Unlimited access >

USEF Outreach show fees

We’re north of San Francisco, a pricey part of the country, so perhaps this is the norm now (or at least here), but I wondered if anyone else taking kids to USEF Outreach shows was seeing things like nomination fees for their shows now? We are trying to budget for a show this Spring for the kid and pony and our nearest show is charging: Office Fee: $125, Ambulance Fee: $60, Nominating Fee for Outreach: $85 – and each class is $55. It will be over $600 in just fees for a few short stirrup classes. Is this the norm now for USEF Outreach shows?

I don’t show Outreach but my response to that is WTF USEF?!? Not a great way to bring people into the horse show scene!

16 Likes

No this is not normal. The whole point of Outreach is to allow people to show for less. USHJA, which is in charge of the Outreach program, charges each show $30 regardless of what category the show is and an after show fee of $2/horse. Anything more than that is just the show being greedy.

However, if you are talking about Opportunity classes, the USEF is in charge of that and the show can charge whatever they want.

5 Likes

I really appreciate the insight. The class schedule is labeled as “USHJA OUTREACH .” My mistake, I thought that was USEF oversight.

Maybe this doesn’t match the life you want to lead, but … how about a nice schooling show nearby?

People who want to show USEF will need to step up to the level.

But kids can have the same fun at an unrecognized show, or maybe a smaller recognized show, whatever is less spendy. The kids will be just as excited and thrilled, so long as that is the way their parents, coaches and friends present it.

4 Likes

That does not sound correct! Our Outreach shows, even those running concurrently with USEF shows do not have those fees for Outreach entries. I’d enquire of show management on the correctness. Those sound like the A show fees you’d normally find. Definitely ask questions!

6 Likes

We would have fun at any safely run competition. We’re not finding any schooling shows near home. I thought “outreach” meant more accessible financially.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll try to get up courage to ask.

please do not fear asking show management questions they are there to assist

We do breed shows mostly but the show mangers have always been accommodating

5 Likes

You can also reach out to Melanie Mader at USHJA who is in charge of Outreach.

8 Likes

OP, I don’t think you have the correct understanding of what the Outreach program is and how it works. First, as others have already said, Outreach is a USHJA thing and has nothing to do with USEF.

Second, there isn’t really any such thing as an “Outreach show.” Different existing shows/circuits may chose to sign up with USHJA and participate in the Outreach program, which means that competitors can earn Outreach points for certain classes at the show.

As a competitor, you sign up for Outreach via USHJA, not the show itself. We show on an unrated local circuit that allows you to earn Outreach points. You don’t have to do Outreach and most people showing there don’t. It’s just an additional option.

There are show fees and entry fees, but they have nothing to do with Outreach. Everybody pays those fees to show. The only cost of doing the Outreach program is whatever fee the show charges you for the administrative work of keeping track of the Outreach points you earn at the show and reporting them to USHJA.

So, in the show you’re talking about, the Office Fee, Ambulance Fee, and Entry Fee are show charges. If you want to show at that show, that’s what you pay. It has nothing to do with the Outreach program. The $55 “Nominating Fee” is what the show charges you to track and report your Outreach points.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, not every area has this option.

2 Likes

I would email the show secretary. I did my barns entries and we had 1 outreach client. I couldn’t figure out how to enter on SGL without paying a deposit and I just sent the show manager the info for horse/rider/owner/trainer and they entered for free.

My point is, the fees (or lack thereof) may not reflect on the entry platform.

1 Like

Thanks ever so much for taking the time for the very helpful detailed explanation. Maybe we’ll just go watch this one.

1 Like

I read this prize list and I would reach out to the secretary.

I think the nom fees would exceed what the intent is for the Outreach clientele.

That said, this is a channel 1 show, maybe find some channel 2 outings to be more cost effective.

Emily

1 Like

Thank you Emily. Are you aware of any more cost effective shows in our area?

1 Like

Sadly I’m pretty far away from your area. At this point if you don’t need USEF points, I would run towards schooling shows myself. Far more fun.

Emily

2 Likes

So one wonders, if you have to pay the normal show fees + a “nomination” fee, how is this “Outreach” (i.e., encouraging new folks to come and show)?

5 Likes

I don’t think the “nominating fee” is a standard Outreach thing–there are a couple show series near me that run as Outreach that I was looking at doing this year, and none charge any extra fees for doing the Outreach classes. Nor were there fees involved when I did shows that were Outreach a while ago with my previous horse, before they revised the program.

There isn’t even a charge to join USHJA as an Outreach member, so a hefty “nominating fee” seems really unusual.

2 Likes

With our kids (children and young horses) we often attended one just plain old schooling show, usually there were four to five world champion horses there. So just because it is a nonrated just a schooling show the competition could be impressive.

Everyone (riders and horses) had fun in a lower pressure situation at a much lower cost.

2 Likes