Unlimited access >

Used Trailer Shopping 101 for a New Hauler

Turn the bottom of the wheel in the direction you want to the trailer to go.

3 Likes

Thank you! This will be really helpful for how my brain works :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

That is how I started too! Sooner or later it becomes second nature.

No big moves in reverse. A little turn, then “follow”
 a little more then “follow”

1 Like

That’s exactly what I do. Sometimes thought I just have to stop and sit for a moment to think :laughing: Horse trailers aren’t too bad, they don’t move as fast and so are less likely to suddenly whip around. My dad’s little box trailer with a single axel and a very short drawbar
that thing likes to wiggle everywhere!

1 Like

Single axle anything is a product of the devil.

Little single axle box trailers are extremely common around here! And probably at least half the people using them
can’t reverse to save their lives. Just this weekend I rocked up to the local landscaping place to get a load of gravel, found some bright spark had screwed up their reverse so badly, they were taking up nearly all the trailer parking bays, and I had to wiggle in around them with great care!

1 Like

My arena drag needs to be backed into its little spot. I swear I spend the whole time talking to it “now, how did you end up over there??”

:rofl: My boyfriend (who has never towed anything in his life) was saying to me on the weekend “shouldn’t it just go straight backwards if you start straight?”. Yeah. No. Sure would be nice though hahaha

3 Likes

I had to back a 4 horse BP trailer with a 10’ truck camper around the trailer next to me using just the mirrors without hitting any trees or the other trailer in order to turn around to get out. If I’m in a sticky situation, I get out and survey the area and make a plan for backing. Now I have a GN and those things back very easily.

Any advice on what to have on hand for hauling?

Trailer is back from getting inspected; bearings were packed, electrical/lights are all good to go and the wood on my ramp was replaced. We just got a brake controller in that SO will be installing in the truck. I’ve also picked up a tire jack and a batter power inflator kit to top off tires when needed. I plan to keep some work gloves in the truck as well.

On the horse stuff side, Ive got trailer ties, extra feed/water bucket, pitchfork, and poop bucket. Any recommendations on things to include in a first aid kit? I imagine that would be a good idea to keep on board.

Anything else I am blatantly missing or haven’t thought of that would be handy to have?

Wheel and tongue chalks. Flashlight!!

1 Like

vet wrap, gauze pads, gauze wrap, duct tape, wound ointment like neosporin, betadine scrub, livestock thermometer, icy hot, nitrile gloves, bute, bandaids, Aleve, ibuprofin.

Extra halter and lead rope, I keep a 7 gallon container of water in my trailer in case of emergencies or at a trail head that doesn’t have a water source. It’s enough to give them a drink if needed or use for washing. A large 18 gallon corner tank is a good thing to have and doesn’t take up much room.

1 Like

Crossbar lug wrench that fits truck and trailer lug nuts.

Other things I keep in my trailer:

Folding utility knife hanging by a door (on a lanyard)
Spare halter and lead easily reachable
Wd40 and lithium grease
Wound kit (mine has alcohol wipes, gauze squares, roll gauze, vetwrap, elastikon, sheet cotton and 2 standing bandages and wraps)
Extra snaps
Spare feed/water buckets
Extra broom and pitchfork

I mean I have a LOT more than that, but that is the baseline. But what I have worked up to is a second set of EVERYTHING in my trailer. The only thing I need to load when I go anywhere is the horse, the tack/equipment and feed/shavings. Muck buckets, stall set up, show pads, grooming equip, fly spray, horses, bathing supplies, boots, saddle/harness racks all live in the trailer.

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks all. I think I will be in good shape. I picked up the supplies I didn’t already have, a first aid book and I ordered a couple duffle bags; one to keep ALL my medical supplies in and the other to keep all my hoof trimming supplies/boots/hoof treatment type stuff. This will all live in my tack locker with all my grooming supplies, but will be easy enough to grab and go when we haul out.

For my tires, I picked up a Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ Power Inflator Kit. I checked my tires last night with it and it was perfect for it! Huge peace fo mind to not have to deal with going to the gas station for air.

1 Like

Make sure you have a good spare tire (or 2) and something of this nature; https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-Tandem-Changing-Trailers-24/dp/B001V8UKBY

Someone here can direct you to the best one for your needs.

1 Like

We got one with the trailer!

1 Like

Another one I came across! Making sure the lug wrench for the truck tires is the same size as the trailer tires and if not, getting the right size.

I’ve now hauled twice and both times went really smoothly. The first was from our old barn to our new barn, and the second was last weekend when we hauled out to ride trails at one of our parks!

6 Likes

How many of you haul horses for other people if someone asks to tag along with you somewhere? With still getting comfortable hauling my own, I have now shut down two asks to tag along. God forbid something happens, I don’t want to be responsible for someone else horse.

The asking thing I think irks me a little. I was fortunate enough to have a couple people offer me rides before I got my trailer, but short of an emergency
I would not have asked someone myself. At my old barn someone asked one of the women that have a truck and trailer to borrow her rig for a complete non emergency and everyone was like
ummmm. No.

I’m sure many will think I’m the biggest A-hole on earth, but barring a very very very close friend, I will not haul for other people. The questions are below, the answers would depend on who the owner is. But too many variables for me!

The horse gets hurt in my trailer?
The horse does damage to my trailer?
The horse won’t load, which suddenly becomes your problem?
You have an accident while hauling?
Horse acts like a total psycho in the trailer and now your horse is fearful?
Their horse hurts your horse in the trailer?

And no one ever offers to chip in for gas or anything else. Screw that. Find your own ride.

Exact thoughts that have run through my head and why I’ve said no
and will likely continue to do so even as my comfort level increases.