Unlimited access >

Trail Riding etc with an HIV Infected Person

As many have said, you’d be welcome to come riding with me anytime.

Personally, I think it would be best to tell the one person who you trust the most on each ride you go out on. And/or the medical armband is a good idea.

I admire people like yourself; you seem incredibly kind and optimistic despite the problems. Stay strong.

We ride and never worry about the fall …
I guess that’s just the cowboy in us all.
(Tim McGraw, “The Cowboy in Me”)

I carry a first aid kit with several pairs of gloves etc in it for someone to use in case they need to. I figure if I have them with me when it happens, it won’t be akward.

Hi Wild Filly! You’re so brave to bring this topic up, but I think it is very important to talk about.

Yes, I think if you are trailriding with someone they should know you are HIV positive - just in case you have an accident. That way anyone who responds to the accident can take appropriate precautions and treat you effectively.

I’m allergic to bee stings, so I tell everyone I go riding with. If I get stung, there is only a short amount of time to act. It’s important that the people around me know about this medical condition. I do ride with the bee sting kit on my belt.

If you’re ever in Vermont, would love to take you out on the trails. I’ve known many people with AIDS or are HIV positive. You’ll be in my meditations tonight. Bless you!

Hallie McEvoy
Racing Dreams, LLC

Thank you M! Whenever I have to tell someone, I usually physically get sick. When I had to tell my Dad, I was vomiting for three days, nonstop and ended up in the hospital.
You just never know how somone will react.

Rolex, your going to make me cry…THANK YOU

Good answers! You can certainly ride with me any time - of course, you would have to come to Ireland to do it…

I like the idea of carrying an emergency first aid kit with you on your trail rides - maybe you don’t have to tell everyone you are hiv+, instead, point out the first aid kit, so everyone KNOWS it is there.

A medical alert bracelet is a VERY good idea.

Good luck, and welcome to the boards.

This thread is a good reminder that we never know what other people are dealing with and suffering with and everyday. We all have struggles, some of us more than others but we all have to deal with what life throws at us. Let’s keep jingling real hard for Aiden, Dublin and all of us who are dealing with serious issues known and unknown.

Formerly greengrl

“We like to walk…”

[This message was edited by Treat Wench on Jan. 30, 2003 at 09:52 AM.]

Welcome to the BB, Wild Filly! I, also, have nothing more to add than has already been said…except that anyone who has an issue with people with chronic illnesses (of any kind) should go stifle themselves.

~Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed in this post are not neccessarily the views of this poster.~

There are no guarantees in this world. There are many, many people walking around who don’t know that they are already infected. Why should this be different? If you are going to help a person who is injured you need to follow basic rules of safety, which means you protect yourself from their blood and other bodily fluids. It shouldn’t matter if you know they have something or not.

No one should have to tell anyone. At least that’s my opinion, and I’ve had a very close friend die from AIDS/ARC.

It’s all about ME, ME, ME!!! (The only signature worthy of a real DQ.)

I guess I should introduce myself somewhat. I am HIV Positive and I ride. I want to know how people feel about it.

Wild Filly, if the discussion causes you too much pain…then don’t have it. The risk of transmission is so very low because not only would you have to be bleeding but the other person would have to have some point of entry. There are just so few scenarios that that seems likely as to make me think that you shouldn’t do anything that causes you so much stress. I’m not saying it’s not possible…but the chances are rather remote.

Every injury should be treated as if there is the potential for infection …perhaps you can suggest to the barn manager (and organize and set up) some safety/basic first aid “winter horsemanship” meetings that would cover that sort of education? Many high schools and colleges now have community service requirements for graduation…contact the local community college that offers EMT classes and see if someone will give a talk to your barn mates on basic first aid. Not only will it help educate EVERYONE on proper wound/emergency care, but the knowledge is just as applicable to horses as it is to humans, so it should be of interest to all.

Buy latex gloves and leave them in the lounge, by the ring, and in the barn’s first aid kit. If they are readily available, people WILL use them. (Of course, they’ll much more likely to get used up for sheath cleaning than anything related to you…but that’s to be expected! )

I used to be an EMT and we’re all trained in universal precautions and searching for medic alert tags and bracelets is part of that procedure. You should get one for emergency personnel (and they can be made to read how ever you want them). Other than that, I don’t see why those at the barn need to know unless you want to tell them. From my limited understanding of your illness (family member) an important part of your care is to minimize stress so your body is most efficient at fighting the disease. Since the telling is going to cause you so much unneeded stress, I’d vote that you don’t do it until you feel comfortable. Take precautions, carry your first aid kit, get a medic alert tag, carry your cell phone on your person at all time, but don’t add extra stress to your immune system by potentially making one of your refuges (the barn) an uncomfortable place. Keep the barn your place of comfort and serenity…hugs to you.

I have to agree that those you ride with should be aware of your HIV status. Just check out some of the accident threads for confirmation, LOL!

Having said that, I can’t imagine how that would change your barn life. Hopefully not at all, but people (even horse people) can be weird. Personally, I wouldn’t have an issue and would appreciate the honesty and courage it would take to make me aware and I would hope that your barnmates would feel the same!!

Oh, and welcome to the BB. Don’t worry if you don’t get overwhelmed with posts right away. Sometimes it takes people awhile to see the topic. There’s also the possibility that some may avoid it, based on the title, as having the potential to bring forth STRONG opinions. It initially struck me as a question of whether to ride with an HIV infected person and some may take it that way.

Wild Filly:

When I first read your initial post my first reation was to jump up on my left wing soap box and start in on you (I thought you had a problem with someone at your barn being HIV+ and felt you had the right to tell everyone else at the barn.) That’s me jumping to conclusions. Here where I ride basically everyone is very conservative, quite close minded. So I am very glad you put in your second post 'splaining!

That being said, you’ll know if you can tell someone at your barn and you’ll know when and who. If you have to ask (either us or yourself) then maybe not yet. I don’t know how long you’ve been riding with the people you currently ride with, but there will be a point where you’ll just feel comfortable enough to want to tell them if nothing else so that that one person can be the holder of that information and disseminate if necessary. I would hope that it should not make any difference at all to people, but there are the exceptions. A medic alert tag of some sort is always helpful no matter what “condition” it is alerting to.

Welcome to the board and let it be known that these are some of the most open minded “horse people” I have come across. Feel free to discuss, that’s what were here for. . .

~Bev

Finnegans Wake
Irish Sport Horse x Hanoverian
16.1hh
bay

Thank you everyone for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

Faith

I’m thirsty anyway, so bring on the rain…JoDee Messina

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kestrel:

One of my co-workers stuffed a pair of latex gloves in a film canister and gave one to each of us. You can easily do this for your purse, car, tack box, wherever. For those who know they would jump right in to help regardless of risk, you can buy a CPR mouthpiece from First Aid supply places.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a great idea. I’m going to put a canister with gloves in my glove compartment right next to my CPR nouthpiece.

In the truck is always my husbands EMT jump kit wo we’ve got everything there. Luckily, the times we’ve gone by accident scenes and have stopped it’s been in his truck.

(Then i’ll also have them the next time I want to pull a mane!!)

I admire your courage Faith. It must be very difficult to experience the fear involved in telling people. I’m glad that you are continuing to ride. Also, your concern for others potential exposure is laudable. Please do all you can to remain healthy and strong. We like to keep our members around here on COTH. See the threads on Aiden to view a tremendous outpouring of love.

Resident racing historian

You could wear a medical armband like the eventers wear. If someone asks just tell them it contains personal medical information and you are just being cautious. That way you don’t have to advertise to the world but the information would be there for someone who was treating you.

I wouldn’t have a problem riding with you.

I can be reached at stayin_alive_2000@yahoo.com, please feel free to contact me too.

I’m thirsty anyway, so bring on the rain…JoDee Messina

Wild Filly,

I responded by saying “Tell One Person”. That one person, having the information, may save your life if you are in an accident and cannot speak for yourself.

I know whereof I speak, and can also identify with RolexH. I have had Epilepsy since I was 27 (I am now VERY OLD ). The whole issue of “when to tell people”, has been tough, especially men I was dating. People are incredibly afraid of being around seizures. And I lost a lot of friends/dates when I did disclose it. (I ended up in a 7 year relationship with a doctor who was fine with it… I guess he had become inured to such things.)

So, if you begin to ride more with acquaintences and your good friend is not always there, I second the suggestion of a Medic Alert tag. It can be worn inside your clothes, so that everyone doesn’t ask about it. (I used to wear a medic alert tag on a necklace and virtual strangers would walk up to me and grab it and turn it over to see what it said – AMAZING! So now I just carry a card in my wallet.)

Its a tough decision. But as you can see, we support your quest for the best way to handle it.

PS: THis is the first time I have seen this thread and it is already 4 pages long. People were NOT avaoiding the issue, obviously!

Sweetie, you’ll know when you are ready and until then don’t add any more stress to your life than necessary! But do know that there are many who support you. Your HIV status does not define who you are to those worth your time. If you’re in San Diego, drop us a line!

~Bev

Finnegans Wake
Irish Sport Horse x Hanoverian
16.1hh
bay