Unlimited access >

Turnout and Etiquette: let's have a conversation!!!

For some odd reason, I am a stickler for the rules in hunting etc. I am so NOT a stickler outside of horses (I am luck if my shoes match and my buttons are lined up when I arrive at the office).

So what is with the non-velvet helmets we see out hunting these days??? Aaaaarrrrggghhhhh! I have a Charles Owen Silver Skull Cap but I’ll be darned if I am going to show up hunting wearing that thing! Don’t the rules all for a velvet helmet?

And where the heck are the velvet helmets with the ribbons pointed UP for members of the field??? Don’t the helmet manufacturers realize that the only proper use of a ribbon-down helmet is for staff and master???

So last night, I gingerly removed the ribbon off my new helmet and then glued it (note to self: crazy glue is best administered with gloves) ribbon pointed UP, clamped it, and fixed the bugger.

There are so many other picky details that are part of the required rules… Some have always been broken (I plan to ride my youngster at the very back of 2nd field tomorrow so as to avoid someone running up his tail as he will undoubtedly be preoccupied with watching and listening to the hounds.

I grew up hunting but stopped for the past 3-4 years only because I did not have time to manage both upper level event horses AND hunting. A few months ago, I made the decision to step down from upper level competition and focus on young horses and enjoying my time with them. I have sold six horses over the past 11 months and now have two warmbloods. One is a 5 year old ISH who was imported about a year ago. I’ve taken him to a couple of trail rides and I am SO FRIGGIN EXCITED to be taking him out tomorrow cubbing (if the alarm goes off properly).

As far as written rules of attire are concerned, I think there’s more variability these days. Regarding helmets specifically, I think some hunts would rather see riders in approved helmets than hunt caps even if the approved helmets are not velvet. Of course you can (and I do) wear a velvet helmet that is approved, but if someone shows up with a hard-shell helmet I doubt most hunts would tell them to take it off. Speak to them quietly later, quite possibly.

A secondary issue which I think leads to some “relaxation” of the traditional rules is money. Not the riders’ money but the hunts’ money. It appears to me that many hunts are always seeking more members and don’t want to scare people away by being too nit-picky. I sympathize with the hunt masters who wrestle with such matters. It seems impossible to please everyone.

Ultimately for me, it’s about beautiful days like today, eager hounds, happy horses and sporting foxes! Have a great day tomorrow!!!

If your hunt (which, ahem, I think is my hunt!) is more worried about which (black) cover you select for your helmet, rather than your tidiness, cleanliness, kindness, well-mannered, well-trained, well-prepped, fit horse and your smiling face, they’re worried about the wrong thing.

Furthermore, the so-called “Rules” were invented BEFORE SCIENCE KNEW ANYTHING ABOUT BRAIN TRAUMA.
And more, the “Rules” were created to control the proletariat – a bit like an all-covering burka in my opinion.
I, as field master, am FAR more concerned that someone either:
a.) shows up tidy, clean, well-prepped, knowledgable about general hunting nuances, smiling and eager to enjoy sport with horse and hound,
or
b.) is smiling and eager to LEARN about it.
I could give two figs if you have on a skull cap or velvet top hat.
I wear my jockey’s racing helmet, same brand (Champion) that SAVED. MY. LIFE. 20 years ago in a crashing steeplechase fall that left me In A Coma for a week – I would have been instantly killed were it not for the fortitude and excellent fit (to my head shape) of that helmet.
I have a traditional black cover in a nod to tradition.
But I know perfectly well that if the Founding Fathers had the scientific info we have available today about TBI and safety etc. that they would have decreed that Everyone Must Wear A Champion Skull Cap in the hunt field, not some doufy decree that a velvet cap was de rigeur.

More important than what you wear is how you and your horse comport yourselves in the field.

There are a few pet peeves of mine and these are actually usually problems with the longer term members of the field.

1. If you are on a slower horse slot yourself appropriately in the field. I don’t care if you’ve been with the hunt 30 years, move that plow horse out of the way when the hounds are running.

2. When you are checked up on a trail, stand single file and all on the same side of the trail. There is nothing like coming back down a trail when whipping in and finding the entire field blocking the trail.

3. If you have to hunt your horse that might kick, put a red ribbon in its tail and make sure you are at the back of the field.

4. Be honest about your abilities and your horse’s abilities. There is nothing more frustrating then watching someone attempting the same coop over and over again. If your horse is a bad jumper maybe you should be in the second flight.

5. Keep up! It is really frustrating to have to ride back down trails to find people who decided keeping up wasn’t important and then got lost.

One attractive thing about fox hunting and turnout is “less is more”. I drool over the horse’s who need nothing more than a saddle and bridle to be safe in the field. I have to use a running martingale with my own mare. :frowning:

My hunts policy is wear a ASTM approved helmet so that will be velvet covered for some members and non-velvet for others. Safety vest are also allowed and members use both types- the traditional and the air vest style.

I enjoy seeing the hunt horses with nice pulled manes. Sometimes I twitch when owners haven’t been able to tidy up their horse’s mane but that is just my issue. :slight_smile: I think it is nice when the hunt club horses turnout is different than the average trail riding horse, shows respect.

When I went hunting for the first time, I went out and bought an approved velvet huntcap. I only use it for hunting and for certain horse shows. Although I saw lots of different types of helmets in the field, I wanted to be as traditional as possible. Besides, it was an excuse to go shopping, buy some nice shirts and stock ties too, etc.

I also saw a wide variety of jackets and breeches, but what I remember most is just that everyone was dressed very neatly.

General etiquette I think is more of an issue sometimes than clothing is. Some people took their cellphones with them and did not turn them off!!! Imagine a phone going off at a check. Very embarassing not to mention distracting.

There’s a crazy amount of information online

http://www.mfha.org/foxhunting-etiquette.html
http://www.mfha.org/foxhunting-attire.html
http://www.mfha.org/docs/attiresuggestions-guidebook2008.pdf
http://www.mfha.org/docs/guidebooks/introtofoxhunting2013.pdf

http://www.horsecountrylife.com/catalog/turnout.html

http://www.losaltoshounds.org/hunting-protocol.html
http://www.losaltoshounds.org/uploads/1/1/4/9/11490692/lahguidelines1.pdf

http://www.redrockhounds.com/hunting-etiquette.html

http://www.syvhounds.com/rules.html
http://www.syvhounds.com/dress.html
http://www.syvhounds.com/horsemanship.html

http://blueridgehunt.org/wp/information/hunt-etiquette/

http://www.keswickhuntclub.com/fox-hunting/

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByxGB3WnFfxUOTdhY2U4YzItN2U0Ni00OGU1LWI5MWMtYWU2Zjg2YmU0NDJj/edit?ddrp=1&pli=1&hl=en

I love dressing nicely for hunting and I love the look of velvet helmets, but I’m sorry, the safety of my brain comes first! I have a helmet that fits me very well that does not come in a traditional velvet option. In fact, there are many more tasteful non-velvet helmets than velvet helmets out there these days. Good helmets are a decent chunk of change, so I don’t think it makes sense to make people with respectable appearing black helmets feel like they need to buy a second helmet for the hunt field. I also think it could cause some people to go out and buy something less safe or less well-fitted specifically for the hunt field. So overall, no, I don’t think that hunts should get too much into telling people which protective helmet to wear.

Don’t get me wrong Winding Down, I think it’s adorable that you were re-gluing the ribbon on your helmet. But I’m going to vote with Hunter’s Rest and FitToBeTied. Fashion details come second to a lot of other important things. Plus, there’s generally no polite way to go around being the fashion police, so that activity should be reserved for addressing more serious and deliberate fashion crimes.

ooopsie dooooodle

Hey all, the velvet helmets nowadays ARE ASTM APPROVED! I would not ever step up on a horse without a secure approved helmet. I have suffered falls in which I may have died if for not wearing a helmet.

I applaud those hunts who actually require an approved helmet. Research has not found a difference in the safety among the more to less expensive helmets.

Soooo… I used a not good example of etiquette and shoot, I wish I had begun with a different example (ah… colored square pads or talking on a cellphone).

FitToBeTied, love your list!!!
2Foals, wish I were adorable! :lol:

Happy Hunting All and see you in a couple of hours, Hunters Rest!

Adding to the list.

1. Be able to get and off your horse in the field. It is very rude to not share in getting gates, riders, etc. because you can’t or won’t dismount to get a gate because poopsie won’t stand still. Said by the person who got all the gates during one hunt.

2. Be nice to the juniors they are the future. It really irritates me when members of the hunt won’t hunt on Junior day. Guess what? Those juniors ride better than you do.

[QUOTE=FitToBeTied;7738640]
Adding to the list.

1. Be able to get and off your horse in the field. It is very rude to not share in getting gates, riders, etc. because you can’t or won’t dismount to get a gate because poopsie won’t stand still. Said by the person who got all the gates during one hunt.[/QUOTE]

I wholeheartedly agree with this one but some of us really cannot get on without a mounting block (seriously, there is NO way I could get my foot up to the stirrup of my big guy). I used to hunt a 17.3 hd horse and I got gates with him whenever I could see a rock or fence to use to get back on. Once dropped a glove in the middle of a large field and someone was kind enough to offer to get off and retrieve it for me. Embarrassing moment, for sure.

[QUOTE=FitToBeTied;7738640]
It really irritates me when members of the hunt won’t hunt on Junior day. Guess what? Those juniors ride better than you do.[/QUOTE]

LOL. Exactly why some won’t show up to hunt with the juniors.

A huge problem here is the chatter in the hilltopper group, in particular. For the love of little green apples, people, it’s not a trail ride. A staff member shouldn’t have to bellow to get your attention, and then wait for you to wake up and sort yourselves out and eventually stop blocking a path wide enough for four horses to go abreast. That’s behavior to save for the tea–utterly disrespectful in the hunt field.

On getting gates, here are 2 options if you are on a tall horse:

1. Teach him/her to allow you to open and close gates from horseback.

2. Get off, get the gate, then use the gate to get back on your horse. Again requires training your horse to move close to the gate to allow you to mount safely.

I have taught all of my horses to do both, even the 14.1 hd lg pony.

How ticky are hunts about attire? There is one not to far from me and I would love to go as a capper one day but my jacket is navy blue and they say black. Would I need to buy a new jacket?

[QUOTE=Kodiak;7738657]
LOL. Exactly why some won’t show up to hunt with the juniors.

A huge problem here is the chatter in the hilltopper group, in particular. For the love of little green apples, people, it’s not a trail ride. A staff member shouldn’t have to bellow to get your attention, and then wait for you to wake up and sort yourselves out and eventually stop blocking a path wide enough for four horses to go abreast. That’s behavior to save for the tea–utterly disrespectful in the hunt field.[/QUOTE]

You need a nazi fieldmaster to solve that problem.

[QUOTE=Luseride;7739208]
How ticky are hunts about attire? There is one not to far from me and I would love to go as a capper one day but my jacket is navy blue and they say black. Would I need to buy a new jacket?[/QUOTE]

many do allow navy and I bet you would be okay. You can always call and ask?

So I’ve not hunted in awhile and I last hunted with the hunt I went out with today over 10 years ago. I noticed that there are 25% or more non-velvet helmets soooo… that is just fine. I think that the attire rules have changed a bit to accommodate more folks.

It was a terrific outing! Three flights, well-attended and there’s great reason why. Everyone was VERY friendly and enthusiastic, most had big smiles, and the territory was awesome. Got to see a bunch of folks I’ve not seen in several years and it was hard to hold my talk until the lovely breakfast afterwards. I am actually considering canceling cross-country schooling on Monday, and going hunting instead!!!

Back on topic for this thread: I was very impressed with etiquette in the field. I saw NO horses rear-ending those in front of them; riders were very good about reversing; and really no (loud) chatter at the checks.

Smiles all around!

[QUOTE=Kodiak;7738657]

A huge problem here is the chatter in the hilltopper group, in particular. For the love of little green apples, people, it’s not a trail ride. A staff member shouldn’t have to bellow to get your attention, and then wait for you to wake up and sort yourselves out and eventually stop blocking a path wide enough for four horses to go abreast. That’s behavior to save for the tea–utterly disrespectful in the hunt field.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps some variant on citizen arrest :mad: Like if enough people whisper that they don’t think you’re supposed to be talking?

[QUOTE=Luseride;7739208]
How ticky are hunts about attire? There is one not to far from me and I would love to go as a capper one day but my jacket is navy blue and they say black. Would I need to buy a new jacket?[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure Wadsworth says navy is fine, so I am always surprised at the number of hunts that say black only. But even if they say black, I bet many/most would be flexible with a visitor, esp if you call ahead and ask???