Unlimited access >

Trying to educate my eye

I can see why!! I kind of love him too. Would his younger self be what I chose for myself as a serious GP prospect? Probably not. My last GP horse was long-backed/not uphill and was better at PSG/I-1 than GP, so I want an upgrade next time. (I also would not breed for this cross specifically because of the F1 issues others have mentioned.) But for most riders looking for a fun partner to go up the levels with…hell yeah.

1 Like

I’ve seen nicer horses of this cross, tbh. I don’t like the shape of his neck, his canter is tight/almost four beat at times, and the hackney really comes through with the up/down of his gait. I’ve seen Clydesdales with that up/down gait and very straight and close hind legs. Usually if I’m going to cross something for the purpose of dressage I’d want to cancel that out. But, as said, he obviously did well and looked cool doing it.

I’m not sure anyone would have chosen him as a GP prospect either lol. He was an Amish carriage horse reject and as a youngster he was more than a little crazy. Firecracker hot. If I remember correctly he was acquired as a potential school horse or flip project, not a future dressage star. He kept on surprising everyone as he moved up the levels year after year. He consistently scored into the 60’s at GP in national shows, both with his pro trainer and ammy owner, which is no small feat even for a fancy warmblood and ammy rider. He really is the coolest guy. Still hot hot hot!

10 Likes

Funny thing, Jeremy Steinberg just purchased a 4yo Hackney-Clyde and says he is planning to keep him and share videos as he develops. So you might want to follow him on FB/YouTube.

3 Likes

I just saw that and was going to share here! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VqTVrUbk7SA&fbclid=IwAR0Q9C_RX59_LQhErjSUoUlH0eekTzXnYwruVGJQAfV09uP3HY-mnrMMDos

2 Likes

I hope it’s ok I posted the link. I suspected it was Canadian because of the Henry insurance sign.

1 Like

Oh so cool! Thank you!

@BigMama1 - if the one at your barn is still super hot at 22 I may just be scratching them off my list :smiley:

1 Like

I finally looked at the video and he is way nicer than I imagined!!

1 Like

Hot but not silly - just always eager to go and do his job. His owner still rides him and he’s also teaching another ammy how to ride the FEI levels.

You need a big forward to get past First Level. And a big forward helps horses stay more active into old age.

3 Likes

The caption on the video says clyde x DHH

You’re right. Read it first thing when I woke up this morning.

1 Like

Yeah, I think you use hot the way I do - energetic and self motivated. It is SO much easier to ride a horse with enthusiasm! Many people use hot as stupid and overreacting to everything, so a negative.

3 Likes

In his younger years there was plenty of over-reacting lol but I think dressage helps channel that energy for good. He went from crazy hot to fun hot

3 Likes

does he clip his hind hooves?

… and avoid injury.

3 Likes

First post in this forum. I happen to be the owner and rider of this horse and have been for almost 20 years.

The video is almost a decade old. Since then he has been shown at grand prix with both my coach and me. He has no physical difficulty with any movements and has received up to 9s on his pirouettes. Typically they are 7s. It took him a while to figure out piaffe and passage but once he did he never forgot it. Recently he cliniced with an olympic rider to improve his passage and she could not keep the smile off her face while she rode him. He is bored to death by low level dressage and likes nothing better than doing a row of tempis.

There seems to be some concern about the limitations of his cow hocks. Yes he is cow hocked. Really cow hocked. He piaffes like a supermodel on a catwalk. Not once has he been marked down for it. He knows exactly where his feet need to be.

At almost 23 he needs no maintenance. At 21 he was flexed for his well-horse examination and flexed like a 4 year old.

I am not saying this is typical for a draft cross. It isn’t. But the fact is that he ‘easily achieves the movements’ and that ‘avoiding injury’ has never been an issue.and those who have expressed their concern can stop worrying.

31 Likes

If your aim is to have your next “lifer” - or “long hauler” as you put it - I would focus on the individual horse and not the breed or cross itself.

Agreed, especially if you are looking at “off breeds”. And work with a trainer who has trained horses to the level you aspire to, or higher. There are plenty of horses without the “right” characteristics who have made it to the upper levels because they have received good training and have the willingness to do the work.

It’s easy to look at video or even horses at a show and nitpick their conformation, movement etc but that won’t help you find a horse that will work for you, especially if you are on a budget. Work with a good trainer who understands your goals, your strengths as a rider, and can help you navigate the compromises you will have to make based on budget.

2 Likes

Congratulations on owning such a lovely and special horse. He definitely proves one of my standard responses, that any horse can do dressage and that a good mind and good training can take a horse all the way up the levels. Yours is a poster boy for a non-WB doing very well.

In my defence, OP asked a general question about ‘training her eye’ and I responded to that question.

8 Likes

Yeah this horse is horrible… send him to me and I’ll clone him :rofl: like 100x

I’ve trained a heavy perch/TB cross to I1 and he schools all the GP. Owner didn’t want to push him to go the GP as he has a stifle with little cartilage left and the canter piourettes can really make him sore. I can teach a beginner to post one day and someone else the tempi’s the next.

He’s a freaking saint. I picked him out for my client as a 4yr old and I’d buy him again today over and over again! I’d buy the one in the video as well and prob would have been happy with him as a youngster as well (although I like them smaller these days!)

The horse in the video looks better then a lot of purpose bred horses out there at I1. If the mechanics of the gait are good and the brain wants to learn and work with you, buy the horse and find the very best trainer, who loves horses like this, you can find.

5 Likes