Unlimited access >

Too old to get a puppy? update #44 Puppy has been sold

Team puppy! 80 is the new 60!

6 Likes

I am a little ways behind you but old enough I feel I can speak to this. All my adult life I have been sensible, donā€™t buy that for the sensible reason, donā€™t do that for the sensible reason, donā€™t breed your mare, for the sensible reason!!
I am sure I made many good sensible decisions that stood me well but not all of them. There is this little thing called live a little.
You are obviously experienced with puppies and also the particular breed. If you reasonably think you can afford and have the energy/desire to keep up with a puppy I say go for it!

I know some people have the thought that it is too hard on the pooch when their person leaves them but as I said I am also of the age and I know several times this has happened. In each case the pooch adjusts and carryā€™s on. They are far more sensible than we people.
Last fall I adopted a lovely girl whose people were changing their lifestyle and she no longer had a place. She has a place here and she knows it. :slight_smile:
I also think the best medicine comes on 4 legs, and it seems like an open door that the breed you like is available in an older pup. :))

6 Likes

Any news on (maybe your) puppy? Has the breeder said anything?

Iā€™m excited for you.

Also, in the interests of further enabling, should this puppy not be yours due to fate, that just means that fate wants you to have a different puppy.

7 Likes

I popped back for a puppy update (and pics). Hope you are too busy loving the new guy to post.

2 Likes

The good news is that I purchased the puppyā€¦ It is confirmed.

Previous people interested decided they wanted a younger puppy so are not viewing him.

I will pick him up on Tuesday. I decided to wait until then for several reasons. I have time to calm down, clean up the crate and search for all my puppy paraphernalia. Tuesday the weather forecast is good for driving and hopefully by then the ice around my house will be gone.

Thank you all for helping me make this decision. I couldnā€™t have done it without you.

55 Likes

Hooray ! Your thread update did not trick me ~ knew it was YOU who purchased this puppy !

Great plan for pick up ~ you are so organized and methodical about prepping for your treasures ~

Iā€™m sure youā€™ve spoken to Bentley and thanked him for sending your new ā€˜chargeā€™ ~

Jingles & AO ~ safe travels ~ thanks for sharing this grand new part of your life ~

7 Likes

So glad to hear heā€™s yours! When I saw the edited title it sounded like the other family had taken him.

I canā€™t wait for photos!

6 Likes

Yay!!! @Cat_Tap!!! So happy for you! Have you thought of a name?

2 Likes

Yay! Congratulations to you and the puppy!
(But your update #44 just about stopped my heart ā€“ I thought you meant heā€™d been sold to those other people. :frowning: )
Looking forward to your Tuesday update!

9 Likes

So did I.
Neither can I.

5 Likes

Congratulations! When I saw the update, I though it was bad news, the other people had gotten him, and was going to write to you to keep trying. So happy for you (and himā€“lucky dog!)

Pics when you get a chance.

Enablers of COTH, good job!

10 Likes

Havenā€™t got a name yet. I made a list but will wait until I meet him. My previous Bouvs were: Merlin, Murphy, Cooper, Winston and Bentley. It always takes me a long time to find one that I think would fit the dog.

Current list is Carter, Bailey, Maxwell, Bouguard, (Bouvier-guarddog), Baxter and Parker.

May think of more.

6 Likes

Bailey
Maxwell a close second ~

He will let you know ~

• no maybe Parker ā€¦.

:crazy_face:. Never mind - all good names - canā€™t even decide which one I like best :crazy_face:

1 Like

First, congratulations! :tada:

As for names, in the past, you seem to have had two themes, raptors (Merlins, and Cooper hawks) and British cars, plus Murphy, an Irish ringer thrown in for good measure.

Of your current picks, Iā€™m partial to Carter. Jimmy has been a good man for a long time.

I could go down a long rabbit hole with more raptor names, though.

5 Likes

Yessssss! Congratulations!

Yay!!! Canā€™t wait to see puppy pics on Tuesday!!!

4 Likes

AH!! you got me! My heart fell when I read your edited title.

Then I read the post that YOU purchased him! What a roller coaster of emotions you have me on @Cat_Tap !

Drive Safely and we canā€™t wait to ā€˜meetā€™ your new pup!

7 Likes

Itā€™s almost TUESDAY !!!

4 Likes

Tuesday is PUPPY DAY!!!

5 Likes

The crate is bigger than I remembered but I managed to get it into the car. Bought some food and chewy toys and have been investigating puppy schools. Getting anxious now. Have had offers for company but I seem to want to do this alone.

Iā€™ll check in tomorrow evening. Picking up the pup at noon. No name yet, waiting to meet him first.

I was terribly depressed yesterday. Even CBD oil and Happy Light didnā€™t help. Feeling much more positive today.

11 Likes