Unlimited access >

Tractor stuck in the muck

I give up tonight. I will take a shovel out in the morning. I have a ditch (not very deep) that I have filled in with stall cleanings that have composted into muck. We had a LOT of rain last night. I got the tractor too close when I was dumping stall cleanings and now I am stuck in the ditch. Tractor is in 4 wheel drive but the front part of the tractor is in too deep in the muck to get traction and my back wheels aren’t engaging.

If I go forward I drive into deeper muck and it won’t go forward. I can’t get maneuvered to cross over the ditch and get on solid ground. So I am backing up uphill trying to get on solid ground. I have made progress but still can’t get on solid ground. I can ALMOST get out but I can’t get that last 12 inches over to solid ground. I have managed to back up 6 or 7 feet closer to solid ground but the front of the tractor is still in too deep.

I tried getting some of the muck dug out with my foot and putting down shavings for traction and it ALMOST works and then the front end sinks in the muck.

I give up for the night. What can I use for traction to get the front tires out of the muck? Boards? I tried to put the tractor in 2 wheel drive to engage the back tires but no dice. It refuses to shift. I tried 4WD high and now low and it is stuck in low. I need my tractor!

I have some scraps from cutting stall mats that are VERY helpful when the tractor is stuck. Do you have anything you can use (like a truck?) to just yank it out?

1 Like

Not sure I want to get the truck out there too. I underestimated how much rain we got and how soft the ground is in that spot. Red clay under the muck too. I don’t have any matting scraps but I will look to see what I have. The frustrating part is that I can almost get out and then the front end sinks and I can’t quite get onto solid ground. If I can get the front end onto something solid I think I can make it.

In my tractor there is a lever near (beside behind) my right foot. Press that to the floor before you try moving again.

If that is not there and you have chain and some where to tie it, you can google putting the chain around the tire and using it as a winch to get out.

The old way is to put down boards and try to dig and put one under the tire and have ‘ground’ to get out.

The easiest way is to have someone else in a tractor and pull you out with a chain.

2 Likes

Caveat: I have never tried this!

4 Likes

If your tractor has a FEL you can use it to walk the tractor backwards as you drive in reverse.

17 Likes

Carpet scraps work great, or any old rugs you’re willing to get disgusting and then pressure wash later?

1 Like

This is my nightmare scenario, too. I have a very low spot that I use for composting manure as I’m hoping it will help raise the grade over time. I have almost gotten stuck a couple of times, so I feel your pain!

Using the front end loader as the fifth leg has worked for me too!

9 Likes

I sunk our tractor in a wet spot in the pasture last June. I used a spare fence board and some other 2x4 scraps to give it some leverage and traction and got it out that way. Essentially I laid the fence board down just behind the wheels to spread the weight out a bit, and then wedged the 2x4s in under the tires for some traction.

2 Likes

Side note to the heart of the thread, but any tractor with a FEL on it needs ballast weight on the back, or you will tear up front end components.

Filled tires help, but the leverage of having something sticking out the back is what will balance out that honker of a front end.

Wet ground and mud SUCK.

1 Like

Lol, phone your local farmer and ask him to pull you out. Nothing would make my husband happier than to use his “real tractor” to tug out what he calls a “toy tractor”. He would still be floating days later.

17 Likes

Oh I will try this!

1 Like

A 4WD truck and a chain will likely pull you free pretty quickly.

And the point earlier about using the differential lock pedal to engage drive on both rear wheels will help. Otherwise being in 4WD setting really only gives you 3WD.

3 Likes

NancyM and FitToBeTied for the win!!! I couldn’t walk it out with the loader but I could make a little progress and lift the front end enough to shovel out some of the muck underneath the front tires and replace it with spent shavings from the stalls. You wouldn’t think shavings would help but they do give you some traction in muck and red clay. Finally miraculously it slowly climbed out of the ditch!!! Never going there again!

I deserve something chocolate. Like raspberries marinated in raspberry liqueur on Talenti chocolate ice cream. Or on vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce.

So happy to get this out!!! More heavy rain predicted for Friday. I would never get it out.

26 Likes

I was going to suggest using boards under the FEL while using the bucket to raise the front of the tractor. I snowplowed too close to my ditch once and had to figure a way to use boards so the bucket had something higher to push against.

1 Like

You were really stuck.

5 Likes

VERY impressive escape! You go, girl!!!

6 Likes

Good for you! Be proud of yourself. And three cheers for everyone who chimed in with experiences and tips.

6 Likes

Just have to say WOW! You are tenacious!

1 Like