer and I didn’t feel like I was being cooked.

Susan