Unlimited access >

Unhappy Horse: What is it? Long read

Looking for some suggestions for something we haven’t checked in my amazing horse who I can’t seem to help out.

Here’s the LONG story:
15h, 12 y.o. welsh cob. Came to me in poor condition, after few years off of work due to owner’s schedule, but with great kind demeanor and theoretically 3rd level dressage training. He arrived underweight. Zero muscle anywhere. No top line with a significant swayback. Extremely short, bullnose barefoot trim. Dentist said teeth were not great. In his plus category, he was quiet, extremely kind, very willing, and a diamond in the rough, with the best cob breeding for dressage, while this does not matter he happens to have a gorgeous head :).
Two vettings upon his arrival (one was general vet for a quick over view, one a lameness expert) show no back pain and no concern for the swayback, told to build top line thru all the ways we know: thru hills, cavaletti, correct riding. Everything else checked out, but he was not fully x-rayed. I am an amateur, but I do have tons of experience and loads of excellent help and guidance. I’ve ridden for 45 years and generally know when something is wrong, it is probably my fault, not my horse.
From the time he arrived, he did not like to take contact or, occasionally “over took” it, pulling and rooting, going in a somewhat “fake” frame as he did not come thru from the hind end or really lift his back properly as he won’t go out to the contact. I chalked it up to lack of condition and top line that tires out quickly. From the start, he also occasionally tripped in the front. Again, think it is a question of conditioning or recovering from poor trims. Chomps (not chews) the bit in trot and canter with a focused unhappiness. Chalk this up to needing strength to build confidence. Stiffle pops and buckles, vets, trainers and I agree needs more conditioning. Nervous in the barn, but not spooky.

After six months of slowly building strength, he is working well but becoming more spooky, more tripping, and eventually girthy. He also seems unhappy when his stifle pops in the downward transition. We decide that strengthening and conditioning is making his topline look a bit better, but overall, he is actually less happy in work by month 6. This begins a huge series of tests:

• Test out a ton of new saddles; finally buy a custom saddle. It makes no difference. Currently in a Schlesse Obrigado. Since its purchase, been fitted 4x. for minor adjustments.

• Tried literally every bit under the sun. I am like a tack shop now. No difference one to the other–only thing I haven’t tried is a ported bit. Currently in a Sprenger Mullen mouth, loose ring.

• Different bridles. Now in a micklem. Never seen a difference for him one to the other. Have considered buying a western bosal since those have (I believe) little poll pressure and obviously no mouth/ bar pressure.

• Ride with no tack; halter and bareback. No difference except he has no bit to chomp.

• Try different riders. I am 5’3" and 125 pound but my daughter at 110 rides him as well a 2 slightly heavier trainers, no difference detracted due to our size.

• Change farriers. Try shoes. Try no shoes. Try shoes on front only. Try different trims. No change.

• January 2020 Scope for ulcers. Has pyloric ulcers. Treat for six weeks. Rescope. He is better. Around April 2020 we add Outlast (still on), Rite Trac (in case of hind gut ulcers) and a month of Chinese herbs “just in case”. Now on Succeed for past 2 weeks. Just in case. After the treatment ended around February of last year, girthiness did subside somewhat. Now, in January 2021, increasing again.

• Stifle. The stifle pop is quite bad, and never improves with conditioning. Vet decides to blister in March of last year. Helps the stifle enormously but then the SI gets out of wack.

• SI injected around April. Doesn’t help anything. Did bunny hop but by September (when he gets back to work again as described below, it is resolved).

• During this time, second dental appt. takes place. Teeth said to be okay on a recheck. Also, should note, regular Chiro and Accupuncture takes place this entire time (every 4-6 weeks).

• We go back to the lameness expert… determines a very, very slight suspensory strain at the point of insertion in one hind leg. Do 8 weeks of shockwave with three months off. Allowed to be turned out during this time. Back to walking in late September 2020. Walk in month one is ok. By month two of trot, No improvement. Pulling/ rooting, dragging nose on the ground no matter how much we push forward. Chomping bit. Seems distracted, nervous and unhappy. Same horse as before suspensory treatment. Vet says keep at the re-hab work.

• Move horse home and out of fancy boarding barn to begin the rehab. Have good footing, etc. He seems less nervous at our smaller farm. Should add, vet rechecks show suspensory is fine now.

• Get a second opinion/ add another vet, November 2020. Leaning on bit/ chomping the bit, rooting reins away from us is worse than ever. We think it is pain. Pushing him forward doesn’t help. As we are worried as to how/ why we are hurting him, we run through all the suspects again with new vet. Retest for Lyme, send a PSMM sample out, E levels are low so we treat, analyze all the feed and determine it is spot on, do a metabolic panel (again) and he is fine… This vet doubts the suspensory diagnosis all together, does amazing Chiro and Accupuncture. Adds Chinese supplements. We do a round of Adequan.

• December 2020 still riding regularly, although both of us are miserable during it, and adding a little canter. I did think the Adequan (or any of the other things) did seem to help him get a little happier in the trot. Canter less annoying to him than trot, but he barely can keep it and reluctant to depart (he was the type you “think” canter and he did). Now there is head winging at canter, mostly to right. Hindquarters tossed in on the right. Again, we chalk it up to horse’s lack of strength. Two different excellent and highly qualified dressage trainers opinion, push him forward.

• Work is at 5 days a week, short ridden sessions. 7 days a week of hand walking/trotting straight lines in addition to very light longe work.

• Try two months of equinox somewhere around here. No change.

• Do the entire tack, bit, no-bit, no saddle analysis again. Same horse no matter what. Spookier than ever–really just not happy. Still unwilling to come thru and take the contact, nose on ground at trot, winging head at canter and somewhat at trot. Add smart ultra. Go back to ground work, no riding.

• January 2020 upon the urging of barn mates and a highly regarded dressage trainer (where our other horse still boards) we get involved with another vet. I was hesitant to mix another opinion but feel I can’t ride him because I am convinced he is unhappy, can barely stay in the saddle with how hard he is pulling, the head winging and crazy spookiness. This vet was brought up from VA ( I am in MA), and determines through only a visual analysis (no X-rays or ultrasound) he has poll pain. He doesn’t inject joints, but rather muscles and nerves to alleviate the pain so–in theory–he will relax and allow us to work him to build the top line, which he believes is the key to horse’s comfort. He injects from poll to tail, in the muscles. I am a doubting Thomas at this point, but I am hopeful. I am told to put him to longe work (I hesitate due to the suspensory) w/ neck stretcher and surcingle. I admit, I have given this one week and he said do it for a few months… but, horse is really unhappy. No change. Headwinging at canter and some now at trot, the bit chomping has become truly biting it, almost like he is biting the air. Continues to trip a lot, mostly at trot, as if his focus on rooting/ and snapping at the bit makes him forget to look where he is going. He is so high strung if asked to work… I think it scares him. He has an enormous heart and I can see he is truly trying and seems as if he is doing what he can…

I spend every night for months and months researching. I am exhausting my vets, trainers, family, and friends! But, I do not have a happy horse.

I want simply to make him comfortable. I am concerned about pushing a horse that isn’t happy–either under saddle, on a longe, or w/ assistive devices like the neck stretcher. While the suggestion is always “build the top line and he will be happier” he is really, really unhappy in the process of getting there.

This horse arrived really out of condition but went better than he is now. Now, he is extremely well fed, cared for, and clearly well medically examined… my working theory is the work agitated a preexisting condition or he plainly hurt himself along the way. The preexisting condition makes the most sense since most of these “symptoms” were there, just more subtly when we started, and we (along with trainers and vets) felt with proper, gradual work it would subside.

Have zero idea what to look at that we missed. Any thoughts?

**please no negative posts, I have poured my soul into trying to care for this horse. I’ve listened to truly excellent trainers, vets, and others but when I listen to my heart, I know I haven’t solved this for him (the source of the issue) and I feel it is my responsibility to do so. Appreciate any thoughts or similar experiences.

5 Likes

I don’t see any investigation into his neck other than the poll injections which were in muscle? What did he inject? B12?
Also doing misoprostol might help clear up the pyloric ulcers if he has a recurrence.
Mine gets rooting when his SI is wonky but sounds like you are all over that already.

I don’t have much to offer. Sorry.

Good luck.

1 Like

Thank you for your thoughts.
On my list of the few things we haven’t investigated, but I’d like to suggest to my vets is the neck. Reading C6/C7 stories make me wonder.
Like you, wondering if the ulcers have recurred.
SI seems all set at this point. But, interesting yours gets rooting when it is a problem.
As for the injections from the VA vet, he said it was a steroid to reduce inflammation. As he explained it, this will quiet the muscles and nerves for 6-8 weeks and allow him to accept contact and move forward. I can’t say there is any change at all.

Well bless your heart for trying so hard to figure it out and get him happy. He’s trying to communicate and you’re listening to your gut and it’s so hard…since they can’t talk. From what you’ve written and what I’ve dealt with I’d say it’s cheap to u/s soft tissue. Confirm the fronts are ok- suspensorys . My guy rooted and displayed some of what you describe – especially the rooting and spooking. Sometimes felt like he’s been shocked - he would make a jolt movement for no reason.

Ultrasound found tendon sheath issues and suspensory problems in both fronts. Who knows if that’s it for your guy but it’s an easy r/o.

Never.give.up. You’ll find it and he knows you are trying. I’d also listen to your gut on the work. You’ve been doing this six months and it’s all only getting worse. Maybe just walk for now? Power walk. But just walk. Until he tells you he’s doing better.

11 Likes

I have nothing to offer but sympathy and my hope that you can make him comfortable. :worried:

3 Likes

Appreciate the suggestions. Thank you.

Perhaps try an animal communicator. Can’t hurt!

3 Likes

How about riding around - the property - trails - on a loose rein? How is he on a loose rein at walk?

4 Likes

I will second looking at the neck. Fellow boarder had her horse get increasingly cranky and spooky. He was always quirky so it took a bit to decide this was something more. He didn’t root but she rode without much contact and he was still head flipping and fussy. He also was backed off and increasingly and dangerously spooky.
Finally the vet found a neck problem. He said these often seem to present with spooky and erratic behavior. His neck was injected in several places. Within a week he was back to his usual self! It has been a couple of months and so far so good.

2 Likes

Horse Problems Australia did a great DVD set on these types of horses, all with veterinary issues.

My first thought is C6/7.

Is your horse happy trail riding (ie not in a frame / contact)?

1 Like

This is a good idea. OP, you said he’s home now? Can you turn him out for a couple of months and let his body just “reset” for a while? Maybe just hack around your property until he realizes work doesn’t always equal pain? You sound like an amazing horsewoman and he’s lucky to have an owner like you. I can only imagine how frustrating it is to know he’s in pain without knowing what from! Sometimes, just turning them out and not looking at them for a while can be the best thing :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My thoughts are to treat with a different ulcer med for longer - sure you hit the pyloric with omeprazole, (but that’s all you hit, he may have them elsewhere and omeprazole will not hit them :confused: ) - and to get a proper neuro exam and neck/back rads.

1 Like

If you have the funds, you could do a bone scan to see if anything unexpected lights up. (Mixed reviews from COTH posters on their experiences with the helpfulness of bone scans. Just throwing it out there.)

Thirding (fourth-ing?) checking for neck/spine issues. Posters in other threads have mentioned gabapentin trials to help investigate nerve pain as well.

Also concur with assuming that the ulcers are back at this point, probably as bad or worse than before. You could try a course of Nexium (check out @Simkie’s thread for tons of details) as well as hitting the hind gut.

2 Likes

Oh I so understand you… my thoughts are with you.
I have a case also: 20 year old tb chuncky mare I have not riddden her since august 2020, she had X-Rays of about every joint … not presenting as yours at all… and I am seriously thinking of retiring her from riding, even if when you watch her canter it is like she is 3 and full of beans. Right now she is sound on the lunge line with pad and aluminium shoes in front. But is pulling the right front shoe on a regular basis…sigh.
I feel for and all you have tried we went the same way with Mme Mare, never got a true diagnostic … just a little bit of this a little bit of that.
Even if I have build up her top line and muscles in the last few months, and found a saddle she likes, I am still thinking retirement is in the near future.
Take care.

Loose rein at walk is not bad.

1 Like

I neglected to say we also did sucralfate and rite trac, along with “stomach happy” Chinese herbs. Theoretically the sucralfate would have helped the hind gut. But, as we know, we can’t be sure. Also Agee with you on the euro and neck /back rads.

Thank you for this.

Bone scan has been suggested by the lameness expert/vet. I am willing, but he was/ is on the fence as to whether it will help.

The vet from VA who did the nerve/ muscle injections last week when up here in MA, but I see no change.

I am thinking the ulcers could be the culprit, along with maybe more in the neck. I read the thread about Nexium… pretty interesting info and cheap enough to try on by guy, who is now known as MDP, Million Dollar Pony. :slight_smile: I’ve only experienced ulcers with one other horse and they were easy to clear. This guy had ulcers only at the pyloric opening–no where else. But when scoped, it was pretty significant (prior to treatment). Seems like we should look there again.

I do sympathize with your struggle. It is very hard to accept a lack of “clear” diagnosis. That is why I keep ferreting out more information… only to get stuck in a circle of “what if it is this?” As I said, I have worn out my smartest of horse friends, family, trainers, and probably the vets by now. I hope that you get a clear diagnosis and if nothing else, I will share my journey with this horse. We all learn from each other. Good luck with your mare.

2 Likes

if it will help get a diagnosis and better, a prognosis, then do it.

What you don’t really seem to have is a diagnosis.

If the vet is not confident in interpretation, then the vet school should be the next stop and let the multidiscipline team do the consultation

another thought is X-ray of the mouth looking for tooth and bone abnormality

3 Likes

I’m not sure from your original post if the back was actually xrayed?