Updated barisone lawsuit 10/29/21 post 851

I think what @eggbutt is trying to say is that if LK had, in the past, actually got some mental health help things might have ended up very differently.

12 Likes

Thank you for clarifying for me! :slight_smile:

La-La posted on the other thread in the wee hours this morning. Bless her heart.

Laugh, how to wake up and have more notifications than you have ever had on COTH - have LK quote you and make a long post. Then everyone quotes LK, so quotes your post too.
Laugh.

11 Likes

Wow, this is a horrific statement to make. Your lack of insight into just how much effort it takes for an abused child to grow into an adult that can function at even the most fundamental level in society is amazing.

It is often the most “successful” in a field that carries that burden. They do it not because they want to succeed. They do it because they are literally petrified by what will happen to them if they don’t drive themselves to perfection. Type A? Not so much. Trying to keep crushing anxiety away? Yes. Trying to hide the shame and feelings of inadequacy? Yes. Drive to be the “best”? No. Drive to survive? Yes.

The adult survivor of childhood abuse in their 50s had it rough. I speak from experience. We crammed our shame and fear and anxiety down and worked like crazy to keep it crammed down, to appear competent. The stress was unbelievable and our one big fear was that someone find out what happened to us.

So don’t tell me that someone who made it to the Olympics can’t be a complete mess. I am a complete f-ing mess every day of my life. I might not have made it to the Olympics. But I make it out of bed every day and I face my trauma every single day. And as someone that has lived in the trauma boat, I totally get how he could have been triggered by a hectoring bully who belittled him and threatened to take his carefully structured way of life away. Isn’t that what people said his mother was like? LK’s behavior was a trigger. It doesn’t have to make sense to us. Triggers don’t work that way.

Your comment is shameful.
Sheilah

66 Likes

I am so sorry for what happened to you.

12 Likes

Proud of you, Sheilah.

12 Likes

Thank you for posting this. Thank you.

9 Likes

Well said, and yes, it’s shameful to think that any survivors of childhood abuse are just magically over it at some age or another.

16 Likes

Amen. A lot of people just don’t get it unless you went though it and understand what it’s like.

As someone with childhood PTSD, barn drama is really triggering for me. There was some drama at my old barn 2 or 3 years ago and I was a wreck. It was probably one of the lowest, most stressful, anxiety inducing, and isolating periods of my adult life and it was due to freaking barn drama. It sounds silly because there are more important things in life than the barn but going through it was really REALLY hard for me and nobody else around me understood and I didn’t even understand why until it came up in therapy weeks later after all the drama had subsided.

Obviously I never shot anyone but my cPTSD has also never manifested in rage and I’ve also been in therapy for years. I can easily see how things could have gone south for someone else suffering from untreated cPTSD. It doesn’t mean I think they were in the right and it doesn’t mean I think they shouldn’t be held accountable and go to jail for it. I just see how things may have escalated given the circumstances. Kind of like how I can see an alcoholic getting into a drunk driving accident. It’s not ok, but I can see how things probably went south.

10 Likes

Mental wounds don’t magically heal up without scarring and evidence of damage - even if it isn’t easy to notice. To pretend otherwise is to overlook what we all know on some level and what has been investigated for many, many years.

Related example - Phineas Gage.

NODTBSOH

6 Likes

I would expect the Barisone civil case to be settled as quietly as possible after the criminal trial.

I’d buy a ticket to watch Bilinkas question these cops on the witness stand though.

10 Likes

I’d buy a ticket to watch the whole due to professional curiosity. The practice of law can be very dull or it can be dynamic.

7 Likes

Soooo
 many of us here are interested in the case, want to read what’s going on, find some of the posts problematic, are entitled to our opinion
 and yet somehow that pisses you off. Got it.

You tend to gleefully trash all posters/everyone/the entire forum for sh-stuff that only a couple of posters have done - and been called out for

26 Likes

For those who don’t think childhood trauma can affect an adult, here is an example being played out in court in current time.

Not saying this guy deserves a break- he executed a police officer.

4 Likes

Based on the “horrific” comment of mine that you quoted, you seem to be saying that someone who was abused as a child is allowed to grow up to be in his 50s and shoot someone at point blank range twice in the chest BECAUSE he was abused as a child.

I don’t know where you grew up, but that kind of excuse just wouldn’t fly among the crowd I have been around for my entire life.

2 Likes

Nope.
Not even close to what she wrote.
Nice (not really) try.

32 Likes

It’s EXACTLY what she wrote. I literally RE-TYPED the part of my comment that she quoted, and repeated the adjective she used in her post (“horrific”) to describe THAT QUOTE in HER POST.

Here is the only part of my post that she quoted:
“someone who was abused as a child is not allowed to grow up to be in his 50s and shoot someone at point blank range twice in the chest because he was abused as a child.”

Here is the first sentence of her post after she quoted me: “Wow, this is a horrific statement to make.”

Here is the last sentence of her reply to the part of my post that she quoted: “Your comment is shameful.”

How can you possibly believe that this is not even close to what she wrote? It is literally WORD FOR WORD what she wrote.

2 Likes

No, its not word for word.
You left out many words.
We can all see that. We can all read.

28 Likes

=/=

14 Likes