Unlimited access >

Viscount (by Valentino) Any thoughts?

Looks lovely - nice bloodlines. Modern type looking.
Any thoughts on him or anyone have foals by him?

I know there is one foal in the US by Viscount. I have one filly by Valentino (a Foal of Distinction with GOV) from this year and another on the way for next year. Halcyon Hill’s Valentino also looks very promising. Elegant and typey with very good movement for jumper bred. Also good feet and very correct conformation with strong toplines.

The ones I’ve seen over here were all looking very promising. Mostly very good type and the owners recommended them for their brains. That’s about as much as one can say thus far :slight_smile:

Ihave one outof a Don Principe/Royal Diamond dam. He is very nice. He has super conformation, correct feet and good size. I showed him at several breed shows this year woth excellent scores–as high as a 9.3 for trot, and he was Foal Champion once and is finsihing 2014 as the Reserve Champion USDF Coltof 2014. Will be fun to watch him grow up. He jump[s everything in sight and has the m ost expressive gaits.

I saw Viscount get licesenced and fell in love with him. Quite an athlete, super gaits and temperment.
Am expecting another one in 2015. Will see if the first one is unique or if I found a super n ick.

Two colts by Viscount this year at the Canadian Hanoverian inspections. Both very nice. The one from an SPS Grand Cru mare (10’s on jumping, 9 on rideability in her MPT) is quite tall, elegant type. The other, also from a good mare was also most attractive.

Wow! This is great info guys…thank you :slight_smile: Good to know the line throws good minded babies and good feet and confo. Good to know about the CDN Inspections as I’m in Canada and if I did decide to register would most likely go with the Hanov. instead of the HS that my mare is. Ooooooh, this is exciting! It’s not set in stone but I’m thinking I may have found my girl her new BF :wink: maybe I’ll put a pic in her paddock so she can stare at him all night.

[QUOTE=3phase;7882355]
maybe I’ll put a pic in her paddock so she can stare at him all night.[/QUOTE]

alongside her David Cassidy poster:)

Not trying to be rude but a pet peeve of mine. A horse comes out of a mare so is “out of” insert mare name BY insert stallion name. I see people often saying a horse is out of such and such stallion so that others then start to think that is the correct way to state a horse’s breeding.

Sorry to interupt this thread but just had to do it :slight_smile:

Oh the grammatical police lol … I just won’t start a thread when I’m tired next time.

Now, more input about Viscount… thanks for the info so far everyone :slight_smile:

Go to Edit Post then go Advanced and you can edit your title. You’ll feel better. Fixing simple problems is easy.

2 Likes

Input on Viscount would be nice, thank you :slight_smile: (people replied without being rude but just to make you 2 happy, I will change it :wink:

I met viscount last fall and he is BEAUTIFUL!! One of the best looking horses I’ve ever seen. Incredible temperament, had a group of 12+ women drooling all over him

Who’s being rude??? ha the leopard has spots, don’t ever change them! I was just trying to help you fix a post.

2 Likes

Sorry to hijack this thread a little…for those having bred him are you using him as a dressage sire? Are breeders finding him a good jumper bred stallion that can be used to improve dressage breeding? I am always curious as to who these jumper stallions are…for example Contendro I, yes, Stakkato, no. Christ had good promise but appears to have fizzled some.

I’d be curious the discipline people are mostly breeding to him for too - as I’m breeding for potential UL Event prospect. My mare was bred for Dressage, but has Jumper lines too and out of a JC dam. She’s been over x-country and doesn’t bat an eye (loves water which is nice!) I really like this guy as he seems like you could breed to him for any purpose really - looks very correct, nice jump and good mover. I wish I had a few mares to breed so I wouldn’t have to pick just one and be like ’ what if I’d bred to that stud’ lol …it’s unknown territory for me as I haven’t bred anything in almost 20 years lol. Kind of exciting though!
Contenda was one of my other choices as I like the Contendro line but I have yet to see a price on Superior -Viscount seems to have a decent fee per dose.

When I saw Viscount get licensed, I wnated to buy him for a dressage sire. And for me–as anyone who knows- another stallion other than Don Principe, my Prince, is unheard of. But as an outcross, this stallion fit the bill.

Viscount is handsome, correct conformation, really nice feet and a reasonable height. His temperment was exemplary during the kuering and in his stall. When Celle bought him(way too expensive for my budget!) I was thrilled. I was told that he was bought as an example of the versitility of his sire, Valentino, to produce both jumpers and dressage.

Based on the ones I have seen at foal shows in Germany, the breeders seem to be using him as a jumper sire.

I was aiming at producing a dual talent dressage horse. The mare has some jumper blood-Don Principe/Royal Diamond/Contender/Landadel and has done well both under saddle, in hand and has a reasonable jump. This mare has had a Fidertanz and a His Highness, both very nice horses.

But, very rarely, I have an idea outside the box. I was using several horses as a target goal to try to produce–Parcival, Paragon and Breaking Dawn. They have jumper lines and have enourmous jump in the canter and free shoulders. But I wanted something extra as well- a great temperment.

Be careful what you wish for- you may get it!! Not a bad thing at all, just some issues with how does one decide how to train this offspring? He LOVES to jump anything in his path. His gaits are top, scoring as high as he did under some tough judges. As for temperment, he is intelligent, learns quickly and is a pocket pony on top of all that.

Twice in my breeding career I have been told by the PTB that either I was wasting a mare( was in the jumper program and I was putting her to dressage sires) or I needed to go back to the basics and learn what works.
In the case of the first mare, her grandchildren are highly sought after by our FEI International riders and in the second case( Viscount) only time will tell. Let’s see in 3 more years where we are with Valedictorian MF.
I am so excited to see if the full sibling due in April 2015 is going to be as nice.

1 Like

Friendly bump - how are his foals looking?

Bumping this up :slight_smile: id be very interested in hearing how his offspring are maturing!

It is relatively rare to find a truly dual-purpose stallion these days with specialization being the norm. I have Valentino on my list of horses with good feet and legs, wonderful minds, top gaits and an ability to jump. To go with my Riverman mare with versatile bloodlines, too.

Thanks for this thread.