Unlimited access >

Trainers for paras, disabled & special needs equestrians

Florida - Central Florida

Central Florida

I only teach “on the side” to those who have access to their own horses - we sold our farm 5 years ago.

Over 20yrs of teaching experience; lots of references available.

fcfinc@cfl.rr.com

Cyndi

Worcester, MA

I’ve taught special needs children (dyslexic, CP, autistic, etc) and adults with both mental and physical issues.
I specialize in dressage (my students have shown though second level), but many event.
I don’t have a facility, but have an indoor that I can use (in Harvard, MA) for a ring fee and I do travel.

Sarah
s l toppinatcomcastdotnet

North Denver Metro/Longmont, Colorado

OK, I’m in.

56 years with horses, 30 of those teaching and training with emphasis in dressage. Plenty of experience teaching people with fear issues (most of my students are middle-aged beginners or re-riders), some with physical or other issues, one is a #3 PARA dressage rider, due to be reclassified, as this was under the old system.

Sorry, though, no schoolies. I will travel.

I recently completed my training as a PATH instructor and am a Silver level PARA dressage coach.

To further update this posting, I am moving to Ocala, FL in a couple of months. Pretty sure you can’t throw a rock in any direction without hitting a PARA coach, but there you go!

1 Like

Central Virginia

My husband, Krister Swartz, has a student with cerebral palsy and has found her very rewarding to work with. We don’t have school horses at present, but do have an arena for trailer-ins and stalls for horses/riders in training short or long term, and he will travel within reason (we are between Charlottesville and Richmond). Our web site is manorminor.com.

I would be happy to work with disabled/para equestrians - adults are best, dressage, jumping, eventing at competitive levels. I have taught extensively at the beginning rider level and have an excellent grounding in basic dressage and jumping equitation. I have a sand outdoor with one lovely 25 year old school horse who loves to be ridden! There is another dressage trained Friesian gelding on the property also which can be used as an intermediate level rider’s school horse. Instruction here is private, and intimate and I am told my lessons are fun and focused! Those who are interested in competing fit well here. I am located about mid-state Delaware and work with students mostly on weekends. Usually more work is done in the spring, summer and fall - winter is not very much fun around here!
For more info you can click on my blog address in my signature, and go to the page about me.

SW Idaho

2 USEA level III instructors. Indoor, outdoor, grass jump field, small and not so small school horses available. Trailer in OK.

Some experience with challenged riders.

Carriage driving for the disabled

If anyone is interested in driving for the disabled, Gayla driving center in Georgetown, KY is the headquarters for USDFD. They have a fantastic indoor arena that is large and insulated ! plus it is a very safe environment to learn in. They have lesson horses and carriages modified to accomodate people with disabilities. Dana Banfield, husband of USDFD president, Debbie Banfield, is also a great mechanic and has come up with some very ingenious modifications for carriages. His latest modification was for a girl with no arms and he made modifications so she can drive by moving her shoulders.

for more info you can go to the website…

www.gayladrivingcenter.com

What an opportunity! Thanks Wendy! How are your beasties? Could you tell us about your driving? You have done so much.

Im a therapist and horse back riding instructor who is the coach of the UNCW team in NC. I work with physical and mental disabilities, and I have my own school horses.

UPDATES ANYONE

The Borrowed Freedom Program offers Recreational and Therapeutic Riding, Equine Facilitated Learning, and Hippotherapy (with Licensed Therapists) to riders throughout the Southern Tier and Central New York. Our program is tailored to the needs of the rider to provide the best experience possible.

Beginner through advanced instruction is available.

For more information please visit our website at www.borrowedfreedom.org

Keene, NH

Miracles in Motion is a non profit theraputic riding center in Keene, NH. We offer riding lessons to clients with physical, cognitive, emotional and social challenges as well as offering a lesson program for able bodied riders. We have a georgeous new facility with a huge mirrored indoor in Keene, NH. Please visit www.mimnh.org!

Oregon - Willamette Valley

Hi there everyone. I’m new to this forum (there will be another thread shortly as to why), but I’d like to add in what I have.

I myself and mildly disables and I teach students of all ages from first ride up through 1st/baby second level dressage and Training level eventing. From there I pass them on to my trainers. I am willing to teach and work with any disability. I do not have much (if anything) in the way of adaptive equipment for the physically disabled, though. I do have a good deal of experience working with mental and cognitive problems and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

I have a patient and kind schoolmaster (a therapeutic riding ceter flunkie :)) and I am willing to travel within a reasonable area as my schedule (I’m a senior at OSU) allows.

[QUOTE=Invite;4529995]
I figured this thread was worthy of another bump! Some of us, especially me, need all the help we can get :wink: Maybe with more people visiting this forum, we will have a larger number of trainers to list.[/QUOTE]

Good morning! I have a small facility in near Jackson, Mississippi, teaching basic horsemastership, flatwork through second level dressage, jumping, trail riding and basic driving. I also train a few horses, with their owners, each year. I am fortunate to have among my clients people with varying levels of challenge – physical, emotional and/or cognitive. Please feel free to contact me privately.

Central/Eastern NC

I used to have a horse at Summerlea Farm in Rocky Mount, NC. They have several lesson horses and will teach special needs kids. They’ve got one girl showing in regular saddlebred saddleseat classes who is deaf & has some other issues. She has done pretty well, all things considered.

I am in Northern California and have had a J/I Certificate since 1991.
I have helped many physically limited riders to keep on riding.
I have 44 years experience in the horse world and have had my saddlery for 23 years. I restore saddles of all kinds and do harness repair as well.
Any one who has a disability I am glad to help to ride.
I have built sidesaddles for those who can’t ride astride, both off side and near side and made a sidesaddle for a lady with MS that has a side-rail to keep her stable in the saddle.
Para-Dressage has interested me for some time.
Never give up as to riding. It is good therapy for everyone.
JMHO.
Sadlmakr

Northern Western Central New Jersey / Bucks County Pa

Due to spinal injury of my own, I can no longer ride myself, but I love to work one on one with riders using gentle communication methods to enhance the bond between horse and rider.

This keeps me involved with the sport, people and animals I love, without actually riding.

My discipline of choice has always been hunters, with a strong basis in dressage. I also have experience in driving both off road and within a urban environment; and as a Mounted Patrol Officer in New Brunswick, NJ.

At this point I utilize both towards the goal of having a pleasurable relationship and comfortable riding partnership for my students.

I work best with early stage horses and riders, giving them solid basics and confidence to move forward with a professional. Also I enjoy working with experienced horses and new riders, accommodating the physical needs of the horse and the learning curve of the rider. In the past my students have gone on to ride and show successfully.

I feel that anyone can learn to ride, and neither weight, nor age should affect that opportunity. As far as my limitations, I am not able to ride your horse for you, however we can lunge, round pen or long line your horse if that becomes necessary.

I do not work with unbroken horses, or New-to-riding students paired with extremely green horses. I can however, assist students and families in selecting new horses to suit their needs.

Philosophically I follow Jessica Jahiel’s Holistic Horsemanship books and work, focusing on safety first with the long term soundness of horse and rider as a primary goal. I require all my students to wear an approved helmet every single time they are on a horse, regardless of their age. I spent a significant amount of time as a volunteer at Somerset Hills Handicapped Riding Center and the Hunterdon County program; which changed ownership and became Dreams Come True, in Pittstown, NJ.

My rates are reasonable. If there is more than one rider on site who can schedule a group or sequential lesson the rates is lowered. I live in Milford NJ, 08848, and do not charge for mileage.

Please send me an email and I will try to answer any questions you might have!

Beth

helpful on what you are looking for in a person that can assist you and your horse-i

i wish to be able to help - have viewed the course & your courage with training and the horse also - competition creates pressure & living with disabilities -yes makes you work harder -But you get tired and need your strenght - not just to ride -for daily things. Riding and the experiance you get from riding and learning doesnt just affect you in your daily manner if gets you closer to yourself and your horse- remember your horse is never jugemental on how you are -so you should not be either- enjoy every ride - your horse feels a fly and shakes it off - but allows you to ride and commend it - strive for balance and free the rein - your horse will take you to the dream you created and added him in. love to assist for you to reach your goal with your parnter the horse xx
:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Invite;4472204]
Well, I have been thinking and this is an extremely dangerous thing :wink: I thought it would be great if we could have a thread which lists trainers who work well with and are willing to work with NQR riders.

Here are my thoughts:
-Put the state in the heading, as this will be much easier for those who are looking for their state or a nearby state.
-In the body of the message, put the trainer’s name, whether or not the trainer offers school horses and/or schoolmasters, as well as the trainers contact info. If a website is available, please include that, too.
-If the trainer has a specialty such as lunge lessons or working with certain disabilities, add that as well.

I think this could be really helpful. If you have a great trainer, please share! It is very hard to call a trainer and say,“Hi, my name is Beth and I’m disabled. Will you give me lessons?” I think knowing your disability will be accepted by the trainer makes a lot of the nervousness and pressure dissapate when you make the scary phone call.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your response :slight_smile: Your are very kind and thoughtful!

I used to volunteer with a therapeutic riding program and I’m starting my own lesson program (still in the sign up phase). I focus on biomechanics and horsemanship for the beginner riders and use Natural Horsemanship and Classical Dressage philosophies.