Unlimited access >

Vitamin E; yet another thread

Cool! Thanks very much for the heads-up :grin:

2 Likes

Hmm, that’s strange. I buy most of my supplements from Santa Cruz. Many of their products have high concentrations so I can feed way less than their recommended doses after figuring in my horses needs and what I’m already feeding.

1 Like

it’s not their concentrate, it’s the size of the scoop. Their natural E scoops happen to hold 4000IU. That’s not any more concentrated than a scoop that’s 1/4 the size holding 1000IU

What IS more concentrated is something like Farrier’s Formula Double Strength, which has (more or less) the same amount of each nutrient in half the serving size. Same with PreElite Topline Advantage which has (more or less) the same amount of each nutrient in 8oz compared to the Grass Advantage in 16oz.

Health-E makes the ridiculous claim that their product has 'the most Vit E of any on the market" ONLY because their scoop holds over 11,000IU. It’s synthetic at that, but it equates to roughly 10,000IU of natural E. That’s not concentration, that’s just a bigger scoop

1 Like

Right, and if my horse only needs 2000IU per day, I can feed a fraction of the scoop size, thereby making the bag last longer, and making it less expensive for my needs.

1 Like

Yes, and that’s what I do too, it’s just not more concentrated, you’re just reducing the serving size relative to what they say to use :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just so I don’t have to start a new thread. Looking for information regarding Vit E and the winter crazies. Any insights? Quotes from another thread

I can’t see if I responded to this or not. Our website offers multiple languages, as it is also part of our biotechnology side. I don’t know why sometimes it loads in Chinese but it is not a security problem. To change from Chinese to English, click on the three lines in the upper left hand corner of the website on mobile. That will give you a dropdown menu. Look for the globe icon. Click on that and it will give you options to change the language to.

Edited because I can’t remember my right from my left.

5 Likes

And then there’s my resident gray menace to society, who sifted through 3 quarts of chopped alfalfa and 2lbs of pelleted feed to refuse one singular Vitamin E capsule. We use the Ultra Cruz Vit E pellets now. :joy:

8 Likes

I have one of these! He can sift out Abler pop rocks too. The jerk.

The rest of them vacuum it all up no questions asked :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It’s possible, since one function of Vit E is to support muscle health. So, unhealthy muscles can make a horse “crazy” because his muscles don’t feel good, though it’s probably more likely to make him quieter since, well, his muscles don’t feel good lol But it depends on the horse.

2 Likes

I know so many use and love the Santa Cruz vitamin E. I use MVP natural vitamin E for an even 5,000 in my lanky young guy who needs muscle. It’s a bit pricier but I prefer the smaller bag actually lol. Anyone use the MVP? I used it on my late gelding too and it seems pretty palatable.

1 Like

At $.41/1000IU for the 3lb bag and .36 for the 15lb, that’s quite a lot more than the UltraCruz pellet even. Natural E is (theoretically) natural E.

2 Likes

That’s the only thing I dislike about SantaCruz supplements—the huge bags. I realize product settles a bit, but I don’t need a dog food sized bag for 10 lbs of something. It takes up so much space in my trailer (I board so I store everything in the trailer) and then scooping out of it is annoying to get my hand/arm down into it every time.

2 Likes

I have one who came down with a case of the winter crazies this year - general spooky, jumpy nonsense, which is not her usual at all. Had a couple of environmental changes that I thought maybe were contributing to it (she had a rough adjustment to a new devil donkey :joy: :smiling_imp: ), but it’s also her first winter in work with me so I wasn’t sure if it’s just the way she is in the winter. Anyway, it occurred to me that she might also be low on Vit E. I increased her supp and, sure enough, my levelheaded girl is back. YMMV.

2 Likes

Have you thought about putting it into a different container? I don’t ever keep it in the bag. The kind of squareish buckets that a lot of supplements come in fit best on my feed room desk, so anything that doesn’t come in one gets swapped out.

2 Likes

I absolutely have. Just an inconvenience is all. Not the end of the world, but smaller bags would be simpler.

1 Like

I have done this. It’s definitely doable. For whatever reason I just keep getting the MVP on auto ship from Amazon because it’s just easier to deal with in my tack locker. Otherwise I had the large bag at home and would have to actually remember to refill my smaller bag and bring it with me. I just pay for simplification at this point in my life lol. I feel like I can’t keep track of anything as it is :joy:

1 Like

I’m not sure what you’re buying, but when I get the 4lb velcro-close Vit E, I put a bunch in an empty supplement container with a twist lid, and that holds a couple months’ worth. I’m definitely NOT dipping into that bag daily, it’s tooooo hard to close it back and not have the fine Vit E powder waft out.

I buy the biggest size I want to afford at a time, which tends to make servings less $, and just put into a smaller container as needed.

3 Likes

Exactly. I may have to start doing that as well. Even the 2 lb bags of vitamin E pellets are twice the size they actually need to be. It’s just inconvenient packaging. That’s all. I’ll have to find containers that will suffice for my storage area in my trailer tack room.

Hi, thanks, it loads normally now and looks normal haha. Last year when I would click I would get pop-ups in Chinese that I couldn’t close.

2 Likes