Unlimited access >

USHJA Amateur Hunter Championships - Thoughts?

Do you think the 12 hour rule is fair? I think it’s seems to be and am interested in others opinions. I’m not 100% clear (not reading the article :slight_smile: ) is there another show going on at the same time that the horses can be kept going or is it a destination event specifically for the championship? (I promise I’ll read the article :joy:).

2 Likes

12 hour rule sounds fair to me! I was just discussing a comment above and speaking generally. If all divisions are spread out over the entire week (I didn’t look that close to see if that would be the case), then it’s all a moot point anyway. However, if the schedule has long breaks for a division or clusters throughout the week, the 12 hour rule makes good sense!

Again, I was speaking to the comment about no one else allowed to ride, as well as the general tone of “well if you can’t prep your own horse then tough sh*t learn to ride better” which… isn’t the case for MOST amateurs I know that have their horses go with someone else as “prep”. Call me sensitive about the topic and maybe reading into some posts too much!

1 Like

I get it… but that’s what the baby green hunters are for…
The problem being that a 2’6 low adult hunter rider is typically a lot different than a super competent 3’6 AO rider.
If you’re doing the bigger jumps and have a youngster, the baby greens should be your answer.

If in certain zones, kids can’t do both childrens ponies and the division ponies, I don’t see why it’s so fast and loose for the adults.

6 Likes

Welp… this is the way they make the kids do it for pony finals, so seems like a fair expectation for the adults also. We’re all busy humans, and maybe this just isn’t for you based on your schedule, but it’s also nice to see people actually RIDE their horses and not just hop on the pre-prepped robot.

4 Likes

But to what purpose? Your round won’t be any different and a lot of the low adults are at the level of their competency in that division.

6 Likes

The Baby Greens run on Wednesdays, a work day.
Horses will probably ship out for this event on a Monday or Tuesday, despite some not showing until Saturday. That’s more work days one will need to take off.

So, what you are actually proposing with “isn’t for you based on your schedule”, is that this event is for independently wealthy amateurs, because all people are citing here is a basic work schedule they’ll need to accommodate, so they can pay for said event.

Seems a seriously snarky way to regard your fellow amateurs who are excited about a big event that actually acknowledges them :pensive:

Aside from that, I get the Low Adult restrictions. The non-pro divisions seem like a perfect answer for regular season shows. At Finals, you get to show your big one, and bring the other one along a bit further before it gets to attend. I do think the true 2’6"ers should be afforded a bit of protection at an event such as this.

16 Likes

The baby greens usually run on Wednesday/Thursday and the low adults are usually Friday or run through the weekend. I’m very lucky to have a super flexible life situation in general, but if I want to show both horses, I have to be at the show Wednesday-Sunday, since there’s usually nothing for the green horse to show in on the weekends. (Zone 4 and a few others don’t have this cross-entry rule, by the way.)

3 Likes

Thank you for a reasonable and rational response as always. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Whhhhy would the baby greens be running at this? You missed the point here.

Second, expecting a pro to prep your horse bc you don’t have time? That isn’t how it works for pony finals, so why would you expect the rules to change for adults? You do realize that adults need to accompany these kids. It’s the same time sacrifice. The idea being that you, as the amateur, are riding it yourself and not a pro.
This is why it’s always so tough for the kids. Nerves come into play and the ponies get into the big ring and are asked some big questions. It’s a thrill-seeking scenario and one that I’d like the opportunity as an adult to be able to also partake in.
Also, why would you think it would be only on a weekend? Pony finals starts early in the week and goes through the weekend. I’d imagine this would have a similar format. Those kids are modeling Tuesday of the week and their under saddles usually kick off on Wednesdays. I think the cutoff for someone riding is like 24 hours? So maybe the pros can sit on ponies on Monday? Unclear of that one. Granted, we don’t have a model, but if it’s that many divisions and specifically focused on amateurs, I’d imagine it will require it to kick off earlier in the week and not be in conjunction with another show.

6 Likes

I don’t think anyone’s missing the point or saying that green divisions would be running at this show; the thread just went in a tangent on cross-entry restrictions for 2’6" amateurs. :woman_shrugging:

I don’t begrudge any amateur for wanting to show up, hop on a perfectly-prepped and turned-out horse, and go in the ring. After all, they still have to find eight jumps.

6 Likes

They could just add us to PF! Moms and dads over here, kids over there. :wink: I’m kind of kidding…

6 Likes

The Baby Greens comment was in response your expectation that @Tha_Ridge, an amateur, not only take off the entire week of Finals to attend to her horse, but also at every other show throughout the season that she uses to develop her young horse.

Ponies at Pony Finals only show for two days, not the whole week. So yes, the Regulars arrive Monday along with their Green barn mates and wait around for their classes later in the week. I fully expect this event to run a full week (though it would truly be more amateur to just run Fri - Sat), but I do not expect horses will show everyday from Wednesday - Sunday. But unless you have your own trailer, your horse is likely going with the barn on Monday, and it’s going to need exercise if you can’t get there until Thursday (because, job).

6 Likes

Without seeing the rest of that paragraph, that one sentence says to me that each rider can ride only one horse in each section, IOW a rider cannot ride two (or more) horses in each section. I’m not making any jump to a conclusion that riders can ride across sections. FWIW.

1 Like

That was a conscious decision back in the day to make people utterly reliant on trainers and will never change. Unfortunately it has driven many of us who like to develop our own entirely out of the rated show hunters even as a stepping stone.

8 Likes

Yep. I don’t know about y’all, but I get 3 weeks of PTO a year that counts for vacation AND sick days. 15 days. Impossible to put miles on a greenie myself if I had something else going.

Yes, tangent to this thread. But another vote for non-pro!!

8 Likes

It’s the exact same rules as PF or JHF. You get one day with a pro, then you’re on your own. Frankly, I think it makes the playing field more level. If you have a nice horse, but don’t have access to a BNT riding and tuning your horse for a week, it makes it a little…less intimidating, more fair?? than someone who has the BNT show in 2 divisions before she even gets to the show.

This would be a stand alone show, ala PF or JHF. No “pro divisions”

13 Likes

I hope it’s popular enough for them to add jumpers. I’d totally go.

3 Likes

I doubt it and kind of hope they don’t. There are actually a lot of fun opportunities for amateur jumper riders (team championships, etc.), but far less for amateur hunters.

2 Likes

But for some of us being at the show during the week is hard due to working for a living. I realize why 3’6 a/o riders shouldn’t be in 2’6 classes but if you make up your own and you don’t have time to be there all week, it does kind of stink. I see both sides. And I just do whatever the rules say. But I can tell you
from experience that it’s pretty hard to place in the 2’6 adult stuff on a horse making baby mistakes because suitability counts.

But anyway. It is what the rules say it is.

10 Likes

You mean USHJA wrote a rule / class specification that is ambiguous? I’m shocked! /s

5 Likes