Unlimited access >

UPDATE pg 2 WB service A+ // Review-Weatherbeeta 1000D Stretch Combo Neck Blanket

Fellow COTHers,

I would like to offer you my review of the Weatherbeeta 1000D Stretch Combo Neck horse blanket.

Whoever designed this blanket clearly has no idea about functionality and safety in horse blankets. Additionally, the sizing fit is completely off.

First let me address the safety issue. The 1000D is not stiff enough and the stretch combo neck falls/folds down the neck gaping open. This caused my mare’s neck piece to catch on the edge of both her water bucket and her feed bucket. Thankfully she was not in a field where it could have caught on a fence post.

The functionality issue. Who in their right mind puts a fleece-like material on the interior of a TO blanket (BTW-this was not advised in the product description. They called it wicking material). Because of the terrible fit to be discussed later, dirt, manure, urine, shavings, and hay coated EVERY. SINGLE. PART. of the inside on this material within one day IN A STALL.

EDIT TO ADD: Did I mention this is a Turnout Blanket? Because of the gaping neck, the entire inside of the blanket is wet. When it caught on the water bucket, it spilled and ran down her back. And the wicking…did NOT work. Completely wet even the next day. Thankfully she was inside so there was no wind.

The fit issue. Did WB design this for a draft horse in the NECK, a 17hh Quarter horse in the REAR and a 14hh skinny TB in the front? My 16.3hh mare wears a 78 in WB sizing and this blanket hung off her rear yet would not velcro in the front and I had to buy an extender to even buckle it. Additionally, the neck was so large that we had to velcro it all the way as tight as possible to even get it closed on her neck.

I had no choice because the temps dropped down to the teens for three days so I had to use it as my mare is fully clipped. That means I could not return it and I sure as heck will not sell it used to another horse owner. It is not a safe blanket. It is a poorly designed very expensive piece of garbage that I will now have to use as a dog bed.

I used to rave about WB blankets, but this experience left me with a very sour taste for the WB product. This blanket retails at $200. Save your money.

I sent this review to WB on their website. I’ll let you know how they respond.

These are manufacture defects which could only be revealed upon wearing, so I’d be taking this up with the retailer & demanding a refund.
It’s not the same as just not liking the blanket.

Hope you get this resolved.

Who in their right mind puts a fleece-like material on the interior of a TO blanket

Bucas! & it’s wonderful :yes:
I prefer to blanket as little as possible so that means that some days horse gets rather soaked, just toss his Bucas on & he’s a nice, dry, warm boy within a short time … & blanket feels dry soon after.

I specifically looked for a turnout rug that could be placed on a wet horse, found my first Bucas Smartex rain sheet, & now have both Smartex & Power (the temperature range really works as advertised) Turnouts, & most recently a Sun Shower (again chosen for the temperature comfort range).
The inner fleece does pick up some hair when horse is shedding, but I ignore the few hairs that remain after washing - horse has certainly not complained :lol: - otherwise the inner fleece is surprisingly resistant to shavings etc.

Yes, do return your blanket to the retailer. They will contact WB about your issues, and you may get a store credit or more suitable blanket as a replacement.

[QUOTE=Melissa.Van Doren;7368467]
Yes, do return your blanket to the retailer. They will contact WB about your issues, and you may get a store credit or more suitable blanket as a replacement.[/QUOTE]

Can’t. It was eBay tackstore demo WO tags and bag. No returns. Plus she had to wear it 3 days because of the weather. Only option is direct to WB. I’m hoping they will do something. We’ll see.

Well, take a gander at some of the threads here on COTH about how ebay goes overboard for buyers and lets you return pretty much anything regardless of condition. Even stores that say “all sales final” have to take returns. Can’t hurt to try…

Yes, if you file a not as described claim ebay WILL make your seller accept the return and give you a full refund of your original purchase price plus original shipping costs. The cost of return shipping is on you. No returns means NOTHING on ebay.

[QUOTE=shadytrake;7368492]
Can’t. It was eBay tackstore demo WO tags and bag. No returns. Plus she had to wear it 3 days because of the weather. Only option is direct to WB. I’m hoping they will do something. We’ll see.[/QUOTE]

‘No returns’ means no returns if you change your mind or ordered the wrong size, not no returns for any reason ever. The seller still has an obligation to provide a product that is free from defect etc and they should be your first port of call to remedy the situation.

[QUOTE=kalidascope;7368711]
‘No returns’ means no returns if you change your mind or ordered the wrong size, not no returns for any reason ever. The seller still has an obligation to provide a product that is free from defect etc and they should be your first port of call to remedy the situation.[/QUOTE]

Okay after reading the replies, you have convinced me that this blanket is defective. I raised a claim through eBay (today is the last day for returns in their advertisement for like new condition). I gave them all of my details. Maybe they can return it to WB then. I’ll keep you posted.

[QUOTE=kalidascope;7368711]
‘No returns’ means no returns if you change your mind or ordered the wrong size, not no returns for any reason ever. The seller still has an obligation to provide a product that is free from defect etc and they should be your first port of call to remedy the situation.[/QUOTE]

This! And really, even if there isn;t a defect, the buyer will still get to return the item if they “pretend” there is one. That’s ebay…

One of the other boarders at my barn has this blanket on their mare. I am not impressed with it at all. It has a “collar” of fleece and I feel so bad for that mare when it rains or snows, because it does get wet and stay wet for some time. The mare is a stout STB broodmare and this blanket is ill fitting on her.

I had sold these folks a Horseware Rhino turnout sheet and a Rambo midweight turnout that did not fit my new horse in 78" sizes. Both fit her beautifully. The farm that they sent her to to foal out lost the midweight so the mare’s owners replaced it the Weatherbeeta 78". I would not blanket my horse before I would use that particular blanket in any kind of precipitation.

I used to be a fan of Weatherbeeta products, but after the last couple of blankets that I purchased failed in various ways in the first seaon of wearing, I made the switch to Horseware products and couldn’t be happier.

it’s discouraging to see that folks are complaining of weatherbeeta products in general (i get that once in a while a particular style turns out not to work). i’m a big fan of weatherbeeta products in general although i was disappointed when they discontinued their high neck freestyles for a season or two (they seem to be back). i still have a medium weight high neck and a heavy weight (with a neck cover) i bought over 6 years ago and they look great and fit great. wish they’d stick with what has worked instead of coming up with innovations that aren’t well thought through/tested and compromise their overall reputation :frowning:

I bought a WB Freestyle last fall for the season. The neck also came with the attached fleece collar. While at first I thought that was a great idea (keeping heat in?) my gelding has not appreciated it as much as I thought he would. The fleece part tends to trap shavings/dust/hay/etc., and he gets SO itchy. He destroyed the fastener on the neck piece just last week after many many attempts at trying to itch his neck. So, no more neck covering for him.

I am usually a RAMBO fan, but they didn’t have my size left and WB looked promising, but after this episode I will be buying Horseware only.

Well here is an update. The eBay seller said no return because I should have “known” that it wasn’t going to fit properly. Maybe so, but that doesn’t excuse the defective neck.

Also, to add to my review it is NOT WATERPROOF! I took it home and draped it over a fence to let it air out (and I was going to wash it if they wanted me to). It started to rain today and I went out to feel the underside. It is soaking wet! I could wring it out. How is that a turnout blanket?

It is not just wet in one place where it may have had an up splash. It is soaking wet from the tip of the neck all the way to the tail and sides. Soaked.

So I called eBay and asked them how to activate a claim resolution. They walked me through it and told me the seller has 3 days to resolve. If they don’t, then I can escalate it under the Buyer Protection.

I told the eBay lady that I’m not asking for a shipping refund. I just want my money back for the blanket. I explained to her that WB is a well known brand and the retailer could easily return to them. She said what I asked for was completely reasonable and to give the seller the three days.

I’ll let you know what happens.

Another update. The seller called me a liar. The dispute box has a character limit so I had to edit the information down to the bare basics. When they disputed back, I was able to add the other information (which I clarified for eBay on the telephone and in the dispute box).

They called me a liar “information is suspect.” I sent a reply advising them that I informed the eBay rep of the full story and explained the box character limitation. I advised them that in addition to my original dispute that I had tested the waterproofing today on the fence. I told them to check the weather for Memphis today. It did indeed rain. I also told them that I have an excellent record on eBay and have raised a dispute twice (including this one). I have been on eBay since 2002.

I also advised them that I am not asking them to eat the cost plus shipping. WB is a reputable company and they can surely send back a defective product. I am only asking for the blanket refund. I will even wash the darn thing (I didn’t tell them that). Now they have me angry.

When you file a claim, eBay requires the seller to refund the shipping if they accept the return. The seller only has the option to return the full price of shipping+item cost, or say no and allow you to escalate, which eventually you will win and they’ll have to take it back anyway.

I’m going to disagree with some of the others a bit, and please don’t get offended, but you probably got a “deal” on this blanket because it was a demo model on eBay. And in return for the discount, the agreement was that you accept some risk in buying a blanket sight unseen. Just because it turns out that the blanket kind of sucks doesn’t mean that the seller didn’t fulfill their end of the deal. It’s part of the risk of paying less and buying on eBay versus using a tack shop that allows you to inspect the product and try it on without risk…

[QUOTE=Nuggets;7371886]
When you file a claim, eBay requires the seller to refund the shipping if they accept the return. The seller only has the option to return the full price of shipping+item cost, or say no and allow you to escalate, which eventually you will win and they’ll have to take it back anyway.

I’m going to disagree with some of the others a bit, and please don’t get offended, but you probably got a “deal” on this blanket because it was a demo model on eBay. And in return for the discount, the agreement was that you accept some risk in buying a blanket sight unseen. Just because it turns out that the blanket kind of sucks doesn’t mean that the seller didn’t fulfill their end of the deal. It’s part of the risk of paying less and buying on eBay versus using a tack shop that allows you to inspect the product and try it on without risk…[/QUOTE]

I’m not offended at all. I purchased it based on the WB reputation. I have never been dissatisfied with their blankets before. And yes, I did get a deal because it was a demo. I purchased a 78 based on my prior experience with WB blankets.

I was only going to escalate it to WB, but others on here felt it was defective and that I should give it a go rather than eat the $. The fact that they basically called me a liar has now made me dig in a bit. And the waterproof issue. The blanket is a TO and advertised as waterproof. The fact that I found that out only after the other issues is now irrelevant (to me anyway).

And just to show you that I am an honest person, if eBay makes them refund everything, I will send them a check for the shipping. (mark my words).

[QUOTE=Nuggets;7371886]
And in return for the discount, the agreement was that you accept some risk in buying a blanket sight unseen. Just because it turns out that the blanket kind of sucks doesn’t mean that the seller didn’t fulfill their end of the deal. [/QUOTE]
Maybe the seller didn’t but Weatherbeeta knew exactly what was up - this issue needs to end up back at the source - and unfortunately, with Weatherbeeta, that means only the seller can engage in product disputes.

[QUOTE=shadytrake;7371868]
I will even wash the darn thing (I didn’t tell them that).[/QUOTE]
Don’t wash the blanket - that just allows the vendor or even Weatherbeeta to claim that the loss of waterproofing is due to improper laundering.
Weatherbeeta does not interact directly with the consumer so you have no choice but to deal with a vendor & have them place the claim with Weatherbeeta.

Having seen Weatherbeeta in action, I will never support their product line - vendor had gone out of business, Weatherbeeta refused to acknowledge any contact, finally just stated that they do NOT deal directly with any consumer for any reason, so I would need to find a vendor to act on my behalf … I gave up as I could see no reason why any vendor should spend time & resources on a dispute in which they were in no way involved :no:

i personally had no idea that weatherbeeta won’t deal directly with a customer. in fact, they used to have an office in edison, nj, and i seem to recall speaking to someone at that office via telephone regarding sizing. i also seem to have some vague recollection of a weatherbeeta rep responding to a thread on COTH some years ago. but maybe that was all size related not product quality related…?

wonder if the seller had the blanket cleaned b/c it was dirtied as a demo and if the cleaning process removed the waterproofing…

what a nightmare!

[QUOTE=marta;7371948]
i personally had no idea that weatherbeeta won’t deal directly with a customer. in fact, they used to have an office in edison, nj, and i seem to recall speaking to someone at that office via telephone regarding sizing. i also seem to have some vague recollection of a weatherbeeta rep responding to a thread on COTH some years ago. but maybe that was all size related not product quality related…?

wonder if the seller had the blanket cleaned b/c it was dirtied as a demo and if the cleaning process removed the waterproofing…

what a nightmare![/QUOTE]

According to the ad, it was never on a horse. I’m beginning to wonder if it was tried and laundered. I didn’t even think about that. I guess it is possible. Maybe their experience with WB is why they are so reluctant to do a return.

If that is the case, I feel bad for them too. They are in the middle. In the end, if eBay supports my claim, I am sure we can work something out (offline through email). I am not out to screw anyone. My reputation is very important to me. My handle on eBay is the same handle on COTH (and on many other non-horse related forums).

[QUOTE=alto;7371913]
Don’t wash the blanket - that just allows the vendor or even Weatherbeeta to claim that the loss of waterproofing is due to improper laundering.
Weatherbeeta does not interact directly with the consumer so you have no choice but to deal with a vendor & have them place the claim with Weatherbeeta.[/QUOTE]

They accused me again this AM of concocting the entire story. They are now asking me to launder the blanket and return to them to test for waterproofing. I asked them how do they expect me to launder it if it won’t dry.

The issue of the lining not drying was raised in the ORIGINAL dispute. Plus the dirt, shavings, & every particle known to man sticking to the lining was raised in the ORIGINAL dispute. Those cannot be removed by washing. They would have to be hand removed, which would take hours.

This blanket has multiple defects. The waterproofing just manifested itself later.

I asked them if they wanted me to send it to them wet because let me tell you that lining won’t dry. It would have to sit for several days in the sun to dry.

It sucks that they are in the middle as this is clearly a WB problem, but they are not handling it very well by accusing me of lying.