Unlimited access >

Username has changed since forum update

Mine normally is Jackie & Starlette - now it says Jackie_amp_Starlette

I think my name is unchanged but I am having a hard time finding or navigating anything else. Change is difficult and I am not a happy camper. I hope it gets better.

1 Like

It automatically reverts to the new (JLK2). I’ve been logging in with the same login id and user name that I’ve always used. I can log in with my email address, my (old) user name in small letters (jlk) or in caps (JLK), and in all cases, it decrees I’m JLK2, with no access to Off Topic and no history.

I did try logging out… but I was automatically diverted to this “new” account when I tried to log in again.

I logged in with my “alabama” user name/password on two different browsers and they both log me in as alabama1.

My email address hasn’t changed in probably 20 years so…

These issues and the slow performance are our two top priorities. The developers have a link to this thread and will hopefully get things sorted out soon.

Our apologies for the inconvenience. We’ll get things straightened out!

3 Likes

Can you see OT now?

Don’t know if you were only asking jvarens1, but I still can’t see Off Topic. (And I did try logging out of all devices and logging back in, entering my BB password).

Yes, I found it! Thanks!

My name has changed to Eclipse1 and it’s like I’m no longer recognized as a longtime poster? Plus I too, cannot see Off Topic! …Help @Moderator_1… I have logged in and out and it keeps taking me back to Eclipse1

We’ll get everyone back into their proper accounts…the tech guys typically work off hours, so we should get some info in the morning about resolving the email conflicts or whatever else is causing the log-in issues.

If anyone is curious, I think the OT, CE access issue relates to the fact that we needed to create separate usergroups for those categories to “grant access” to everyone. Because we sometimes restrict access to those forums and not to others, we have to be able to turn off access to them separately. The developers added everyone to those custom usergroups for those forums, but I think the new accounts are not being automatically added. So if the system got confused and made you a new username/account because of an email mixup or whatever…that new account isn’t being automatically added to the CE and OT usergroups like it should.

I manually added @jvanrens into those groups, which is why she can now see them with her new faux account.

Anyway, that’s my semi-educated guess. I’ve filled in the pros and they’ll get everything figured out! Sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime. Everyone’s posting history should be safe and sound and backed up, so we’ll get things sorted out.

6 Likes

I tried getting into OT and didn’t seem to have any issues .

I guess my username change wasn’t as bad as others… I used to be Where’sMyWhite and it looks like in the new world order that apostrophes maybe are not allowed in the username?

I’d like the apostrophe back but I can live with the underscore (as long as I remember that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I’m having the same problem with the number 1 added to PeteyPie. I changed my email and password a few months ago when the forum was hacked but it didn’t take. It still lists my old email account.

In the top right corner there is a pink circle with the letter P, which I presume is for PeteyPie. This post will be partly a test to see if my horse’s photo shows back up or if I have to reload it somewhere.

I just logged out completely. For some reason, I was having trouble logging out. It just wouldn’t let me. I logged out several times on the forum and the main magazine page, but it wouldn’t let me. Then my computer locked up so I had to force quit. When I got back on, I cleared my history and that worked. So after doing a restart, I logged in to the forum using my username of PeteyPie. As you can see, it logged me in as a new user who joined two days ago.

I have a message under this username that says I have been given access to Off Topic and Current Events.

I’m another very longtime member suffering from the weird “1.” I never had an option to enter username & pw, it automatically logs me into EventerAJ1.

I’ve lived through several forum updates… This is definitely the worst one and least intuitive compared to what we were accustomed to.

Good morning, my community alter egos!

I got word back from the developers, and I’ll just share it straight from their keyboard to you:

We have looked into this account issue, there are users with same username but different emails on Discourse and ShowGroundsLive DBs. Logging in with a different email then what is in Discourse has caused some new accounts to be created for users.

We had written handlers for such mismatches between SGL, VB and Discourse DBs. However, we’ve seen another pattern of mismatches between the SGL and Discourse DBs. We’re working on fixing it.

I’m attaching a list of users so far with new accounts and incorrect usernames below. We need to merge these user accounts and update their emails in order to get their correct accounts back.

This particular email conflict affected about 51 users, and I gave them the go ahead to merge/resolve/update emails. They’re also working on fixing the conflict so it doesn’t affect other users.

There are a couple of users who seem to have a different situation going on. @halt – There was somehow another “Halt” in the database who got your username, but that person only had a couple of posts and hasn’t been active since 2002, so I gave them the go-ahead to reassign the name to you.

@ParadoxFarm1 You’re not on the list users affected by this particular glitch. I’ve explained your situation to the developers and asked them to look into resolving it.

They are also working on getting new users automatically assigned to the OT and CE usergroups to resolve that issue.

After they get this sorted, we’ll be sure to resolve any other log-in/username issues that persist. Sorry for the trouble!

2 Likes

Add me to the list of people whose usernames are messed up :frowning:

@Moderator_1 thanks for all your hard work on this, must be a thankless job

1 Like

You just thanked me, so demonstrably incorrect. :blush:

I do remember seeing your name on the list from the developers, so you’re queued up to be fixed up.

4 Likes

I tried several times yesterday to log out and back in to try and get my old account/un-numbered name, and was unsuccessful.
Oddly, I just noticed my old profile photo in a list of posters to a pre-existing thread, clicked on it, and yup, that’s my account–but whatever email addresses/passwords I’ve tried thus far to get logged into it ain’t working.
Very strange.

@Moderator_1

Question… how hard to ‘rename’ my username from Wheres_MyWhite to WheresMyWhite (assuming the apostrophe I used to have is no longer supported in a username and was converted to the underscore) without looking all the ‘stuff’ associated with Wheres_MyWhite.

If it is too difficult or I’d loose all my stuff, I’ll live with the underscore but I’d rather not have it at all if no apostrophe. And certainly no rush.

BTW, I love seeing the side by side input window and the preview when I’m replying!!!

@Simkie, THANK YOU for all the work you did to test and pull together the FAQ! :clinking_glasses:

1 Like