Updated barisone lawsuit 10/29/21 post 851

I was musing about this in one of the threads as well. MB’s situation aside, how many people wrongfully detained have been in these little facilities with (as someone with knowledge mentioned) zero outdoor access for years? It’s super sad.

14 Likes

As I have said before “the right to a speedy trial” is a catch phrase that we hear to make us feel like justice will be served in a timely fashion, whether the defendant is guilty or not. It is very normal for someone to sit in jail 2-3 years before a trial happens. People’s lives are ruined, families are torn apart, credit is destroyed, and homes and jobs are lost, all while “innocent until proven guilty.”
People sit in jail or a “correctional facility” doing nothing. The name correctional facility is a joke; there are no programs to help the people in there. It is just completely wasted time. There is nothing to teach them how to change the path they may be on and nothing to teach them discipline. If they weren’t already, they learn how to be sneaky and resourceful to survive their time in there.
Prisons have programs, classes, and activities, but not jails. They are just holding tanks, while people wait for their fate to be decided by an frequently unjust system!

24 Likes

Do you have stats on how many of those that have sat in jail for a long time end up being innocent and then released? I don’t have the stats, but my opinion is not that many. Those not given bail are not given bail for a reason. Actually, I am reading a lot of the opposite lately. People getting released and then committing felonies.

I don’t have statistics on this. I’m saying that if it’s even less then a quarter of those jailed, its’s a real blow to their lives. Even if it’s 1%. We should be able to do better.

But again, that’s tangential to this thread. I didn’t mean to hijack it.

8 Likes

Where I live, you get time and a half off your sentence for time served in jail.

Also the prosecutors won’t move until they have what looks like a water tight case. So it’s rare that someone is found innocent at a trial except maybe when it’s a question of manslaughter versus accident, etc.

However, plea deals and various mitigating circumstances can reduce a sentence a lot.

We have a bail system but without the American predatory bail bond lending system. Lots of house arrest.

That still destroys your life.

I would say it’s rare here for a middle class person to be kept in jail until trial unless they are a distinct danger to others, including gang leaders, or a flight risk.

When we see a middle class person treated like a marginal person, like holding jail for 3 years, it is shocking.

4 Likes

I think it varies widely by state. It sounds like New Jersey hardly lets anybody out on bail.

New York just recently changed the law so that they hardly keep anybody in jail. So there are a lot of dirtbags in New York who keep committing crimes time after time with very few consequences.

5 Likes

On the flip side there are many many victims whose offenders get bail and they have to live in fear for their lives from that day forward. Not fun, not much worse, actually.

2 Likes

New Jersey as we learned way back in these threads has no bail. You are either kept in jail until trial or released pending trial. They were supposed to make up for this with speedy trials. That clearly hasn’t happened.

9 Likes

This “new” news seems like old news from February. What do you think?

1 Like

And you honestly believe in this case the “victim” should he worried about the “accused”? If anything, should Barisone be released or offered a plea deal, he will continue to be the one looking over his shoulder. Just my opinion based on all the testimonials from other victims of this woman.

20 Likes

The article above is almost identical to this February article:

I wonder what the purpose was to reissue this article?

Maybe they felt the need to recognize the upcoming two-year mark since the event. It does look like the exact same quote from the prosecutor.

3 Likes

The new article says there was a hearing on Tuesday. Wasn’t the last hearing cancelled? Maybe they reissued since the actual event they were citing in February didn’t happen….

There wasn’t a hearing yesterday that I can verify anywhere.

I want to thank whatever or whomever stopped LK from her raging posts.

20 Likes

Your right….I misread one as written past tense and one as future tense…

I think it was definitely her lawyer. I believe she hasn’t posted once on this thread.

She is probably reading here, though.

1 Like

I wonder if the looming national debate about evictions is going to impact the jury once the criminal case does finally go to trial……

1 Like

I don’t but this is definitely an issue for people who cannot afford decent legal representation. People wait in county jails all the time for things like drug charges too. There was an article I read a few months back about how this is a huge issue in California and how it disproportionately effects minorities.

Agreed. Everyone wants to clutch their pearls when it’s a middle-upper class white guy but this has been the norm for a lot of America and covid just essentially made it reach a boiling point.

10 Likes