Unlimited access >

USDA HPA Amendment to ban stacks and chains in the Tennessee Walking Horse

Arabs have done away with the weight limit due to the variations in half-Arab shoe sizes, however we do have limits on foot length. The problem we ran into with weight limits was people who had draft/Arab crosses, where a normal shoe would easily put them over even without additional padding. The thing is, you have to be careful how much weight you put on. Past a certain point, the horse very clearly looks like it’s laboring to move the shoe, which detracts from the freedom and elegance of the motion. Granted, I ride with a trainer who strongly favors staying on the light side of the shoeing packages.

And yes, some of those dressage shoes would definitely get me weird looks at an Arab show.

[QUOTE=RubyTuesday;8795365]
Ya know, the law is on the books and has been for some time now. Writing it to be more specific isn’t seeing the forest due to the trees in the way: who is going to pay for it to be enforced, and how? As hideous as soring is, there ARE greater abuses of animals happening. Here we have one Department of Agriculture inspector for a 15 county radius. We can’t even get the necessary disease control and animal abuse/neglect situations addressed properly and in a timely manner. Who’s going to pay the people to sit at horse shows every weekend to make sure these laws are enforced?? And who’s going to oversee this group??[/QUOTE]

This link provides an overview of how the HPA program works. It is from 2010. I tried to find an updated document but was unable to
do so.

https://www.usda.gov/oig/webdocs/33601-02-KC.pdf

Another interesting opinion article from this year. It is interesting to note the amount of money spent for armed security guards needed because of the threats the inspectors receive at these horse shows.
It is nuts.

http://concernedtwhowners.squarespace.com/news/2016/7/10/ask-and-you-shall-receive-or-be-careful-what-you-ask-for-you-may-get-it

[QUOTE=Tiffani B;8792732]
Chains work on the horse’s natural instinct to “step out” of whatever is caught around its ankle. The action of stepping higher provides a greater range of motion workout for the horse, thus benefiting the horse’s joints and muscles. A non sored horse will get used to the sensation after a few minutes and stop trying to shake the chain off of their ankle. This is why you’ll only see Saddlebreds warm up in chains. After 5 minutes or so, they come off because they stop working. A sore horse will never get used to the chain on their ankle and will constantly try to step out of it. This is why they show in them - the sensation is constant when coupled with the soring agents.

Chains are an anti-training device. The claim that they stop working after five min. or so without soring is highly dubious. The claim that they work solely on the “stepping out” instinct ignores Newton’s First Law. The claim that result is constant when coupled with soring chemicals but not without them is inherently contradictory. If the horse gets used to pain (or irritation or however you want to say they are “dead” to an input) that can, and does, work whether or not there is injury involved. Humans and horses both “work through pain” on a regular and frequent basis. Whether they ought to is a separate and distinct question. Last, and far from least, the idea that “action device” induced motion is beneficial as it “provides a greater range of motion workout for the horse, thus benefiting the horse’s joints and muscles” is extremely suspect.

Can chains be used in such a manner as to cause a non sored horse pain? Certainly. So can spurs and bits. But a responsible trainer will only use them for the purpose I stated above - to give the horse a greater workout - and not to hurt them. Every single Saddlebred trainer I’ve ever worked with will STOP using chains or cuffs on the horse if there is even the slightest rub mark - nevermind an actual open sore. Honestly I’ve never EVER seen chains cause sores. Ever. They just don’t. The sores you see on those walking horses are from the chemicals - not the chains.

A responsible trainer will NEVER use a device that cannot be controlled. The chain cannot be controlled. Therefore a responsible trainer will never use them. QED.

The assertion that “The sores you see on those walking horses are from the chemicals - not the chains” is absolutely false. During my DQP training I saw countless examples of the damage chains do on feet that have been sored and unsored.

The information presented by TiffanyB is a mixture of highly suspect claims and out and out error. I don’t know if she is just repeating what she’s been told and doesn’t know otherwise or if she is experienced, does know that what she’s saying is wrong, and saying it anyway because it advances some interest of hers. In either event she’s wrong on multiple fronts.

I have an IR camera. I have worked my horse in chains and taken heat images up to 4 hours post workout. I have worked that same horse in just bell boots and taken the same images. There is no more heat caused by a light pair of chains, properly used, than a pair of flopping bell boots. In fact, the heat is in a much larger area from the bell boots and it lasts slightly longer, so my instinct is to think that bell boots are probably more irritating. And my horse gets hair rubs from any pair of bell boots he’s ever worn, but never from chains.

IR has been a “holy grail” for trying to determine soring for at least 15 years. During the late '90s the USDA made quite a push to develop IR as a practical method that would develop evidence usable in a hearing. The effort has not been successful, as near as I can tell. IR tells us one thing, and one thing only: that there is a temperature differential between objects or areas within an object. In living tissue is it evidence of blood flow. The claim has been made, most notably by Melvin Belli (the CA King of Torts), that blood flow differentials were objective evidence of increased pain. He had some success, but physicians were not unanimous and the claim has not been generally accepted within the medical community. Further, IR only tells us what’s happening. It does not tell us that what’s happening is abnormal for the subject of the IR scan. To determine that we must have baseline IR scans to show normal function (another common diagnostic tool that has this limitation is the electrocardiogram (EKG); an anomaly in an EKG is something to be investigated but is not, by itself, evidence of cardiac disease). Last, and far from least, IR scans must be done in highly controlled circumstances to ensure accuracy. The usual DQP station at a horse show was not such an environment. I don’t know what the environment of Tiffany’s barn is like. To my knowledge IR is not part of the APHIS enforcement program by either vets or DQPs. I’m open to correction if I’m wrong.

It’s very easy to assume chains are evil. Because, chains. Not butterfly wings. Not cotton balls. Chains. But really, folks, it’s the same argument when you’re talking to a person who believes all bits are evil because horses shouldn’t have metal in their mouth with a person pulling on it. You know very well that properly used bits don’t cause pain, you use bits all the time, and you would IMMEDIATELY recognize and alleviate any discomfort the horse would have from wearing a bit. Saddlebred trainers are the same. They know how to use chains correctly, they know they don’t hurt the horse because they know the signs of pain, and they never WANT to hurt the horse because that defeats the purpose of what wins in the show ring.

No, the argument is NOT the same. The chain is a “dumb” device that once installed works as long as there is motion. Correct motion, incorrect motion, any motion. The bit, spur, crop, etc. are always within the control of a competent rider.

And the trailing chains are kicking chains used by EVERY breed. They are not unique to high stepping breeds and do absolutely nothing in terms of changing a horse’s way of going. So don’t even bring those into the discussion. That’s just ignorant and trying to make something you don’t understand into something evil because it’s fun to do so.[/QUOTE]

I’ve not mentioned “kicking chains” as they are not, IMO, within the mileau of altering gait and thus are not within the purview of the HPA. However, should trainers begin to use such devices for purposes prohibited in the HPA then they would become subject to regulation.

The use of a training aid (such as a crop) to encourage a horse to “break level” in movement (or anything else) is not suspect from the get-go because it is always in the control of the trainer’s hand. That hand may engage in cruelty, but it may not. Trainer’s discretion decides. The “dumb” devices such as chains, pads (individually or stacked), weighted shoes, etc. are NEVER in the control of the trainers hand and are the hallmarks of the jackleg…or worse.

The experience of almost half a century under the HPA has demonstrated that it has not been effectively enforced by any Administration (although some have done better than others). The current effort is well within the statute and completely reasonable in attempting to attain the lawful goals of the statute.

G.

[QUOTE=RubyTuesday;8795365]
Ya know, the law is on the books and has been for some time now. Writing it to be more specific isn’t seeing the forest due to the trees in the way: who is going to pay for it to be enforced, and how? As hideous as soring is, there ARE greater abuses of animals happening. Here we have one Department of Agriculture inspector for a 15 county radius. We can’t even get the necessary disease control and animal abuse/neglect situations addressed properly and in a timely manner. Who’s going to pay the people to sit at horse shows every weekend to make sure these laws are enforced?? And who’s going to oversee this group??[/QUOTE]

The taxpayers pay for enforcement. The enforcing arm is APHIS (Animal Plant and Health Inspection Service), a unit of the USDA. The statute contains a $500,000 maximum budget for enforcement; appropriations for enforcement are usually much less. The DQP system was developed to allow specially trained people to present evidence in administrative hearings to enforce the Act. It was a way to gain a “force multiplier” in the face of gross funding shortages for enforcement. It has worked to a point, but that point was the groups providing DQPs had a variety of interests (including the continuation of soring practices) and show management hires the DQP (and thus got to pick just what kind of “cop” they wanted to enforce the law; they could choose “tough enforcement” or “wink and nod enforcement” or something in between).

During the past 20 years I’ve worked for our DA’s office I’ve seen a fair number of “animal cruelty” complaints involving horses, cattle, dogs, and cats. Nothing more exotic than that…so far. :wink: The vast majority are not the intentional infliction of pain but are based on neglect. The most common is failure to provide basic care. The most common reason for the failure is not enough money. The number of mouths the person owned exceeded their ability to fill them. We see the occasional “crazy cat lady.” We’ve not had any “Michael Vicks” or “Jackie McConnells.” We have had folks who’ve shot dogs allegedly harassing livestock. That’s as bad as it’s gotten around here. I suspect strongly that there’s worse out there than what we’ve seen but nobody has yet complained to Animal Control.

The “soring” of Walkers (and the use of “dumb” training devices) is a whole other level of human depravity. The people who do/use these things do so with malice aforethought. They know what they are doing and intend the consequences of their actions. Or if they don’t actually intend injury to attain a cosmetic goal they are more than willing to accept that injury. That, to me, is a vastly different moral and ethical stance than just “hoarding” a bunch of animals in the mistaken belief that they are preventing some greater harm.

Note that we don’t excuse the “hoarding” behavior. We just recognize it for what it is.

G.

Guilherme, I can’t quote your responses since they are inside a quote, but I’ll try to respond.

1. I understand your opinion on how chains work, and that’s fine - you don’t like them because a human is not controlling their action on the horse. That is your opinion and many, many people would disagree with you that a poor trainer would never use anything they couldn’t directly control. We’re all entitled to our opinion and I respect yours. However, I don’t classify chains as “training devices” because they are not training the horse to do anything. They don’t teach the horse to pick its feet up higher. When they are removed, the horse goes back to how it was moving before. If you’re truly “training” a horse, you want to see a change in behavior after the device is removed. They are used simply to temporarily increase the range of motion based on the horse’s natural reaction to having something wrapped around its ankle. IMHO it is similar to doing bounces or working over cavaletti - the horse is doing something MORE athletically than they normally would for a short period of time, but when you remove the cavaletti or jumps, the horse doesn’t continue moving in the same way. It just helps them stretch, step further, use themselves more, be more aware of their feet, whatever your reasons are for doing those types of exercises - and we use chains for much the same purpose. A study was done not that long ago about the therapeutic benefits of horses wearing light chains and it was found they increase range of motion and circulation. The study also found the effect of the chains wore off after 5-10 minutes. http://www.researchgate.net/publication/275891072_Rehabilitation_for_Horses

2. I stand by my statement that a sored horse will feel the chains for much longer than an unsored horse. Have you ever gotten a really bad burn? Sunburn, even? Get dressed after you are sunburned, and your clothes HURT. For hours and hours. You never stop “feeling” your bra strap right where that burn on your shoulder is. But normally, you don’t “feel” your bra strap. Yes, you feel it, but you’re used to it and it fades into the background. But get a sunburn and OMG you FEEL THAT BRA STRAP. Hell, you feel the STITCHING on the bra strap. Chemical burns around the pasterns mean the horse FEELS those chains. The sensation is MUCH stronger than if the ankles weren’t burned, and the sensation lasts much longer. This is why TWH people sore their horses. Because the sensation is greatly amplified and they get a very exaggerated reaction to the chains, and that reaction doesn’t go away because the pain doesn’t stop.

3. Chains, by themselves, will not usually cause sores. Chains, with caustic chemicals, will. So when I say chains don’t cause sores, I’m talking about the normal, humane use of chains. If they are used correctly - meaning 5-10 minutes without the addition of ANYTHING ELSE - they won’t cause sores. They might rub a little hair off if the pastern is dirty or you’re working in deep sand, but they won’t cause sores. I know this because I use them EVERY DAY and have for over 20 years and I’ve never ever had a single horse with sores. If you saw sores caused by chains, I can promise you that at some point in the not too distant past, that poor horse had chemicals applied to his skin in addition to the chains. Most likely at home, before the show, before you had a chance to see the horse. It tested clean for chemicals at the show, but the damage was already done. Please come to my barn. Please go to ANY Saddlebred barn and look at every ankle in the barn. You will be hard pressed to find sores. Do that in a TWH barn and you will see very different pasterns.

Like I said above, I respect your opinion that chains and other action devices are “dumb” devices. You don’t need to use them. We all see things from other disciplines we don’t like and would never do, while the same people poo-pooing about what WE do use those techniques and devices every day without a second thought.

I think this is a great idea and long overdue.

G.
re: Newton’s first law
Horses’ legs are not inanimate objects, they are highly organized living systems for locomotion incorporating tendon rebound, proprioception, muscle flexing, etc.

Chemically soring an object in motion. like a softball, will not make it ‘go higher’ because there is no sensation within the ball. Adding a weight will not make it ‘go higher’, either. Basic gravity acting on an inanimate object.

A dog with a loose collar could be subject to the same ‘dumb training’ argument. There is a training effect of habituation: ‘getting used to a novel sensation’. A puppy will react to having a collar put on for the first time - until it becomes habituated. Same with a foal and a halter. A young horse with a saddle with flopping stirrups. Even a human with a bracelet or watch.

Light chains or leather rings or bell boots have similar effects on unhabituated legs.

This is the point of REMOVING the stimulus as soon as habituation begins to occur or preferably just before: you are giving a stimulus that elicits a higher step, and you pair that with other signals the rider gives or the audience supplies.
The horse learns that the higher step is desirable and it will ‘show off’ when cued later on without the leg strap or chain or a pole or cavaletti. As a learned response.

The goal is the offered higher step with no leg appliance, no boot. Praise works once the response has been stimulated.

Vilify it if you will, but it is not soring when done that way.

And it IS within the trainer’s control. The trainer decides how long, how heavy the horse needs, whether the desired effect is happening, if another route or boot or terrain or work in lines or pulling a cart is what the horse needs to strengthen the desired response.

A bell boot is an object, just as a chain is. It just isn’t tarred with that ‘soring’ brush.

"The “soring” of Walkers (and the use of “dumb” training devices) is a whole other level of human depravity. The people who do/use these things do so with malice aforethought. They know what they are doing and intend the consequences of their actions. Or if they don’t actually intend injury to attain a cosmetic goal they are more than willing to accept that injury. "

I do understand that seeing truly sored horses would lead one to believe ANY measure should be taken to end soring, regardless of the fallout.

You also, however, believe that ‘dumb’ training devices are agents of the devil.
So Dressage shoes, cavaletti, poles, deep going, pads (some endurance horses use them, too), boots, chains, straps, mud, tall grass, ideally smooth footing, ANYTHING other than the rider’s natural and artificial aids is symptomatic of abuse and malice aforethought.

Sorry, I have to disagree with such an extremist position.

Actually adding weight to an object going in a circle WILL make the circle bigger (in this case, higher motion) - it’s centripetal force. That is why weighted shoes will add height (along with greater reach) to the flight path of the hoof. However, the shoes can only add so much height because of other forces at play. The horse’s strength and speed, angle of the pastern and shoulder, angle/length of the hoof, where the leg comes out of the body, where in the stride the hoof leaves the ground, if the legs are straight, etc etc etc.

I always tell people you can’t nail on motion and it’s true. All weighted shoes do is take the existing flight path and make it slightly bigger. If you have a Quarter Horse that has a very sweeping motion with no knee height, it will just sweep harder. Adding more and more and more weight won’t make the path larger - there is a limit and good trainers will stay well under that and teach the horse to move lightly on their own.

[QUOTE=D_BaldStockings;8800856]
G.
re: Newton’s first law
Horses’ legs are not inanimate objects, they are highly organized living systems for locomotion incorporating tendon rebound, proprioception, muscle flexing, etc.

I understand this. But the Law applies to the chain as well as the foot.

Chemically soring an object in motion. like a softball, will not make it ‘go higher’ because there is no sensation within the ball. Adding a weight will not make it ‘go higher’, either. Basic gravity acting on an inanimate object.

If this is true then why do people use 48oz. shoes, which presently are completely legal?

A dog with a loose collar could be subject to the same ‘dumb training’ argument. There is a training effect of habituation: ‘getting used to a novel sensation’. A puppy will react to having a collar put on for the first time - until it becomes habituated. Same with a foal and a halter. A young horse with a saddle with flopping stirrups. Even a human with a bracelet or watch.

Pretty much “no” to all of the above.

Light chains or leather rings or bell boots have similar effects on unhabituated legs.

Perhaps so, perhaps not.

This is the point of REMOVING the stimulus as soon as habituation begins to occur or preferably just before: you are giving a stimulus that elicits a higher step, and you pair that with other signals the rider gives or the audience supplies.
The horse learns that the higher step is desirable and it will ‘show off’ when cued later on without the leg strap or chain or a pole or cavaletti. As a learned response.

Your explanation, then, is that you combine a specific cue with the chain (or other device) and then you can remove the device but keep the result because of the cue. Is that correct?

The goal is the offered higher step with no leg appliance, no boot. Praise works once the response has been stimulated.

Vilify it if you will, but it is not soring when done that way.

Perhaps, perhaps not.

And it IS within the trainer’s control. The trainer decides how long, how heavy the horse needs, whether the desired effect is happening, if another route or boot or terrain or work in lines or pulling a cart is what the horse needs to strengthen the desired response.

The trainer does have the control you note but what they do NOT have is control of the the motion of the device on the foot. Every time that foot hits the ground the chain hits the foot. Refer back to Newton.

A bell boot is an object, just as a chain is. It just isn’t tarred with that ‘soring’ brush.

No; bell boots have legitimate therapeutic uses.

"The “soring” of Walkers (and the use of “dumb” training devices) is a whole other level of human depravity. The people who do/use these things do so with malice aforethought. They know what they are doing and intend the consequences of their actions. Or if they don’t actually intend injury to attain a cosmetic goal they are more than willing to accept that injury. "

I do understand that seeing truly sored horses would lead one to believe ANY measure should be taken to end soring, regardless of the fallout.

You also, however, believe that ‘dumb’ training devices are agents of the devil.
So Dressage shoes, cavaletti, poles, deep going, pads (some endurance horses use them, too), boots, chains, straps, mud, tall grass, ideally smooth footing, ANYTHING other than the rider’s natural and artificial aids is symptomatic of abuse and malice aforethought.

I’ve explained already why virtually none of what what you have written is correct.

Sorry, I have to disagree with such an extremist position.[/QUOTE]

OK, I’m an “extremist” when it comes to inflicting discomfort on a horse for cosmetic purposes. You got me, I’m guilty as charged. :wink: But my opposition is based upon a combination of education, experience, and sound science.

G.

I strongly support the proposed regulations. If enforcement was so strict that it started to impact therapeutic pads, then I’ll handle that bridge when I get there.

I will not stand by idly and let fear of a potential negative stop me from supporting something that can directly address a true atrocity occurring within my sport.

[QUOTE=DeeDeeDee;8790214]
I may be confused, but it looks like the proposed amendment refers only to the Horse Protection Act- it is an effort to enforce the HPA. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the HPA applies only to TWHs, racking horses, and similar gaited breeds. So the amendment would only ban pads etc for those particular breeds, as I read it.[/QUOTE]

Nope, it applies to all. They use it only on the gaited breeds though.

It sounds to me like there are people out there who naively believe Big Lick can be done without inhumane practices. It seems some think there might be some gray area in the BL equipment choices and that we might be infringing on people’s rights by federally banning their methods.

To anyone who feels that way, I invite you to come visit my area. We’ll go on a field trip. Once you see your first BL horse try to walk, believe me, you’ll change your mind. That is, once you stop gasping in horror. Pro tip- eat a light lunch so it won’t come back up on you.

I am not one to paint an entire industry with a broad brush, but Big Lick the most disgusting practice I have ever witnessed in the horse world.

[QUOTE=Gnalli;8801453]
Nope, it applies to all. They use it only on the gaited breeds though.[/QUOTE]

That’s how I read it. My problem is if it isn’t applied to all horses, and the ‘intent’ isn’t for it to apply to all horses, just the gaited/TWH types, then it shouldn’t say that it applies to all.

I’m a bureaucrat by trade. Give a bureaucrat a rule or regulation and they can read whatever they want into it, to support or not support whatever position they have. I highly doubt that the bureaucrats at USDA are any different than anywhere else. Everything is fine & good until the right (or wrong) ideologue is reading & enforcing the rules.

I cannot and will not support this as written. Slippery slope my friends and not one I want to travel down.

If this is true then why do people use 48oz. shoes, which presently are completely legal?

I have been showing Saddlebreds 19 years and I have never personally encountered a horse that was shod at 48 oz - the largest package I’ve seen was 24 oz with shoe and pads in front (usually carry less weight in back). Just a comparison - when I was in Weight Watchers I weighed my chunky boots and they were 2 lbs (32 oz) for the pair. I also don’t understand the general dislike of pads - the saddleseat/gaited horses generally have more motion naturally and the pads act as support/shock absorption - you don’t see runners in flip flops, why would we deny our athletes the proper support for their sport? My sister’s old western pleasure QH had more knee action than most and would get sore so we put pads on her.

Conclusions of an actual study of interest regarding pads and weight
http://soundhorseconference.com/pdf/Balch.pdf

Weighted Boots increase kinetic activity in jumpers
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19375964

Reaction to bell boots/ splint boots/ shipping boots
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Y59tBMVD8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU5jlWXJnuk

Not limited to horses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVXRMcJF3_M

There are those who would condemn the final video as abuse - if the shoes are not therapeutic or protective (Iditarod sled dogs wear shoes…).

more of interest
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15656514

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21059044

chain use and habituation
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18536846

Puppy with new collar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVHh-iEwYwA

[QUOTE=mand_asbfan;8802603]
I have been showing Saddlebreds 19 years and I have never personally encountered a horse that was shod at 48 oz - the largest package I’ve seen was 24 oz with shoe and pads in front (usually carry less weight in back). Just a comparison - when I was in Weight Watchers I weighed my chunky boots and they were 2 lbs (32 oz) for the pair. I also don’t understand the general dislike of pads - the saddleseat/gaited horses generally have more motion naturally and the pads act as support/shock absorption - you don’t see runners in flip flops, why would we deny our athletes the proper support for their sport? My sister’s old western pleasure QH had more knee action than most and would get sore so we put pads on her.[/QUOTE]

This is what I don’t understand about ASB feet. Click the link for picture of stacked ASB feet. This is not “shock absorption”.

https://flic.kr/p/L8cczj

Whether you understand it or not, most show/saddleseat ASBs are sound. No breed/discipline is 100% sound. For all of the sound and fury over shoeing, anecdotally, I have found ASBs to be sounder, longer than H/Js who carry less foot and less shoe. I never heard of hock injections until I boarded with sport horses.

The picture may look odd to you, but if the horse is sound, why does it need to be banned? Given my experience, I could easily advocate banning all forms of jumping - whether in the hunter, jumper, or eventing rings - since so many come up lame.

Like others have said, I’m not supporting TWH or soring. But don’t come down on everyone else because of them.