Unlimited access >

Turnout and Etiquette: let's have a conversation!!!

I’ve thought about this for a couple of days and will now jump in! Like the OP, I love the traditional look and turnout and strive to achieve it myself with my hunter every single hunt regardless of weather. I assume others are trying too, but if there is a misstep by another member, I assume it is due to the “other” saddle pad being in the wash and forgotten; or the correct gloves being left in the stable forcing one to wear the incorrect gloves. In other words, I notice but I don’t say anything and I don’t let it bother me (ok, the rider who wore the rainbow snood bothered me, but I tried not to look at it).

However, there is a member who has set herself up as the Queen of Turnout and I might point out that while I think that is a good thing, it would be a lot better if she herself were turned out properly. She speaks to members and guests who are not turned out correctly, while she herself is not. She actually tried to tell me I was turned out incorrectly ONCE. I wear a four-fold stock tie, correctly tied. She actually offered me one of her stock ties the “American” version that one piece slips through the back --not what I use. When I first rode out, she said, “You’ll want a stock tie if you keep hunting with us.” I told her I had one, and when she said why don’t you wear it, I pointed out that I was wearing it. I didn’t tell her the type of stock tie she offered and wore herself was suitable for grooms and juniors, but generally not seen on the adult members where I hunted previously. She never brought up the subject again, and now, about half the membership has made the change to four fold stock ties.

She wears field boots, no hair net, and uses a square colored pad --if one is going to admonish others, one should set an example first.

I must say that our staff is always turned out perfectly!

We hunt in Michigan, so once the Blessing of the Hounds has happened (Oct.) as a group we change to the winter riding boots --Rimfrost is the one most people wear. Leather boots (zipper or not) cannot keep feet warm in the weather we ride in. -16 was the coldest we went out last year --at 0 degrees, huntsman allows all kinds of coats. I generally wear my Melton with an electric vest under it (runs on a battery) to keep warm. If it’s raining, we generally go with Aussies as our hunts can and do go quite long.

Except for the Queen of Turnout, I think most members are accepting of others and try to turn out as best each on any given hunt.

Ok --there was ONE instance where a guest wore Pajama pants over her boots and breeches “because it was cold.” I think the field master spoke to her sponsor about that one.

Foxglove

:: scratches pajama pants off the turn-out list ::

Oh Foxglove, you have given me a great belly laugh and a bit of coffee spewed on the keyboard.

As my soon-to-be 90 year old mother would say, “Oh don’t give her any bother; she just doesn’t know any better.”

[QUOTE=Winding Down;7740104]
They have a few mouse chews on the soles but that isn’t mentioned in Wadsworth![/QUOTE]

:: whispers :: My cats have used my saddle as a scratching post so I have a couple pokey marks in it. Hopefully a flask will cover it.

Just tell anyone who asks that a fox clawed it trying to escape the hounds. :slight_smile:

On the boots with zippers… I understand they are not traditional, but say a member has had an accident to the ankle which prevents it from flexing very well.and has to have a zipper to get their boot on? Would that be allowed? Maybe if the zipper was concealed?

[QUOTE=La Gringa;7743351]
On the boots with zippers… I understand they are not traditional, but say a member has had an accident to the ankle which prevents it from flexing very well.and has to have a zipper to get their boot on? Would that be allowed? Maybe if the zipper was concealed?[/QUOTE]

Following a badly broken leg at my half century mark in life…I can’t get dress boots (without a zipper) on. Putting my nice new zippered boots on for the first time at the hunt 65 miles from home…the zipper promptly blew apart - nice, well fitting boots - no pressure to zip them up. I grabbed a roll of black electric tape…bound them up tight and enjoyed a lovely, rousing hunt. At the breakfast I was bemoaning the tragedy with my boots and the woman I was speaking to couldn’t even detect the black tape. So…IMO…do/wear what you need to and hope your fellow hunters have more important things to occupy their minds with than the presence or not of zippers in your boots!! I’m a life long foxhunter and do like traditional turnout, but… some traditions need to be flexible!! JMO

Turnout is hit or miss but I think much is forgiven when those with unconventional tack or attire can ride the day lights out of their magnificent horses. We have a strong steeple chasing contingent with racing saddles, sometimes leg guards instead of tall boots and an occasional square pad but no one says a word. I personally love knowing the horse in front of me is going to jump enthusiastically over ANYTHING.

I honestly don’t think there’s any hunts in Va. that’d object to zippers in boots these days. First off they’d have to SEE them when you’re on your horse. Now I’m NOT talking about the ones w/stretch pannels and zippers & decorations but really I don’t know. Just ask the hunt.
If any Va. hunts object to zippers - please sign in. I’d be curious.

Randy wants to hunt when we get settled back in VA and he is worried about the boots. He blew all the ligaments out in his ankle, had surgery and it will never be flexible enough now to fit in a dress boot with no zipper. I assured him that under the circumstances… he is a Full Bird Col in the Army (retiring) and his injury was on active duty… surely they would allow it in his case.

I really hope so… he will be very disappointed if it’s an issue.

LaGringa:

Thanks to you and Randy for your service to our country. Please tell Randy not to worry about the boots. I am pretty sure that wateryglen is correct. Every hunt I’ve seen in Virginia in the past few years has LOTS of boots with zippers.

Also, every hunt I know will be delighted to welcome you both!

I’ve never heard that zippers were not allowed anywhere. Now synthetic winter boots with big elastic panels seen to be frowned upon some places but also embraced in others. If course even if they were, such a reason certainly warrants a pass.

[QUOTE=Winding Down;7738649]
I wholeheartedly agree with this one but some of us really cannot get on without a mounting block (seriously, there is NO way I could get my foot up to the stirrup of my big guy). I used to hunt a 17.3 hd horse and I got gates with him whenever I could see a rock or fence to use to get back on. Once dropped a glove in the middle of a large field and someone was kind enough to offer to get off and retrieve it for me. Embarrassing moment, for sure.[/QUOTE]

Agreed! My mare is 17.2 and it ain’t happening! I had an unplanned dismount in the field and almost had to walk back if it weren’t for a couple of well placed hands on my butt throwing me back on!

[QUOTE=FitToBeTied;7738640]
Adding to the list.

1. Be able to get and off your horse in the field. It is very rude to not share in getting gates, riders, etc. because you can’t or won’t dismount to get a gate because poopsie won’t stand still. Said by the person who got all the gates during one hunt.[/QUOTE]

Oh no, no, no, no, no! You are not taking the gate opening task from me!!! My Connemara is short so all eyes gaze towards me, hell the Field Master calls for me, when we approach a gate that requires being opened from the ground. I love the chance to hop off and stretch my legs and butt for a brief moment. :slight_smile:

They have installed a bunch of new gates that can be opened and closed while mounted so my nice little gig won’t be in demand as much this season. :frowning:

thank you. Very much appreciated. We are still working on getting him home in one piece the injury was just a few months ago. He’s in Germany but just for a little bit longer… then home! I can’t wait. :slight_smile:

Maybe I’m wrong, but I’d imagine that if a hunt required boots without zippers they would probably end up with about four people left in the field. I still have several old pairs from the days before zippers but I have NO intention of ever actually dealing with that level of aggravation again. I just really don’t think that tradition trumps the use of discreet modern conveniences like boot zippers. I think our fashion angst is better directed at those messy manes and square saddle pads.

Since many people are chiming in on this thread, I have a few questions on fashion myself. Are roached manes acceptable in the hunt field? How much of an issue is it to hunt in fancy stitched tack?

Foxglove, please share details on your electric vest!

My mom always had this saying that she used quite a bit when I was a kid, “Never be noticed on a galloping horse.” (Keep in mind that she is not horsey!).

I feel this saying really holds true to the hunting life. Yes, proper turnout is important and, really, part of the fun. But, really, will anyone REALLY notice if your stock isn’t a four fold, or you have zippers on your boots (I couldn’t wear boots if it weren’t for zippers these days!), or that you have a CO GR8 on versus a traditional hunt cap when everyone is galloping like mad, through the mud and trees and snow? No. Probably not.

Neat, tidy, as correct as your budget and own body will allow. Ask questions if you’re concerned. Be quiet, stay out of the staff’s way, and pay attention. That’s ALL there should be to it, in my book.

[QUOTE=CarrieK;7742555]
:: scratches pajama pants off the turn-out list :: [/QUOTE]

:lol: :lol:

Turnout really isn’t complicated. You wear a simple English style riding habit. Ratcatcher for cubbing, formal for the formal season. It’s old school.

To start out in this sport you do not need to wear bespoke attire fashioned by a wizened tailor working out of his thatched cottage by candlelight.

The etiquette in this sport is to simply contact the secretary of the hunt you’re interested in capping with and ask questions. That’s part of his or her job. To answer questions and help newcomers.

They can also help you with directions to the fixture or hints as to where to park. Who to look for when you arrive so you can pay your cap and sign your release - just little practical things like that.

No one is going to require you to purchase a hunt whip, sandwich case, bespoke attire, or any other specialty stuff. We do not actually line up for military style inspections, where we turn out our coats to show people out of which thatched cottage our bespoke coat was made. Though there are plenty of people who collect bespoke attire and old appointments and know a great deal about the subject - and thank God for such people because they are founts of knowledge.

I don’t care for zippered boots but am glad they exist, because lots of people cannot get into their regular boots anymore due to injuries or age. In the “old days” such people might decide to retire from the sport. Now they can continue - which is terrific!

You know what folks are looking for? A great attitude. A clean horse with properly fitted tack. A rider who has read up or asked about the rules of the sport and does his or her best to ensure her horse doesn’t cause a problem to other horses or the hounds.

The Wadsworth pamphlet is an excellent summation of the very simple and safety oriented rules of the sport. Anything else you need to know you can ask the club secretary about.

The sport is about the hounds. When you start out you’ll most likely focus on ensuring your horse is doing well, which is natural. But as you settle in, you’ll notice the hounds more. Then you’ll get obsessed. Then you’ll start perusing ebay for vintage attire and you’ll start collecting old books on the sport. Then you’ll be a lost cause. You’ll be a hunting junkie.

Or not. Which is ok too. Some folks ride to hunt, others hunt to ride. It’s all good. :slight_smile:

ETA: Active servicemembers may also hunt in their service uniform; as permitted by their branch’s regulations. I don’t know if the Army has a specified mounted uniform anymore - it used to. In any event a servicemember goes through his chain of command to obtain permission to wear a mounted uniform. It would be Class A (or whatever it’s called these days) with tall boots - the servicemember would always be formally turned out even during cubbing; as he or she is representing his or her branch and unit.

This would be appropriate only for active duty, Reserve, or National Guard, Coast Guard and Public Health Service during peacetime or wartime, and Merchant Marines during peace or wartime. (Coast Guard, Public Health Service, and Merchant Marines being under the authority of civilian agencies in peacetime; but still part of the uniformed services)

I can’t help it, but the image of this made me laugh out loud! :lol:

My experiences hunting, limited as they may be, are to be safe, clean, and presentable. I’ve worn navy blue show coats and simple stock ties whenever I’ve gone hunting - stuff I already had in my closet. The one time I brought a horse with my own tack, I used a raised hunt bridle and breastplate. The hunts I know seem to make it as easy as possible to succeed when it comes to being a newbie. They’re looking to draw people TO the sport - not turn them away.