Unlimited access >

Trail Riding etc with an HIV Infected Person

Do you feel that a person who is HIV+ has a responsibility to inform those they ride with?

[This message was edited by Wild Filly on Jan. 29, 2003 at 04:12 PM.]

Robby, I’m a bottom line kind of gal, I don’t beat around the bush and I don’t like to hide things. This is just too painful, I can’t do it.

I’m sure that people with HIV deal with these issues all the time. I would discuss this issue with a HIV support group and go from there. There are probably on-line groups if you prefer to go the anonymous route.

I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you Moesha, you sound like you are very well educated in this area. You obviousley have great compassion and good advice. Thank you.
Whittman Walker Clinic is a lifesaver and helps anyone afflicted with this disease.
I didn’t know about the Equestrian AIDS Foundation, where would I get more info on them?

I’m thirsty anyway, so bring on the rain…JoDee Messina

Wild Filly,

Welcome! I’m fairly new here too.

I haven’t yet read the multiple pages of responses. So this response is merely my initial reaction to your question.

I would not hesitate to go trail riding with you for one second. But I would want to know about your medical condition. Not out of fear or prejudice, but merely so I could properly assist you should an emergency arise. I feel the same about your medical condition as I did my former college roommate’s condition. She was diabetic. It wasn’t a big deal, but I needed to be aware so I could properly handle any medical emergencies.

I don’t think you need to have a sit down conference and make a big announcement. It could just be a simple statement. Something along the lines of “Just in case there is a medical emergency, I am HIV positive. I carry a stocked first aid kit…” That’s how my roommate handled it. Just very matter of fact. This is who I am, and this is what you would need to know to help me.

I have a concern about the option of not saying anything unless an emergency arises. It was actually my first choice, but then I thought about it for a few minutes. What kinds of emergencies could occur? What if you aren’t able to communicate due to loss of consciousness?

Thank you for bringing up such an important subject!

Happy Trails!!

Hi Again Faith,

I responded to this thread about 5 pages back and after reading the balance of the thread just had to post again. I think your initial response that we would not acccept you was as far from the truth as it could get. I have not been a member that long, but one thing I have learned is that all the people on this board are great!!! Everybody supports everybody in good times and bad times. There have been little cat fights, but what “family” doesn’t have those sometimes, especially “families” with so many members and personalities. When times are bad everyone pulls together to make them better (see the Aiden threads for more proof of this).

I for one have added your address to my address book and if your are ever in the Metro Detroit area look me up (even if you don’t have your horsie with you, we have several at the barn that could use some excercise). You do realize that if you hooked up a trailer, loaded horsie in it and traveled across the country right now you would be able to ride in a different place with a different BBer for about two years straight. If you want to talk my e-mail address is ttldr@aol.com.

I also would have no problem with riding with you and/or helping you out in the event of a fall/injury. I ride with different people all the time and you can never tell by looking at a person what thier “HIV status” is, this being said, I always carry latex gloves in my saddle bags. This is a practice I started using when I worked at a rental stable for awhile, as you have the general public coming and renting horses on an hourly basis, the paperwork that is filled out does not ask about communicable diseases (as there are many more than just HIV that are spread by bodily fluids, i.e. Hepititis) and it is not a question that should be asked. I think it is great that you are willing to disclose this information, and it will seperate the true friends from the wanna be’s. Do you really want to be “friends” with someone who will run for the hills when you really need thier support? That isn’t really a true friend. I am the "good samaritan " type of person who has been know to stop at a traffic accident to help out in any way that I can and I don’t let fear rule my life.

Jetsmom, can I ask you a question?

Thanks Coreene, you guys are just fabulous! One thing that hasn’t been mentioned on this subject (that your email reminded me of) is when there is an accident with blood involved, that blood is infectious even if it is dry. Clean up after the accident is just as important as far as protecting yourself. A bottle of Clorox should be kept near by if possible. It is the only thing that kills the virus immediatly. And really you only need a solution of two parts water to one part clorox in a spray bottle or something. It’s hard to think of these things. You always have to be aware, not obsessed, just aware.

I’m thirsty anyway, so bring on the rain…JoDee Messina

[This message was edited by Wild Filly on Jan. 29, 2003 at 12:16 AM.]

[This message was edited by Wild Filly on Jan. 29, 2003 at 12:18 AM.]

Perhaps you are right.

The last (and only) time this happened in my presence (having been on horseback for over 30 years!) I grabbed what was handy-icky, sweaty bandana - and wrapped a bloody wrist - no contact on my part.

But, a reminder - the virus is spread via bodily fluid to an open host - i.e. another cut, abraded skin (I know I spelled that wrong), cuts in the mouth. I am skipping how it is spread via sex and needles because we are talking about riding here.

That being said, the legitmate worry would be if you were -God forbid-to stop breathing and somebody were to do mouth-to-mouth resucutation. So few people, unfortunately, know CPR that it is more likely that a cell phone would be employed here to call 911.

Wild filly: THANK YOU

Lisa
Save a life, be an organ donor

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Now, I am not starting anything, no flaming, but did any of you notice that a junior posted here and does not know how HIV is transmitted. Am I wrong to be bothered by this?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that was odd as well, and an interesting point to bring up.

HIV, Hep, and other diseases of that nature can be passed through blood and other bodily fluids such as saliva transferring through an open wound, sexual intercourse, blood transfusions, etc…

I feel that these kinds of diseases are so prevolent that most of us know someone who has them. That said, i always make sure i have latex gloves at the barn for injuries, not just for diseases but for prevention of regular infections to said person.

I admire your strength Wildfilly and you must not be ashamed or embarrased to tell people. But i do know that it can be embarrasing to announce your weaknesses.

I’m not comparing myself to you but i have been embarrassed a number of times about the fact that i have asthma. I know it doesn’t sound bad but when i was growing up, nobody had it. I felt very much the outsider and people were always saying “Don’t you think you should take it easy?”. It got irritating and i was humiliated at shows when people thought i placed badly because of my condition. (I was like "Heck, no. I placed bad because i suck! Just like everyone else!! Teehee…)

Good luck and i will also offer my email if you feel like ranting! spankew@rogers.com

Tis better to be silent and thought an idiot then to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

My horse has been my refuge from this disease. Even if I’m not up to riding, I love to just hang out with him. Horse’s are the best, one minute quiet as a mouse munchin on some hay and the next minute bucking rearing and fartin! I love when that happens, it’s so cool to watch. Anyway, I love him very much.

Hi I think it is very important to let people know in some way. I know you would be careful but some of us (me) don’t think about HIV and such when someone is hurt we just dive in. If you were unconcious and I didn’t know you but saw you get hurt I would be putting my life at risk. I know I am an idiot but I have done it before it’s a reflex to help without thinking “saftey first”. My friends are trying to cure me of it.

Would it be possible for the barn managment to send out a notice about administering first aid on the property with a warning that HIV is a reality in daily life and also at the barn so saftey precausions should be taken. aka latex gloves used and stored in a central location. I don’t know sounds good in theory.

Good Health to you!!

Edited to say You can come tail riding with me too.
p.s. Thanks for this post I think I will start carrying my own (human) first aid kit stocked with gloves.

[This message was edited by BumbleBee on Jan. 28, 2003 at 11:39 PM.]

This is a GOOD topic.

I am sure that it is very difficult to tell people this. But I think that you should tell the people you ride with. Not everyone at the barn but the people you are close to. There is a risk of infection. You would be welcome to ride with me anytime, but I’d want to know. The reason is that although it is wise to treat everyone as potentially positive, most people without medical training will just rush in and help. That is peoples’ first instinct usually and that is not a bad thing. But you would want them to take care to protect themselves while they were caring for you, I’d think. It sucks that this is something you have to worry about on top is all the other issues you are dealing with. I hope it goes well for you.

Hi wild Filly !! I would not tell anyone but is hiv ummmm can you catch it frm someone else?? sorry just wondering.

T I F F
http://www.readysetjumpit.com

kudos for coming out and talking about it, it needed to be said at some point and not ignored.

I’d ride with you any day.

What Backstage Pass said.

Do they have med-alert bracelets etc? for HIV+ people b/c that might be a good idea.

Welcome to the boards

Nothing fancy at all. I ride English, but keep to the trails. I have one horse who is very kind to me.

Thank you for responding. I appreciate it.