Unlimited access >

Unique names for a chestnut mare

Jessica Rabbit
Joan Holloway
Cerise
Arrest Me Red
Kir Royale
Campari

I’m going full nerd here, but there is a character in Game of Thrones named Ygritte. She’s a feisty redhead, and they believe that redheads are lucky and kissed by fire. Pronounced “ee-grit”.

Chataigne. It’s French for “chestnut” (the nut, not the color).

I have a red dobe who’s come to me somewhat late in life. I call her “Annie”, because she had a hard-knock life before she came to me. I also think of Harry Chapin’s song “Mail Order Annie” when I see her. (“I know you’re not as pretty as I dreamed you’d be, but then, I’m no handsome Fancy Dan. And out here looks aren’t really so important. It’s what’s inside a woman when she’s up against the land”)

StG

As the proud owner of 5 chestnut mares and 1 chestnut gelding who thinks he is a mare I have had to come up with lots of names!
I have
Diva
C.C.
Emily
Justi
Daphne
Niles
I love the red ones!!

Titian - After the painter famous for painting women with red hair!

Crimson or Cinnamon

Simone- for Nina Simone

You could use her song or album names for a show name:
Silk & Soul (my favorite)
Feelin Good

I’ve always loved the name Gidget for a chestnut mare. And then of course Ginger, after the mare in Black Beauty.

[QUOTE=dontskipthecafe;8106293]
I know “Scarlett” is waaay overdone, but I’ve always had a plan to name a red mare “Frankly My Dear” with Scarlett as a barn name if I ever have one ^.^ Even though I hated Gone with the Wind.[/QUOTE]
My TB mare’s dam’s JC name is “Frankly My Scarlett”. She’s almost black though. Wasn’t Scarlett O’Hara raven haired in the book? :wink:

My other plan is “Ticket Me Red”, barn name Jody.

Yes, I may have named my hypothetical future horse after my car. The car is named after redheaded vampire Jody Stroud, of Christopher Moore’s novel Bloodsucking Fiends.

I am buying a chestnut mare tonight so this is perfect timing. Her name is Kahlua, yeah, I hate that! Love some of the suggestions on here.
So far I am thinking:
Vera
Emmaline
Merida
Ygritte (love GOT!!)
Clodagh
Clare
Moira
Mona or Ramona

I know this is a little late…

I know this is a little late, but I have always wanted a chestnut mare named Cheyenne :smiley:
Here are some others:
Firework
Sunny
Ember
Cherry
Amber
Spark
Firefly
Hope I helped anyone looking :smiley:

Sienna

[QUOTE=CustomDesign;8107792]
I just got a chestnut mare last month :slight_smile:
I ended up naming her Ember, which I think suits her perfectly.
My runner-up name was Merida, which is the name of the main character from the Disney movie Brave. In the movie she had bright red hair and was a feisty, strong little girl.
Some other names I considered were Ariel, Reba, and Ella.[/QUOTE]

Merida was my first choice for my mare, but somehow caved to barn pressure and kept the name she came with Fergie.

I did rebel and refuse to go with Duchess for a show name, instead chose The Valkyrie, a good red headed Viking, well not a name but a connection!

Erica-the-Red :D. Sorry…long day!

Well, not “unique” because it has been used before, but I really like “Terlingua” for a “hot” chestnut mare (since they are assumed to be hot). (Based on the chili cooking contest in Terlingua, Texas. There was a champion Secretariat daughter of that name.)

Black Beauty
Hey, you wanted unique! :slight_smile:

I have one of the ubiquitous Scarletts. I have a red pinto named Ginny after Ginny Weasley. Her full name is Potter’s Girl (her sire’s name was, I’m sorry to admit, Hairy Potter). I also have a Filbert, because he is small brown and round.

If I ever end up w/ a redheaded mare, I would call her Elizabeth, as in Queen Elizabeth I of England.

Show names can be different Elizabeth references:

Tudor Rose
Gloriana
Virgo (since she was the “virgin queen”)

Or go the sarcastic route and name her “Blackie” or “Brownie” :wink: