Unlimited access >

USHJA Amateur Hunter Championships - Thoughts?

Just saw this release from USHJA about an amateur hunter championship coming in 2025.

Seems like a really great opportunity considering the classes will be 2’6” Low Adults, 3’ Adult Amateurs, 3’3” Amateur Owners, and 3’6” Amateur Owners.

Excited to see what location they settle on.

1 Like

I am so excited for this!! I am curious though, what does everyone think about this part?

“Riders can ride one horse in each of the height sections.”

My gut reaction is that I don’t think 3’6 riders shoulder also be allowed to compete in the 2’6, but I’m sure arguments can be made for either side.

12 Likes

I wonder if they will implement a rule, since it is Ammie Hunter champs, that no one but the ammy showing can ride the horse unless it is for cool out etc. No trainer prep, etc. That would make it a true Championship class…

33 Likes

O

Ohhh that is interesting! I like it.

3 Likes

As an amateur with a very green 2’6" hunter and a bigger jumper, I’m OK with this. At present because of zone rules, I can’t do the low adults and show my jumper so I have to do the hunter in the open divisions. Even though I can obviously jump bigger personally, I still wish I could do him in the 2’6" against amateurs.

4 Likes

i’m here for it!

I’m hopeful this will be successful - while I’m not so naive as to think this won’t be the 2’6" Olympics, I am 100% here for a cool destination/goal show. I never got to do pony finals or junior hunter finals, so this seems fun! If I ever have a hunter again, I’d be game to go just for pictures :laughing:

8 Likes

Same! I never did make it to Pony Finals as a kid, but man I really wanted to go. I’d love to do this at the 2’6" someday. It would be a really fun goal. I wish this had been a thing a decade ago when I had a great horse in that division, we would have had a blast. But this might go on my equestrian bucket list (it might be a more reasonable goal than showing in the 3’6" at Indoors…I mean a girl can still dream, but gotta win the lottery first lol).

6 Likes

Right?? This seems like such a cool thing to work towards!

2 Likes

I sure hope not. I have a demanding job, small child, and a physical disability. A lot of trainer help has enabled me to be more successful in this season of horse show life than even as a kid, but I’d have to sit it out if I knew that I could get there and have to choose between taking care of my kid/clients/saving up my body and doing right by my horse’s preparation.

5 Likes

Personally I’d like a modified version of that proposed rule - only an amateur can show the horse or do a ticketed warmup, but whoever wants to can ride outside the show ring or before the day starts.

This is AMATEUR hunters, aka people who have other jobs. I can’t afford to take PTO for two weeks to go prep my horse and make sure it gets in the ring and out of the stall. I would likely need to have someone handle those things until the actual first day of showing (whenever that may be for my chosen division). Kneecapping that for people who currently use the model to fit in showing around “real life” would be unfair I think.

16 Likes

I think that’s very fair and reasonable. No, your horse doesn’t get a dozen warm-up trips or a pro division, but don’t penalize a rider juggling conference calls and a toddler whose horse needs an AM flat session.

9 Likes

Don’t see this being practical as a stand alone event like Pony Finals…and even PF is run between weeks of regular A summer circuit shows so everybody is already there or nearby. Green incentive Finals are also there a couple of weeks after.

Would have no problem with a Pro on the horse until real Ammy can get off work to be there.

I agree with this. I’ve got my 15yo A/O hunter and I’ve been bringing my young mare up to be his eventual replacement. It’s hard, there’s a lot of juggling. I hate having to choose between taking time off work to show maresy in the open divisions during the week (like the baby greens) so that I can show my gelding on the weekend in the A/Os, or only taking one horse to a show. I get why the rules are written the way they are, but it’s a PITA for an amateur trying to develop a second horse. First world problem, I know.

7 Likes

By the way, we had a great time at WEC where there’s a “non-pro hunter” division on the weekend with no cross-entry restrictions, by the way. It runs concurrently with the regular low adults, so riders eligible there can do two divisions, but I was able to do my green hunter in the baby greens earlier in the week and still get some nice weekend mileage in a group of our “peers.”

6 Likes

Per the specs: “Commencing 12 hours prior to the start of their respective fence height section and
continuing until through competing, only the competition rider may ride his/her entry.”

10 Likes

Seems reasonable for those who say they can’t do it without their pro prepping the horse.

8 Likes

Not calling you out, as I am a working ammy as well, but again- maybe it is a judging issue ( as has been lamented ad nauseum) if we need 2 weeks off to prep the horse for the classes.

9 Likes

Well yeah. My horses currently go in without a pro division or sometimes a warmup, but the reality for these destination shows is the horses may be on site WAY before a working amateur can get there. The 12 hour rule makes sense to me, or I’d be fine with something like I posted above.

My main contention was with the proposal that ONLY the amateur can ride the horse for the whole show. Depending on the schedule, that may not work out as a good leveling system as it seems. I’m sure we will see how it all shakes out.

I would LOVE to see this become more common!