Unlimited access >

***Update: 4/20/22 The consult** Any one have experience with an oronasal fistula?

I’m about ready to cry. Meds did help her feel a bit better BUT she still will not eat on her own, so force feeding her. She has not pooped and is still very dehydrated. Have been giving her 100 ml fluids twice a day. Temp is down. Called and left message at vet - they have not called back and I am at work. She has an appt on Sunday for a blood draw but now am going to try and get her in before then however I can. nearest ER’s are all about an hour or more from where I live. Feeling very frustrated right now. This should be an easy fix - why isn’t it?

1 Like

I am so sorry. I wish I could offer more than virtual hugs and jingles!

Surely the vet will see the need to do the surgery sooner rather than later - even if the ER has to do it, or your vet has to it earlier, it might be her best shot at kicking this.

I can’t get hold of either vet - no answer at either and I know they are in there. No response to texts or messages. I will try to call an old vet of mine and see what they can do - worst case she goes to ER. Main problem now is the constipation - vet I saw yesterday said he felt large lumps in her colon he thought were stool but thought sub-q fluids would address.

I hate this new thing we have in this area where vets don’t have a full-time dedicated receptionist - it’s just texts or messages and they are pretty poor at handling those.

1 Like

Hugs to you and Smudge. :hugs: I hope you get some help for her soon. Please keep us posted. Fingers crossed and wishing you the best.

1 Like

Are there any laxatives you can give her? Miralax was suggested by my vet for one of my cats who had chronic constipation; I’ve heard of sitting them in warm water too. Raw pumpkin, maybe?

I have that but fear that giving it to her might aggravate things. I mean let’s put a cork up there and start an avalanche behind it. ow

After this she’s getting a whole new diet!

2 Likes

Poor Smudge. If his mouth is infected/abcessed, eating may not be what he wants right now.
Sounds like he does need immediate relief.
Hope you can get some help soon.
hugs to you both.

So sorry shiloh. The vet situation is abysmal.

I called to get my now asthmatic cat into her regular vet on 11/11. They said they could see her 12/27!
Oh, if you have to, take her to one of the ER vets. They did call back and change it to 12/13. Well she didn’t make it a month and now $3600 into the ER vet and counting. Vets around here are just not taking new clients and even if you are established…meh, get in line. Taking them to the ER, you can easily wait 4+ hours to be seen. And, the ER vet is not allowing any owners into the building….still :rage:.

Huge jingles for you and Smudge.

Susan

1 Like

How are you two today? We’re you able to get her to the ER vet?

Took Smudge to her regular vet today. They were able to take her as a drop off.

I got home last night, temp was 102, so got some food and fluids in her and she went to bed with me and slept well. Called Vet early this morning, took her right over and LSS, picked her up at 430p and vet says she is fine. Blood with no abnormalities, WBC sightly up but not grossly so, bladder and kidneys working fine (she wet herself twice on the way over). The vet did not find any stool in her but that doesn’t mean she didn’t get up last night and pass the last bits. Vet did say that she was a struggle and a puzzle to work with because nothing was really straightforward with her. I’m stumped, too, lady but whatever, I will take what I have and that is appears well, fever is gone, she’s home and sleeping. Vet started her back on antibiotics and is going to consult with the other doc and see if they should go forward on the 16th with surgery. She is leaning towards getting this over with because she thinks this is the root of all the problems and I agree. I am going to see if they will take a picture of this hole in her head before they close it up.

Anyhow - whew. And didn’t cost a fortune, either.

@Kyrabee - WOW! Your vet situation sounds like what we usually get for humans. That sucks - poor kitty… Lucky you are rich, right? (sarcastic font used here)

Thanks all for jingles! I’m tired - we’re going to bed early today!

4 Likes

Smudge is going for surgery tomorrow. Jingles please!

8 Likes

Hugs and jingles to you and Smudge! I hope the surgery will finally fix the problem. Fingers crossed! :crossed_fingers: :heart:

1 Like

Jingles !

1 Like

major jingles from Florida for poor baby Smudge. May this be the relief you need.

Jingles & AO for Smudge ~

Major jingles to you both!

Huge jungles coming Smudge’s way.
Susa

Jingle jingle jingle x infinity for Smudge. Hang in there. You’re the bestest kitty Mom.

1 Like

Any news yet? I know you’re on tenterhooks - we all are! Hoping this finally solves poor Smudge’s problems and you and she can just relax now.

3 Likes

I hope the surgery went well for Smudge.

3 Likes