Unlimited access >

Unbelievably frustrated with saddle fit!

[QUOTE=JustJump;7774957]
As a project pony, I might match you up with this horse, but that a larger one would suit you better.

The impression I get from this photo is that you might be large for the saddle itself, especially as you appear to be using it with a baby pad alone, and without a secondary (quarter) pad. Your stirrups seem short here, which would place your seat toward the cantle if you did much sitting without dropping them.[/QUOTE]

I know I’m better suited to something larger. She isn’t to be a lifetime choice, I don’t think. We’ll see. The saddle is a bit small for me, I’m probably more along the lines of needing an 18", but in most cases with what is in my price range, the 18 is too big for her back. I’d rather it fit her than me. This saddle is right at the last point before it’s an issue on her back.

This photo was taken before the fitter was out, before pad options were discussed. In the picture I have a baby pad with a fleeceworks half pad on top.
Post-fitter, I had been riding her in an a/p quilted pad cut with wither relief. No half pad. Fitter discouraged use of half pad when she “thought” it was fitting the horse. ie: tight shoe with thick sock.

As of late, the saddle has been adjusted wider, half pad was tried to alleviate any pain, thicker pads, thinner pads, etc. Nothing has helped, and have recently learned it’s because the saddle is wide and crushing her withers, and needs to be lifted off her withers to work. It can’t be adjusted more narrow because she needs the wide for shoulder clearance.

I think we have found the crux of your problem.

A saddle has to fit BOTH rider and horse. If there’s a choice, it needs to fit the rider–the horse side of the equation can be compensated for with pads.

If you need a bigger seat than will fit on your pony’s back (as is evident from your photo) if you do sit, you’ll be loading parts of the saddle that aren’t meant to be carrying the bulk of your weight (i.e. the cantle rather than the seat) putting pressure on the areas where the weight is concentrated rather than distributed (which it would be if your saddle fit you) which will lead to a sore back.

Which is what you have.

[QUOTE=JustJump;7775784]
I think we have found the crux of your problem.

A saddle has to fit BOTH rider and horse. If there’s a choice, it needs to fit the rider–the horse side of the equation can be compensated for with pads.

If you need a bigger seat than will fit on your pony’s back (as is evident from your photo) if you do sit, you’ll be loading parts of the saddle that aren’t meant to be carrying the bulk of your weight (i.e. the cantle rather than the seat) putting pressure on the areas where the weight is concentrated rather than distributed (which it would be if your saddle fit you) which will lead to a sore back.

Which is what you have.[/QUOTE]

I’ve been getting a lot of mixed information between opinions & now consulting with the original fitter, and two others.

Everyone on the “fitter” side, has told me to fit the horse first. I can’t get an 18"+ because it extends past the weight bearing part of her back. I realize there are some saddles that accommodate a larger seat on a shorter panel for this reason, but they are not something I am interested in purchasing for $3-4k for a pony I’m not sure I’m keeping. According to the fitter, a massage therapist, myself, and the BO palpating and evaluating her back, her pain is in the withers, and is marginal at best. No issue in the back.

While I understand that being in a less than desirable seat may cause some problems, I have also had someone smaller than me who actually used to own this saddle (and it fit her) get on her on several occasions, and she responds the same way. I know the argument can be that she is “sore” so that is why she’s responding this way to a rider better seated for my pony, but again, we can’t seem to pinpoint any soreness, just irritation at the wither.

I feel like it’s just a big circle. The vet is out today to pick up a horse (not the same vet who saw her previously). I’ll have her check Bella out once more.

If I’m the A**hole who’s causing her pain because I’m too big for the saddle I have, well, I feel really crappy about that. Maybe I’m in denial, or maybe I just don’t know WHO to follow because everyone has a different opinion.
:confused::confused:

everyone see why my head is spinning now???

in heat, wrong angle saddle, rider too big, rider too big for saddle, her back is broken, her brain exploded, at this point it’s anybody’s guess.

Can’t wait to go see her after work. Not riding her, because at this point I don’t know what to do with her anymore. I don’t want to keep getting on her if indeed she is having issues based on ME, or the way the saddle sits on her. Awaiting the arrival of the lift pad. Will try riding her once more after that arrives. (as long as vet doesn’t have any bad news after her exam tonight)

IME horses are usually more comfortable with a slightly longer saddle vs. a saddle that’s too small for the rider, at least from what I’ve seen as the rider that fits a 18 1/2". Is it ideal…no, but I do think it is more comfortable for them vs. a rider that is focusing their weight on the rear of the saddle and over their kidneys.

I had the chance to haul with a friend to Dynamic Saddle Fitting last year for a consult. I thought it was very interesting because she has one of those digital saddle pads that lights up from the pressure. Friend was riding in a 17" saddle. Per the pad, because that saddle was so small on my friend, there was an intense amount of pressure anytime she was “down” in the saddle (sit part of the post, walk, and even some of the cantering).

It wasn’t helped by a too short square pad under the fleece pad, but even once that pad was removed the rear of the saddle was still bright red (and this is “live” so you could sit there and watch the pressure change as your seat changed.

All the pressure went away with a bigger seat size.

Coincidentally, same friend had been having a lot of issues under saddle with her that she had attributed to the mare being in heat, despite the depo, however the areas she was back sore (which friend thought was from ovaries) was exactly where the red was lighting up.

Like I said, as the owner of a long saddle, I do ride some short backed horses in my saddle, and I try to be lighter in my seat and stay off their back as best I can. However, if I try to squeeze my fat butt into a smaller seat size, its immediately obvious that the horse is more comfortable in a longer saddle with me, vs. a smaller saddle that fits their back.

[QUOTE=Jumper_girl221;7776398]
IME horses are usually more comfortable with a slightly longer saddle vs. a saddle that’s too small for the rider, at least from what I’ve seen as the rider that fits a 18 1/2". Is it ideal…no, but I do think it is more comfortable for them vs. a rider that is focusing their weight on the rear of the saddle and over their kidneys.

I had the chance to haul with a friend to Dynamic Saddle Fitting last year for a consult. I thought it was very interesting because she has one of those digital saddle pads that lights up from the pressure. Friend was riding in a 17" saddle. Per the pad, because that saddle was so small on my friend, there was an intense amount of pressure anytime she was “down” in the saddle (sit part of the post, walk, and even some of the cantering).

It wasn’t helped by a too short square pad under the fleece pad, but even once that pad was removed the rear of the saddle was still bright red (and this is “live” so you could sit there and watch the pressure change as your seat changed.

All the pressure went away with a bigger seat size.

Coincidentally, same friend had been having a lot of issues under saddle with her that she had attributed to the mare being in heat, despite the depo, however the areas she was back sore (which friend thought was from ovaries) was exactly where the red was lighting up.

Like I said, as the owner of a long saddle, I do ride some short backed horses in my saddle, and I try to be lighter in my seat and stay off their back as best I can. However, if I try to squeeze my fat butt into a smaller seat size, its immediately obvious that the horse is more comfortable in a longer saddle with me, vs. a smaller saddle that fits their back.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your insight on this! Very interesting!
Anyone ever have an anxiety attack over saddle issues? raises hand I’m about there.

So should I really consider ditching this saddle and go on the long journey of finding a bigger saddle for myself, and then the super fun (not) task of figuring out what will work for a medium width with wide shoulder clearance…?

OVER IT!

:frowning: :sigh::grief:

[QUOTE=LittleMissBigTime;7776521]
Thank you for your insight on this! Very interesting!
Anyone ever have an anxiety attack over saddle issues? raises hand I’m about there.

So should I really consider ditching this saddle and go on the long journey of finding a bigger saddle for myself, and then the super fun (not) task of figuring out what will work for a medium width with wide shoulder clearance…?

OVER IT!

:frowning: :sigh::grief:[/QUOTE]

If it makes you feel better, I went through 3 years of saddle fit issues. I finally was fed up with it, and hauled 6 hours to a fitter, had a semi custom made to fit us both. I do HIGHLY recommend working with a rep, be it Trumbull, Panther Run, or a local rep. I wasted quite a bit of money shipping back and forth and it gets expensive quite quickly. There are some options outside of custom that would work for her and I do recommend talking to someone about it.

I’m not really sure what you’re getting at with “medium width with wide shoulder clearance?”

If you’re having issues with the tree impinging on the shoulder, then something isn’t right with the panel or the tree points, or the saddle is way too far forward. If the shape is wrong and the saddle is too far forward, when you move it back the pommel is likely to dive down on the withers. The points of the tree may be too long for this horse.

I have a pony myself so I understand the issues. Mine has a wither but is quite wide just behind it and needs a very special saddle. Trust me, I went through hell and spent about $8000 to get a dressage and a jump saddle for him. I actually have one of his rejects still here that I bet would work for you, but it’s a 17 so I’m not sure how that would work for you size-wise.

I agree with finding a reputable fitter, but once you find one you need to trust what they’re telling you. If you keep shopping trying to get someone to tell you what you want to hear, you might never find something. The answer for this horse may well be a british made or bench made saddle and at that point you have to have the discussion with yourself whether that is something you want to do-- not go back and try to find another fitter who will tell you that your current saddle works, because it obviously doesn’t.

Bottom line is this is not a saddle problem, or a pony problem, or a saddle fitter problem The problem is that you are big for this pony, not a lot you can do about that. You’re an adult–in other threads you’ve been in a dilemma about what to show in, bottom line there is, not a lot–you’re an adult.

Looks like a pretty nice pony. Why not lease or sell and get something to ride that fits you, and your saddle?

When I school student’s ponies, I use a saddle that is very flat so there aren’t any knee rolls anywhere, I can get my stirrups as short as I need them to be, but basically I never sit.

I far prefer to get a good pony jockey in the tack that fits the pony and can properly use all the aids.