Unlimited access >

Trainers for paras, disabled & special needs equestrians

Oregon…

dO YOU need a student worker?

[QUOTE=Vegas Sky;5128534]
Hi there everyone. I’m new to this forum (there will be another thread shortly as to why), but I’d like to add in what I have.

I myself and mildly disables and I teach students of all ages from first ride up through 1st/baby second level dressage and Training level eventing. From there I pass them on to my trainers. I am willing to teach and work with any disability. I do not have much (if anything) in the way of adaptive equipment for the physically disabled, though. I do have a good deal of experience working with mental and cognitive problems and Autism Spectrum Disorders.

I have a patient and kind schoolmaster (a therapeutic riding ceter flunkie :)) and I am willing to travel within a reasonable area as my schedule (I’m a senior at OSU) allows.[/QUOTE]

Shout-out for my trainer!

Instruction in dressage/eventing/basic horsemanship. Instructor has a background in physical therapy. School horse available, or will travel to your facility. Email Ann kjos (at) gmail.com

Southern NH and surrounding areas

Currently I am working with disabled riders in the area. I do both lunge lessons and more advanced lessons off the lunge on the students’ horses.

My background includes competing in the NAYRC and many years competing at the FEI levels.

Please feel free to PM me if you would like to contact me.
Thanks! :slight_smile:

Harnett County - North Carolina / NC

I had a therapist back in Florida send a few of her patients out for horse back riding lessons (not therapy riding), among these was bi-polar, severe ADHD, OCD and general ‘at risk’ youth (kids with oppositional tendencies).

I’ve also worked with mild cerebral palsy and autism children.

On the adult side I’ve worked with replaced knees, fear, and students who started riding for weight issues. I have also started a handful of newbie riders that were 60+.

I’ve got a wonderful, wonderful lunge line horse (and pony) and have been lunging riders for over 20 years.

As long as your health care professionals clear you for equine activities and you can give me a little info on potential limitations I am very patient and non-judgmental (saying that mostly for parents who have children that don’t ‘behave’ like many people think children should) and am very willing to adjust our activities accordingly.

Safety and enjoyment are what is most important to me.

I do not have adaptive equipment or handicap facilities however.

I don’t get on COTH often, but you can use the link in my signature below.

[QUOTE=Beasmom;4533025]
OK, I’m in.

43 years with horses, 18 of those teaching and training with emphasis in dressage. Plenty of experience teaching people with fear issues (most of my students are middle-aged beginners or re-riders), some with physical or other issues.

Sorry, though, no schoolies. I do have access to an arena for trailer-ins and will travel.[/QUOTE]

Updating my own original post.

I’m no longer using the handle Beasmom and the email associated with it no longer works. I can be PM’ed as ThreeFigs.

Unfortunately, my BO is no longer accepting trailer-ins and is not friendly to disabled riders and their needs, but I’m still willing to drive to students.

If there’s anyone in the North Denver/Longmont Metro with a barn that would welcome riders with disabilities, I’d appreciate hearing about them! To clarify, I do know we have several therapeutic riding centers, but they don’t have programs for riders who want to compete as Para Equestrians, AFAIK.

PATH instructor and PARA Silver level dressage coach certifications.

Update to my update!

Now in Florida, Ocala area, retired from teaching/coaching.

1 Like

Greensboro, NC

I’ve been teaching riders with disabilities for nearly 8 years - wide range from autism, developmental delay, cystic fibrosis, ADD, ADHD, cerebral palsy, stroke victims, overweight, timid, etc.

I am PATH certified (Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship) and have recently “officially” begun my special abilities riding program, Kingdom Hearts Therapeutic Riding here at my farm, Equine Kingdom Riding Academy.

We integrate our special needs riders into the regular program rather than “setting them apart”. We have 13 awesome lesson horses of all levels, ages, and breeds that are just amazing and very trustworthy. We do not have any way to currently accept riders that are wheelchair bound or need a ramp, as we do not currently have a wheelchair ramp.

Looking forward to making some contacts here on COTH!!

1 Like

bump to get deleted spam thread title off of main forum page :slight_smile:

Help in the barn with a simple wheel barrow

Just going thru forums as new member and wanted to mention we purchased a tri willburrow kit for my friend that is handicap from www.ShopSpur.com and it was a huge help for him being able to do things in the barn. It made our wheel barrow like a walker for him to get around with. He could help clean stalls and also lean on this when needed to. It made it so you never picked up the wheel barrow again you pushed it … or again it was like a walker for him. Just and idea for the elderly or handicap person and thought I would share.

1 Like

OK, having started on page 3 of this thread I guess I have figured out what an NQR rider is, but I wish the thread had started off telling me so I would know for sure!

NQR = Not Quite Right

Covers a lot of territory.

[QUOTE=Wellspotted;7089547]
OK, having started on page 3 of this thread I guess I have figured out what an NQR rider is, but I wish the thread had started off telling me so I would know for sure![/QUOTE]

LOVE THIS!! OMG how did I not know about this? Just ordered, got my order confirmation email.

Thank You! And welcome to CoTH :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=rainydayrider;7089519]
Just going thru forums as new member and wanted to mention we purchased a tri willburrow kit for my friend that is handicap from www.ShopSpur.com and it was a huge help for him being able to do things in the barn. It made our wheel barrow like a walker for him to get around with. He could help clean stalls and also lean on this when needed to. It made it so you never picked up the wheel barrow again you pushed it … or again it was like a walker for him. Just and idea for the elderly or handicap person and thought I would share.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=HorsesRMyTherapy;7089752]
NQR = Not Quite Right

Covers a lot of territory.[/QUOTE]

Oh that is disgusting. I may not always “feel” quite right but if anyone labeled me NQR I would NOT appreciate it!

Not funny at all, folks. The idea for the thread is good; to refer to some riders as Not Quite Right is seriously offensive. If you want to call yourself that, OK; just don’t label the rest (even those you want to “help”).

Fl trainer

I am a disabled rider with MS and my trainer is SOOOO helpful to me. Dressage only, my left leg doesn’t work and left hand can’t grip well, so lateral work is tough. Her name is Joan Potter and she is in the Tampa area.

1 Like

Monroe, NC

I am a PATH International (professional association of therapeutic horsemanship) certified instructor. I have a small program offering lessons to children and adults with “special needs”. We have recently just opened so at this time I still do not have a wheelchair ramp and can not accommodate wheelchairs yet. The barn I work out of also has a lesson program for able bodied riders. We have school horses on site that are awesome. You can check out my website at www.jerichosgift.com. We have both covered and uncovered rings.

1 Like

I agree with you. I’m looking for a trainer.
I live in Dallas,Texas.
I have my own horse and ride in western pleasure. I have since I was 18 I am now 33. When I got my horse he was 6 he is now 18. My trainer has been passed away for several years now and I just cant find the right person to help me. Or I might not have the courage to ask for help.
I want to go to bigger open show this year 2015. Am trying to get sponsorships and donations to be able to go. If anyone can help in anyway I would appreciate it a lot.

My name is Jamie Dowdy. I am 33 years old and have a disability called Cerebral Palsy and PTSD which affects my whole body. Because of this I use my wheelchair/motorized wheelchair to get around in. I am a Veterinary Tech Assistant but am not able to work because of my SSI and Medicaid. Because of this I cannot work but I do go volunteer at the “Forney Vets Office” and the “Terrell Animal Shelter” when I am able.
I have a horse of my own, a paint gelding named Billy Ray Scribbles. He is 20 years old. I have had him since he was 6 years old. I have trained him to do everything he knows because I don’t ride like everyone else. He is trained voice command. I use my legs but not much like everyone else. When I ride I have to wear a seat-belt attached to my saddle because I have no leg strength to hold on with. When I was in high-school I rode in high-school rodeo and play days.

Now I ride in open horse shows. I show in Trail and Western Pleasure. I want to start showing in bigger open shows and meet new people like myself that ride. I would like to be able to show at the Paralympics one day. The last couple years I have not been able to ride due to health issues. This year I pray that God lets me have a better year and that I may get a new truck and trailer.

To be able to do all of this I will need some help from you. These are only a few of the things I will need to be able to attend one horse show.

For my horse “Billy Ray Scribbles”:
2 Bags Feed & 2 Bales Hay = $55.00
Stall x 3 days = $25.00 a day =$75.00
Grooming Supplies= $50.00
Shoeing= $75.00

Things for Myself and my Mom cause I can’t go by myself.
Food= $25.00 x 3 days=$150.00
Gas= Not sure?, My vehicle is old and I am pulling a horse trailer. $150.00 at the most we are going to be gone 3 days.
Hotel= $55.00 a night x 3= $165.00

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope you will be able and willing to help me even if it is just a little something. I would be very grateful for any help given.

Thank you,
Jamie Dowdy
2004 River Brk
Heartland,Tx.75126
scribblesvince@gmail.com
469-417-8103
Jamie Dowdy

looking for a working student type position for Para Dressage rider, my goal is to compete internationally. I have Chiari Malformation and Ehlers Danlos but am fully capable of working and helping around the barn. Anyone willing to help?

I am looking for a therapeutic riding program in Northern Virginia, within 20 miles of Bristow (Manassas), that can provide lessons for a 28 year old adult with a mental health diagnosis. There is one, Rainbow Therapeutic Center, but it looks like they provide services primarily to children. There is another one in Clifton VA but I do not have information yet.

Here is the one in Clifton: http://nvtrp.org

I’m in Coweta County Georgia, and have a small lesson program with two lesson horses. I teach Special Needs kids - most are Autistic, ADD, SPD, etc. though I do have some with Dyspraxia, Scoliosis, etc.

My FB page is: https://www.facebook.com/anchoredhopefarm/

This is a good idea! I love it!