Unlimited access >

Tiny saddles, like 13", where the HECK are they?

I have searched high and low for a tiny close contact saddle. I know these are rare gems but there has to be a place where people buy/sell them!! Please refer me to your fave saddle consignment websites (or people) that would see these tiny tot saddles occasionally.

TIA

1 Like

Try Ebay if you are looking for new and used. Many reputable businesses have a store on there too.

I looked and saw a bunch of english, treeless and others in the size you are looking for but as always you have to know the manufacturer to know the quality. Worth a look.

Hi CandyAppy, I have scoured ebay as well. I am looking for a nicer, show quality type saddle. Like Beval, Ian Miller, Collegiates, Most of them are older bc they arenā€™t made anymore. sad! Iā€™ll continue to keep an eye there and maybe I will get lucky :slight_smile:

The smallest Pessoa Pony saddles are 14ā€ seats. The flaps can vary in length from about 11ā€. The newer versions have the changeable gullet systems. Nice little lead line and childrenā€™s saddle.

Good luck with your tiny tot saddle search.

1 Like

tiny one at Rickā€™s https://saddlesource.com/kids-devoucoux.html it says 15 but looks itty bitty.

1 Like

Looks like Dover Saddlery has a Pessoa Pony saddle type ā€˜knock offā€™. It doesnā€™t have the changeable gullet but itā€™s a good price at just under $700. Maybe something to look into?

Hereā€™s a 13" Beval at Middleburg Tack Exchange: https://www.middleburgtack.com/specialty/beval-ltd-cc . There are a couple of other childrenā€™s saddles listed, too.

1 Like

Are you sure you need a 13? I have a 15 inch and it fits 4 year olds.

1 Like

@Paisley_Pony - This is a great one, thank you thank you!

@StormyDay - Yes, 13" for now, my girls are 2.5 yrs old :slight_smile:

Youā€™re welcome! :grinning:

14" is as small as youā€™re likely to find, and I can say that I never wanted anything smaller than that for my own daughter. They canā€™t use their bodies terribly intentionally prior to the point that they start fitting into a saddle that size, so if you really feel like you need a smaller seat then maybe a leadline saddle would be a better bet. My kid preferred bareback pads to everything else until she was 4ish.

But on the ā€œfinding oneā€ note, I have found and sold all of my small saddles on the ā€œJust Ponies - Kids and Pony Equipment and Clothesā€ FB page. And Iā€™ve seen a few 14" ones pop up there lately.

2 Likes

@PNWjumper Thank you for your response and insight. My girls are 2.5 years old and small but with great balance. I have a leadline saddle for them but its the synthetic type and not grippy like leather. A boarder of ours has a 14" saddle that I sat them in and its just too large for their tiny behinds. So while they are not quite ready to step up to the little leather saddle, I have been keeping my eyes peeled for any that might hit the market so I am ready when they are - and they are true unicorns saddles and so hard to find. Luckily and thankfully since posting this I have been pointed in the direction of two nice 13" saddles that may work for us. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just in case anyone is worried about my littleā€™s not being balanced or coordinated enough (yes, I have had unsolicited comments from people in person), here is one of my girls are 15 months old.

https://urldefense.com/v3/https://www.facebook.com/12600977/posts/10108917522694957/?d=n;!!KQQRbYJqkXCDY_8FAQ!QMLVFLzOjH-4n1_S5mZDxO8PgUm88BxH_4M0fS_qwGLp5Gd3gCJDJjiz3_aQiSd-N6iZyl0$

3 Likes

Oh my word! Just too cute!

Sheā€™s absolutely darling!

My best friend is an ICU/ER nurse and the parent of a pony kid. Something sheā€™s mentioned before is the lack of neck strength of toddlers/preschoolers. We both cringe watching videos of leadline hunting, jumping, etc
from the UK on Shite Eventers.
Even when the child doesnā€™t get bounced out of the tack, you often see their heads bobbing around uncontrollably & their little necks snapping back with whiplash force above a walk.

Just something else to keep an eye out for.

4 Likes

My friend has a tiny (13" or 14") flat Jimmyā€™s 21st Century with little saddle pad. If youā€™re still in the market message me and Iā€™ll put you in touch with her

Tack Shack of Ocala has several little kid saddles in their clearance room. The one that caught my eye is a 13.5" thatā€™s beautiful soft grippy leather and flaps short enough to actually fit a small child and not have their whole leg on the flap. By Smith Worthington if my memory is correct, was around $650. Iā€™m sure they could send you pics and ship it to you.

I have a Stubben Edelweiss Junior in nearly new condition for sale with leathers and safety stirrups
And the cover. Say in about 2x by my niece before she outgrew it

My trainer had a tiny 13 inch saddle that my girls sat in when they were just being led around. By the time my older daughter started learning to ride, we found a 14 inch Beval saddle for her that was big at the time, but now fits her younger sister just fine. My older is into a 15 inch Butet now. They grow really fast.

And then there is me. I used to ride in a 17 inch Butet. Now I am shopping for a larger one with longer flaps. No, I did not get any taller :confused:

Smith worthington out of Hartford, CT made one for the tiniest riders and IIRC the price didnā€™t break the bank.