Unlimited access >

To wear a shadbelly... - or not - is the question... (Hunter Classic)

As the mom of a quickly growing 12 year old A/AA circuit hunter, I want to know the preference / protocol / trend :slight_smile: for shadbellies, shirts and stock ties… for the Hunter Classic.

What is the current preferred attire for the “Hunter Classic” at A and AA shows?

dark coat first round
shad second round
both with a white shirt shad with a stock tie
However I’ve gone into the second round without one, its not ideal but I won the classic so it clearly didn’t really matter.

Shadbellies are usually pretty common in the pony/children’s hunter level classics, but if you don’t want to spend the $$ on it for a growing kid, he/she will look just fine in tan breeches and a navy coat. Unless the specs say formal attire, no shadbelly is completely fine.

I show at the AA level in Zone 7 (mostly Texas shows) which are pretty big and competitive. It is rare that anyone wears a shad for the classics because they are run with the division and no one wants to change into a shad. Even at Zone Finals people mainly wore hunt coats for the classic. I have a shad and I have never worn it for a classic, only for Derbies.

ETA: I have also won a Children´s Hunter classic while wearing a normal hunt coat :slight_smile:

Here, most kids do not bother to change into a shad for classics. My daughter only uses hers at local finals, pony finals, and derbies. My vote is, don’t buy one until you have to! They outgrow them fast!

[QUOTE=iEquitate;7002324]
Shadbellies are usually pretty common in the pony/children’s hunter level classics, but if you don’t want to spend the $$ on it for a growing kid, he/she will look just fine in tan breeches and a navy coat. Unless the specs say formal attire, no shadbelly is completely fine.[/QUOTE]

A navy coat with a white shirt is perfectly acceptable as formal attire.

From the rule book, available to all at www.USEF.org

HU127 Attire.

1. Formal Attire. Riders are required to wear scarlet or dark coats; white shirts with white stock; white, buff or canary breeches and protective headgear.

[QUOTE=olivertwist96;7002366]
I show at the AA level in Zone 7 (mostly Texas shows) which are pretty big and competitive. It is rare that anyone wears a shad for the classics because they are run with the division and no one wants to change into a shad. Even at Zone Finals people mainly wore hunt coats for the classic. I have a shad and I have never worn it for a classic, only for Derbies.

ETA: I have also won a Children´s Hunter classic while wearing a normal hunt coat :)[/QUOTE]

Same for Zone 5 Amateur Adults. I’m always looking for an excuse to wear my shad because it covers my thighs, but really only wear one for derbies. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Kat.;7002319]
dark coat first round
shad second round
both with a white shirt shad with a stock tie
However I’ve gone into the second round without one, its not ideal but I won the classic so it clearly didn’t really matter.[/QUOTE]

??

I have never heard of doing the first round with a regular coat and stocktie…I have always just worn a shadbelly for both rounds.

[QUOTE=goodlife;7002763]
??

I have never heard of doing the first round with a regular coat and stocktie…I have always just worn a shadbelly for both rounds.[/QUOTE]
Some shows use a trip from the regular division as the first round of the classic, then bring back the top x number of riders for the second round. So some people will wear regular clothes for the first round, then change into the shadbelly to come back.

[QUOTE=MHM;7002777]
Some shows use a trip from the regular division as the first round of the classic, the bring back the top x number of riders for the second round. So some people will wear regular clothes for the first round, then change into the shadbelly to come back.[/QUOTE]

Ah, that makes more sense. I was envisioning getting ready for the classic as a separate entity and having to bring up a wardrobe change and then wondered if I was being improper by just going straight to the shadbelly. :lol:

Shadbellies, I find, are for stand alone classics only. AKA those which take place on a separate day/ separate from the division where the first round is not part of the division. These will often be in mini derby format or take place first thing in the morning or in the night.

Thanks so much everyone!!! I <3 Chronicle forums!

We have been wearing a dark coat and white shirt for the classics that are integrated with the regular large pony divisions and would have been out of place to do otherwise in those instances - at A & AA shows…

…However, from what is posted here, I’m sensing a definite “yes” for Pony Finals? …It’s such a different type of show…

Thanks again!!!

Olivertwist & Snaffle…
…Thoughts on Pony Finals?

At Pony Finals, you would still be correct to use a white shirt and dark jacket, but you might be more in the minority. I’m sure you could find pictures online from the last year or two at Pony Finals to get an idea of how many people opt for the different attire. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=MHM;7038851]
At Pony Finals, you would still be correct to use a white shirt and dark jacket, but you might be more in the minority. I’m sure you could find pictures online from the last year or two at Pony Finals to get an idea of how many people opt for the different attire. :)[/QUOTE]

An example of a beautifully turned out rider in jodhpurs and without a shad belly at pony finals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpJU9QPKs10

Yes! Thanks! …And Maddy Schaefer ROCKS it!!! …Love that she’s in her garters too :)! …Traditionally age appropriate.

I was showing in the A/Os til recently which aren’t huge in PA unless you are at the bigger shows (like St. Christophers or Blue Rock) so many times when there were less than or equal to 12 in the classic. They would have us run our second round of the classic with our regular trips instead of making a big deal out of the classic. Then I would not wear my shad.

Otherwise, I wear my normal hunt coat in the first round of the classic if it is built into my regular division trips and then if they bring us back for the second round separately I’ll put on my shadbelly.

I also tended not to bring my shadbelly to the “smaller shows” because I just didn’t feel the classic at a show with no photographer and small divisions warranted the pomp and circumstance of a shadbelly.

You definitely do not NEED a shadbelly for pony finals but shads are so much fun! I remember being so excited the first time I got to wear my shadbelly, especially because it was something my mom said she would never buy for me to do childrens in but once I was doing the pony hunters I was allowed to have one.

The question is, when you look at pictures, are you going to regret that you didn’t get that moment in a shadbelly? To go without is fine. But going with is special. And they have fantastic resale value. So I say get one and have her wear it. You only go around once and anything can happen in the horse world. So not to be too dramatic, but you never know when a horse’s round is his last and you never know if the kid is about to have the ride of her life. Wear it when appropriate. Get a picture.

[QUOTE=EAY;7039042]
An example of a beautifully turned out rider in jodhpurs and without a shad belly at pony finals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpJU9QPKs10[/QUOTE]
Aww! How cute was that?!? Pretty darn cute, I’d say. :slight_smile:

The Connection/Robin Petix used to [not sure she still does, but I’d think so] rent shads. Not sure what all shows she goes to (several in NYS, some FL, I think). You might contact her to see if you can rent even if she’s not on site at your show. http://www.thecollectiononlinestore.com/