Unlimited access >

Turnout and Etiquette: let's have a conversation!!!

[QUOTE=Winding Down;7739318]
many do allow navy and I bet you would be okay. You can always call and ask?[/QUOTE]

I will call. A friend knows someone in the hunt and she is going to get me contact information.

As an aside, I’ve heard there are some hunts that are so strict about attire that you can’t wear boots with zippers. I don’t know if that’s an urban legend that keeps getting bigger with each telling or not. Anyone know?

I HATE boots with zippers. I need new boots and have been looking for over a year with no success.

They are not a no no at my hunt, but when you are crossing some of the creeks a solid boot is appreciated.

Due to an injury to my ankle many years ago I cannot get into tall boots without a zipper. I’ve crossed plenty of creeks and rivers with no problem. A no zipper rule falls into that classification of clothing nazis by a hunt.

[QUOTE=FitToBeTied;7740043]
Due to an injury to my ankle many years ago I cannot get into tall boots without a zipper. I’ve crossed plenty of creeks and rivers with no problem. A no zipper rule falls into that classification of clothing nazis by a hunt.[/QUOTE]

I agree. That is just ridiculous. Also, in the “olden” days (as in almost 50 years ago), you never saw field boots on formal days. Now they are everywhere and I suppose that is because they are much more common. I do not recall black field boots back in the day. I would hope that most hunts would allow black field boots because boots are VERY expensive and it is difficult to find dress boots off the shelf.

That being said, yours truly has dredged out her 20 year old Dehner Dress Boots to rehab and wear this season! :stuck_out_tongue: They have a few mouse chews on the soles but that isn’t mentioned in Wadsworth!

[QUOTE=Luseride;7739783]
I HATE boots with zippers. I need new boots and have been looking for over a year with no success.[/QUOTE]

Boots without zippers are all over eBay because retailers can’t sell them.

I think the most important thing, when it comes to attire and how picky particular hunts are, is to just ASK. I do find that most hunts are just happy to have fresh blood and are more relaxed about things (at least for guests and new members), but I also know some hunts are a lot more formal about life than others. The hunt that I spent a lot of time with in MD usually allows for conservative polos during early cubbing season (and I think I know of at least one other that does the same), but it seems a lot more of the hunts in my general area now want you out in proper ratcatcher attire, even if it is 90 degrees and a million percent humidity!

So, I think, while anyone interested in hunting should educate themselves on proper attire, appointments, and etiquette (and, seriously. Proper attire alone sometimes makes you feel like you need a masters degree to keep up with!), it should always be safe and welcomed to ask questions for clarification (and if a hunt doesn’t welcome questions, then it probably isn’t a hunt I’d want to spend time with!).

[QUOTE=Winding Down;7740107]
Boots without zippers are all over eBay because retailers can’t sell them.[/QUOTE]

Not in a seven xwide. Believe me, I have been looking. My last show a couple of weeks ago was with duct tape holding the sole of my left boot on. They have been repaired so much they can not be repaired again.

[QUOTE=yellowbritches;7740243]
I think the most important thing, when it comes to attire and how picky particular hunts are, is to just ASK. I do find that most hunts are just happy to have fresh blood and are more relaxed about things (at least for guests and new members), but I also know some hunts are a lot more formal about life than others. The hunt that I spent a lot of time with in MD usually allows for conservative polos during early cubbing season (and I think I know of at least one other that does the same), but it seems a lot more of the hunts in my general area now want you out in proper ratcatcher attire, even if it is 90 degrees and a million percent humidity!

So, I think, while anyone interested in hunting should educate themselves on proper attire, appointments, and etiquette (and, seriously. Proper attire alone sometimes makes you feel like you need a masters degree to keep up with!), it should always be safe and welcomed to ask questions for clarification (and if a hunt doesn’t welcome questions, then it probably isn’t a hunt I’d want to spend time with!).[/QUOTE]

Well said, ole friend!

I personally am more annoyed with dirty horses, tack, clothing, unpulled manes, hair flying here and there, and all that. For cripes sake, hairnets, pulling combs and saddle soap are affordable. I think of tidiness as being a way of paying respect to the hunt, but I’m a crabby olde thang sooo…

PS. those Dehners are looking great. They are cleaned and now dredging in their first coat of polish and a few more buffs and polish should render them as good as new. I purchased them in 1990 so they are 25 years old. They’ve been professionally refurbished twice but dang those suckers are in friggin good condition.

WD:

"I personally am more annoyed with . . . "

Yes, but speaking for myself, it’s more rewarding to shrug it off and enjoy the day. If I could make it all “perfect” I would, but I won’t let my imperfections or others’ detract from my fun any more!

-HP

P.S. To YB, yes that was well said!

The great thing about hunting here in Virginia is there are about as many hunts as there are 7-11’s. While all the hunts do basically the same thing, they all do it somewhat differently. To really enjoy hunting you need to find the hunt that fits you best.

[QUOTE=Huntin’ Pony;7740485]
WD:

If I could make it all “perfect” I would, but I won’t let my imperfections or others’ detract from my fun any more!

-HP
![/QUOTE]

Oh my. I wouldn’t either!

Try hunting in WA after hunting in VA forever…etiquette nazis would KEEL OVER.
Forget about cubbing season. Forget about velvet helmets, ribbons up, correct glove color, field vs dress boots, flat vs rolled tack.

They have people in cowboy hats, full length oilcloths and western saddles tagging along. Fully support for roading hounds or in the summer, but for formal season?! Umm…

In our hunt no one cares what helmet you waer as long as its a good one, that will protect your head. We are now even asked to wear bracelets with our medical information, similar to what event riders have, incase we are injurd out hunting. But be on time to the meet, and be otherwise clean and properly turned out.

[QUOTE=La Chasse;7740929]
Try hunting in WA after hunting in VA forever…etiquette nazis would KEEL OVER.
Forget about cubbing season. Forget about velvet helmets, ribbons up, correct glove color, field vs dress boots, flat vs rolled tack.

They have people in cowboy hats, full length oilcloths and western saddles tagging along. Fully support for roading hounds or in the summer, but for formal season?! Umm…[/QUOTE]

You too??? In the Oklahoma/Kansas areas, hunting with cowboys on ranch horses is not unusual!! Our hunts welcome all comers!!! And I’ve seen staff and even the Master hunting a horse with burdocks packed in the mane and tail. No one mentioned it or even dropped dead in shock!!

For what it’s worth every hunt has their own interpretation of the rules so don’t think what you read on here is going to apply at the hunt you’re going to. When in doubt contact the hunt secretary and ask for a copy of that particular hunt’s dress code. In our hunt we are quite conservative with the dress rules however we extend quite a bit of leeway for a guest. We don’t expect someone who hasn’t made the commitment to our hunt to fork over the big bucks for all the appropriate clothing and tack.

I think inevitably we all have something that gives us a bit of an eye twitch. Skunk stripe helmets for some, no hair nets for others.

For me it has got to be the white square/dressage pad.

I love the turnout for hunting! It’s a lovely part of the “discipline”, otherwise it looks as if you’re just going on a trail ride with dogs. So, while those people who are capping in, or just starting should be welcome with open arms in whatever safe tack they have, I think if you are really keen to be a foxhunter you have the gear and the clothing appropriate for the sport (MFHA has a nice “guideline”).

I was having a converstion with some folks and mentioned that I have a pattern for jodhpurs (ok, I really call them puffy pants. As in: Lookit Teddy Roosevelt rockin the puffy pants!) and plan to sew some for riding (whenever I ride in public again)(:: sad sigh :: of the one-step-forward-two-steps-back equestrian).

They were horrified! You can’t wear them eventing, they’ll make you look fat. And they aren’t in. You can’t wear them hunting, they’ll make you look fat…You can’t wear them show jumping…you can’t wear them…you can’t wear them.

Look, I’m fat. Everything makes me look fat because :: shrugs :: yeah.

And [f-bomb] fashion and what’s in.

If my jumping or eventing scores suffer because I’m in the puffy pants, so be it.

If I’m shunned by the social set, well, story of my life.

Because puffy pants are comfy (at least my non-riding ones are). And because if Teddy Roosevelt could rock them–and he could–so can I!

But (there’s always a big but) ( :wink: ) I don’t really thumb my nose at being shunned by foxhunters.

So judge me over my pearls and boa and flask of mimosas and not over my puffy pants.

Please, Sweetie Dahlings?

[QUOTE=ISR;7742415]
I think inevitably we all have something that gives us a bit of an eye twitch. Skunk stripe helmets for some, no hair nets for others.

For me it has got to be the white square/dressage pad.

I love the turnout for hunting! It’s a lovely part of the “discipline”, otherwise it looks as if you’re just going on a trail ride with dogs. So, while those people who are capping in, or just starting should be welcome with open arms in whatever safe tack they have, I think if you are really keen to be a foxhunter you have the gear and the clothing appropriate for the sport (MFHA has a nice “guideline”).[/QUOTE]

ISR, I am with you on this! A big part of fox hunting is tradition. The appointments have become more lax over the years but I hate to see the turnout of future generations morph into pink helmet covers and bling. There was a day and time where it it was a no-no to have a bridle that buckled onto the bit. Well, my last “sewn-in” bit bridle bit the dust a decade ago and I sure am not going to replace it.

But I do love getting spiffed up and feeling proper. I hope we can teach our youth, who will our masters of the future, that etiquette and dress codes are an essential part of foxhunting. It costs very little to follow the rules, other than getting up earlier and having your horse and self presentable. Having a fit and shiny horse takes some time and effort but it is worth it IMHO.

And I don’t think there is an “either” “or” here. We do not have to be perfect, but we can at least strive to be proper.

Says she who is searching for a pair of matching socks for the office, LOL.